Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

28 Pages «<2425262728>
Colson's Millenium Falcon Build Options
colson
#501 Posted : 04 May 2017 17:09:11

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

So a few last minute modifications before getting ready to install everything to the inside of the lower hull. Then all that's left is finishing up and painting the upper hull. WOOHOO!

So for starters, the short starboard corridor. Looking in through the hold, you can see the end, and it's just a black hole. I didn't really want to buy another whole corridor pack, so I did it the cheap and easy way.

Got myself a mirror...

Glued it to the end of the corridor...

And voila. A longer corridor going in to another room. While not perfect, because there is a slight gap in the floor, it still looks much better than an empty black hole.

I then drilled some holes in the wall of the forward hold wall and inserted 4 0403 SMD LEDs inside to illuminate the forward wall.

And last but not least, the rear hold wall. I did some little styrene pieces to extend the beams...

Then glued them to the existing beams...

Made a little styrene light box to insert behind the beams...

Dropped in an LED strip of 12 LEDs and again, I nice lighted rear hold wall.

So just about there. It's funny, I was one of the ones who should've been done months ago, yet I'm finishing behind many others who were behind me in getting their issues. Just life getting in the way sometimes.
darbyvet
#502 Posted : 04 May 2017 18:12:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

That hold section is incredible.It looks like the movie set.

Carl

delboy271155
#503 Posted : 04 May 2017 19:36:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Now that looks really good.

Cool Cool Cool

Well done.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Markwarren
#504 Posted : 04 May 2017 21:43:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice work, I'm at a similar stage. Looks brilliant.

Regards
Mark
Moonman
#505 Posted : 18 May 2017 12:33:07

Beautiful work once again. The lighting and mirror effect is brilliant.
JediMaster2806
#506 Posted : 19 May 2017 09:46:56

Excellent work!!ThumpUp ThumpUp
Bill-Devine
#507 Posted : 19 May 2017 17:49:02

Love it looks great nice work
Make things as simple as possible but not simpler... - Albert Einstein
Moonman
#508 Posted : 22 May 2017 16:35:06

Last weekend, I tackled Issues 89-92 which involved mounting the cargo hold and passageways inside the MF hull. To my surprise (horror!), I could not help but notice that the mounting bracket for the cargo hold interfered with my modifications to the subfloor or recesses in the cargo hold floor.

How did you overcome this fitment issue? I ended up cutting the mounting bracket in half which seems to work but would be very curious to see how others fared.

colson
#509 Posted : 22 May 2017 18:51:21

Moonman wrote:

How did you overcome this fitment issue? I ended up cutting the mounting bracket in half which seems to work but would be very curious to see how others fared.

You can see down in my post on page 22 post #427. My pit recess is the same depth as the mount legs, and I cut away the mount to accommodate my pit.
colson
#510 Posted : 22 May 2017 22:27:03

OK. Finished up the docking clamp caution lights and attached them to the lower hull. Added the cargo hold, corridors and did all my light blocking. And did the red lights on the exterior of the cockpit. SOOOO close now. All that's left is to finish painting the top hull and attach to the lower. WHOOHOO.

Markwarren
#511 Posted : 23 May 2017 07:18:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice work, just pieced the top and bottom section on mine over the weekend after thoroughly testing the lighting. Like you I can see the end in sight.BigGrin

Mark
Moonman
#512 Posted : 23 May 2017 14:21:16

colson wrote:
Moonman wrote:

You can see down in my post on page 22 post #427. My pit recess is the same depth as the mount legs, and I cut away the mount to accommodate my pit.

Thanks Mark, I thought I have seen 3D upgrades for the recesses that extended well below the mounting bracket and the interior mounting pegs for the cargo hold. I recently watched a Youtube video whereby the builder did not glue the cargo hold to the mounting pegs his reasoning being that the upper hull would keep the cargo hold firmly sandwiched in place. Oh well. Thanks again.
colson
#513 Posted : 23 May 2017 17:48:48

Moonman wrote:

I recently watched a Youtube video whereby the builder did not glue the cargo hold to the mounting pegs his reasoning being that the upper hull would keep the cargo hold firmly sandwiched in place. Oh well. Thanks again.

That would be my Youtube video I just posted this weekend. I have placed the upper section on, and it does secure the cargo hold in place very well. No movement. That way, if for any reason I ever needed to get in there to replace a LED, I don't have to break away any glue.
gedmac66
#514 Posted : 25 May 2017 13:42:22

G'day Colson ,
Didn't know you're Chris Colson from the YouTube posts ( terrific by the way ! ) ... Anyhoo , that saying about a picture and thousand word stuff - well it certainly applies...( belatedly subscribed ) will still be very helpful ( on # 63 over here ) . Thanks again for the info regarding the magnets ( alt method attaching side panels to frame - ease of access ) .
You used e-wire to light the exposed pit area ( now modded again brilliantly ! ) , I'd like to do that too , but I'm not sure how to attach it to the circuit ( supplied ) board . I've got 2 ( circuit boards - and have info on how to safely connect/piggy board them ) . But after watching your videos ( l've also purchased the JST connectors ) , perhaps your method - with separate boards is better . Because I'm planning to use an adapter , could I just connect the lead from the e-wire to a JST connector , or will I have to use the provided inverter ? .
Any advice/help greatly appreciated . Cheers again on a fantastic build , and thanks for sharing .
Ged BigGrin
colson
#515 Posted : 25 May 2017 17:04:22

gedmac66 wrote:
G'day Colson ,
Didn't know you're Chris Colson from the YouTube posts ( terrific by the way ! ) ... Anyhoo , that saying about a picture and thousand word stuff - well it certainly applies...( belatedly subscribed ) will still be very helpful ( on # 63 over here ) . Thanks again for the info regarding the magnets ( alt method attaching side panels to frame - ease of access ) .
You used e-wire to light the exposed pit area ( now modded again brilliantly ! ) , I'd like to do that too , but I'm not sure how to attach it to the circuit ( supplied ) board . I've got 2 ( circuit boards - and have info on how to safely connect/piggy board them ) . But after watching your videos ( l've also purchased the JST connectors ) , perhaps your method - with separate boards is better . Because I'm planning to use an adapter , could I just connect the lead from the e-wire to a JST connector , or will I have to use the provided inverter ? .
Any advice/help greatly appreciated . Cheers again on a fantastic build , and thanks for sharing .
Ged BigGrin

I still had to use the inverter for the E-wire. One issue I ended up having, was that most of my cargo hold is all wired together on a board attached to the backside. Well, when I plugged that board into the DeAgo board, only a portion of the lights lit up. Problem being the LED strips I believe under the corridor floors. I think there's too much current being drawn for the DeAgo board. So I ended up soldering wires to the power connecter that the supply plugs into and running those wires straight to my cargo hold, rather than having it connect to the DeAgo board. So they don't turn on and off with the remote. BUT, I will be displaying with the the exterior complete, and only take off the top from time to time to show people. So no biggy.

gedmac66
#516 Posted : 28 May 2017 08:24:04

Thanks for your reply Chris ( that o.k ? ) ,
So just to clarify , a) your set up for all supplied electronics/lighting from deago , and self added ones were attached via the two self provided breadboards to the deago circuit board , but the led strips ( corridor lights ) were eating up too much juice , so you ' spliced ' them to the external outlet lead ? . b) the el wire runs off it's inverter - can this be spliced/attached to run off the provided circuit board ? ( don't fancy manhandling her too often just to replace batteries ) . I'm hoping to purchase a 9-12 volt adapter running at 2 amps , hoping it'll provide enough power to make everything added work .

Cheers for any / all help and advice . Ged

colson
#517 Posted : 30 May 2017 03:54:38

gedmac66 wrote:
Thanks for your reply Chris ( that o.k ? ) ,
So just to clarify , a) your set up for all supplied electronics/lighting from deago , and self added ones were attached via the two self provided breadboards to the deago circuit board , but the led strips ( corridor lights ) were eating up too much juice , so you ' spliced ' them to the external outlet lead ? . b) the el wire runs off it's inverter - can this be spliced/attached to run off the provided circuit board ? ( don't fancy manhandling her too often just to replace batteries ) . I'm hoping to purchase a 9-12 volt adapter running at 2 amps , hoping it'll provide enough power to make everything added work .

Cheers for any / all help and advice . Ged

Yes, it all runs off of my 2 breadboards that are attached to the main supplied board. Only my cargo hold (LED strip portion and EL wire) is running off of the spliced outlet lead. My cargo hold is all wired to a breadboard that is attached to the back wall of the hold. The EL wire is also attached to that. I would think you could power it from the main board, but because mine is already attached to the board on the hold, I wasn't gonna change it.
gedmac66
#518 Posted : 30 May 2017 10:10:08

Chris ,
Apologies in advance , and thanks for sharing . Your YouTube videos are very informative and detailed . And your build is exceptional .
Any chance , in a future update/video of actually showing how you accomplished the extra lighting you've incorporated ' how where etc ? Asking cause I suffer a little dyslexia and words /explanations are abit harder to follow than pictures/diagrams .
Anyhoo , congratulations again on a terrific build , and many thanks for sharing .
Cheers Ged.
Nytetrain
#519 Posted : 30 May 2017 10:33:33

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Your build is going great so far Chris. And the videos are extremely helpful... Took me a while to figure it out though. I was watching it and I was saying to myself, "That Falcon looks familiar" Chris Olson? Chris Olson... Oh hell that's Colson from Model Space.LOL LOL LOL Being your Falcon is coming close to the finish line... Whats next?
Best Regards,
Ron

On the bench: DeAgostini '67 Ford Shelby Mustang, Hachette Space Battleship Yamato 2202, Agora Models T-800 Terminator
Finished builds: DeAgostini Toyota 2000GT
In the Stash: Losing count...
colson
#520 Posted : 30 May 2017 17:26:38

So I basically finished my Falcon yesterday. Though, after lighting her up, I spotted a couple pin point light leaks I need to fix and there may be just a little more painting in areas, but for the most part she's done. I did not do a terribly heavy weathering. I did try to keep it more like the filming model, which is a little more muted. I put her on my table to check her out. So here are some shots to check out.

So first up is a shot of her on my table mounted on the camera mount.

And just various other shots.

And a few shots of her opened up.

I plan on doing nice glamour shots of her with my DSLR, but for now it's just all of these from my phone.