Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

28 Pages <12345>»
Colson's Millenium Falcon Build Options
DwCr13
#41 Posted : 19 May 2015 16:40:43

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

love the work you have done so far with your kit, i just ordered mine and cant wait to get started, i love the fiber optics and want to add some to mine too. thanks for all the advice and info you have been giving!!!!
Adam

Adam
DwCr13
#42 Posted : 20 May 2015 18:25:31

Colsan,
Again, I love how your doing all the fiber optics, i want to add some to my build as well, i was thinking about taking the panel stickers to work and making photo copies and then gluing the photo copies in place to use as a guide for my dermal holes, then painting the panels the way i want them, after that running the fibers thought the holes and then placing the Stickers on top so that the lights will light up behind the sticker would love feed back and thoughts on if you think this is a good way or am i making more work for my self???
Adam

Adam
colson
#43 Posted : 20 May 2015 20:31:47

DwCr13 wrote:
Colsan,
Again, I love how your doing all the fiber optics, i want to add some to my build as well, i was thinking about taking the panel stickers to work and making photo copies and then gluing the photo copies in place to use as a guide for my dermal holes, then painting the panels the way i want them, after that running the fibers thought the holes and then placing the Stickers on top so that the lights will light up behind the sticker would love feed back and thoughts on if you think this is a good way or am i making more work for my self???
Adam

That's actually the way I did it to drill out the hole for the monitor. I photocopied, taped it on the console, then drill out through the copy so it would be in the correct spot. As for the fibers, I actually just drilled through the decal after it was in place. The fibers do stick out just a hair from the plastic, so placing the decal over the fibers would probably... A, cut down on the brightness since they'd have to shine through the decal, and B, would possibly prevent the decal from going down smoothly.
DwCr13
#44 Posted : 20 May 2015 22:23:30

two very good points, thanks for the advice...
Adam

Adam
colson
#45 Posted : 21 May 2015 00:58:45

So I'm starting to work on my navigation room interior now. I just got the Millenium Falcon Owner's Manual book for my birthday. So awesome. Has fantastic reference photos. This being one of them.

Notice the cut outs in the wall with cables and such inside.

So I decided that would make the model look a lot cooler. So I drew where the cutouts would go on the wall and masked off part of the area.

I then drilled some holes around the inside area of the cutouts and then filed down to the desired size.

And there ya go. Nice cutouts in the wall.

My next step is to get some styrene and make a little trim around the cutouts as seen in the photo above from the movie. I'll then back up the cutouts with probably more styrene and add some wires inside to look like cables and tubing and such.
colson
#46 Posted : 25 May 2015 04:05:10

OK. So I cut out little trims for the hole cutouts and painted them silver, to match the photo from the movie.

I then cut out some more styrene and made a little box to go behind the cutout.

In this box, I will place wires to look like cables and hoses. I may put some tiny little model pieces in there as well, if I can find something.

colson
#47 Posted : 25 May 2015 04:29:03

So, I think we all know the navigation room pretty well by now. There's a light just above the bench and below the bed. So, as I'm doing add'l lighting, this needs to work as well.

So I started by getting 2 - 3mm LED bulbs. I filed down the round ends and made the flat. This also helped reduce the size of them to more closely match the model part. I then soldered the lights together like so.

Once together, I painted the bulbs white, so when the lights are off, it still looks nice. Not like a light bulb.

It's just slightly larger than the model part that comes with the kit.

I next needed to do something about in between the bulbs. So I figured I could cut a straw to size and wrap it around.

At this point, a little gray paint and it's pretty close to the actual piece with the kit....

Except it actually lights up.

Once I got the bed assembled and puttied...

Primed...

And then painted.. I'm using Tamiya metallic gray. It looks speckeled in the photos, but not to the eye. A little more metallic looking.

It was then time to drill some holes to put the wires through for the LED lighting.

And put in the lights.

It was then time to run fibers into the seating area.

Paint the seat

And BEHOLD!!

Really coming along. Now it's on to the navigation console. I painted the ends of the bulbs gray as well. You can see in the photo above from the film that the lights are capped gray.

CRphoto
#48 Posted : 25 May 2015 04:37:15

Oooh's and Awe's all around. Fantastic!!
DwCr13
#49 Posted : 25 May 2015 06:47:58

man, that's looking great!!!

Adam
Myhikingboots
#50 Posted : 25 May 2015 23:40:46

Will definitely be borrowing some of these ideas! Great work!

Chuck
colson
#51 Posted : 01 June 2015 02:57:44

OK. On to the navigation console for the last part of pack 2. I've already painted the console. Now it's on to lighting. For starters, there's the little square portion in the upper right that glows red. I found a 2mm red LED that I think should do the trick. It's about the same diameter as the red dot on the part. Plan is to drill out the red dot and put the LED through.

OK. So a little snag. Because the little square piece with the dot is so small, while holding it in tweezers to drill out the dot, as soon as the drill bit touched the piece....guess what? I'm sure many of you have already guessed. Piece went flying God only knows where. So I'll have to deal with creating a new piece myself. In the meantime, it's on to drilling fiber holes.

Another little snag. I figured I'd drill the little binocular pieces that stick out of the console and put blue LEDs inside to look like the film. Well, because the little binocular pieces are so small, that once I started drilling there was no integrity for them to stay secured, so they snapped off. Ooops. Another part to deal with and figure out.

Now putting 45 fibers into the 45 drilled holes. Not much room for more.

And mounting the red LED for the little square section.

And there we have it so far.

So the little square piece I lost. I decided to glue some pieces of styrene together to build it up. Then drill out a hole, then cut around the hole to the right size. Paint and secure to the console.

So here's my idea for the little binocular portion. Take the blue fiber that I want to run down the center and just build up the binocular around it with a very small strip of tape and roll it.

Not the most perfect or ideal, but it should do the trick.

And there we have the console essentially finished.

And then put back into the hall set piece.

CRphoto
#52 Posted : 01 June 2015 04:10:03

Looking great. I love all the lights. Your detail work is fantastic and adds a cinematic feel to your ship.
For your binocular tubes, if you have a hobby shop in your area you might consider looking at evergreen scale models strip styrene shapes. They make a variety of styrene tubes that are perfect for that type of application. Brass tubing is a nice option also.
Keep up the great work and keep posting!
colson
#53 Posted : 01 June 2015 04:32:33

CRphoto wrote:
Looking great. I love all the lights. Your detail work is fantastic and adds a cinematic feel to your ship.
For your binocular tubes, if you have a hobby shop in your area you might consider looking at evergreen scale models strip styrene shapes. They make a variety of styrene tubes that are perfect for that type of application. Brass tubing is a nice option also.
Keep up the great work and keep posting!

Thanks CRphoto. I'll check into that.
galactiboy
#54 Posted : 01 June 2015 17:52:13

Man... this is turning out great! Awesome updates!

I'm planning on buying the fiber optic set you recommended from eBay. Are you aware of any tutorial resources for someone just getting started (ie no experience with lighting) with the wiring. I get the basics of how the fiber optic lights can be installed, but less when it comes to selecting power and getting that all to work.
colson
#55 Posted : 01 June 2015 19:52:38

galactiboy wrote:

I'm planning on buying the fiber optic set you recommended from eBay. Are you aware of any tutorial resources for someone just getting started (ie no experience with lighting) with the wiring. I get the basics of how the fiber optic lights can be installed, but less when it comes to selecting power and getting that all to work.

Galacticboy, the fibers come with (what the seller calls) an emitter, which is basically an LED housed in a tube that you insert the fibers into, to illuminate. It powers off of 9v. As far as additional LED's, I'm sure you can find videos online that could show you how to wire and power. 3mm LEDs are what I'm using, but they run off of 3v typically. So you either need to solder resistors on them (which is what I did) so they can take 9v, or you can solder multiple LEDs in series (3- 3v LEDs in series = 9v). I still don't know ultimately what the Falcon will power off of that comes with the kit. I may need to do 2 power sources. Though the LEDs will probably power off of 6v just fine, but may be a little dimmer.
dandare
#56 Posted : 01 June 2015 19:54:34

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Super Job Colson
some really great additions

Regards
Dan
Built - MP4/23, Zero, Deagostini Falcon, Model Airways 1903 Wright Flyer, Senna Mp4/4.
Working - Mclaren M23 1/8th scale to complement the Deagostini MP4/23 & Mp4/4
on the bench, Model Airways Sopwith Camel.
DwCr13
#57 Posted : 01 June 2015 19:58:39

Colson, it is looking great as alwasy i cant wait to see what you do with rest of the build...congrates on the great work!!!
Adam

Adam
colson
#58 Posted : 01 June 2015 20:29:52

I've come up with a solution for the little binocular section of the navigation console. I know temporarily I wrapped the fibers with tape and painted them, but I just did a test with a piece of my shrink tubing that I use for wiring and used it around fiber, and it shrinks down and makes a very nice solid cylinder that can be painted and glued in place. Will post photos once I've done the update.
galactiboy
#59 Posted : 01 June 2015 20:43:51

colson wrote:
galactiboy wrote:

Galacticboy, the fibers come with (what the seller calls) an emitter, which is basically an LED housed in a tube that you insert the fibers into, to illuminate. It powers off of 9v. As far as additional LED's, I'm sure you can find videos online that could show you how to wire and power. 3mm LEDs are what I'm using, but they run off of 3v typically. So you either need to solder resistors on them (which is what I did) so they can take 9v, or you can solder multiple LEDs in series (3- 3v LEDs in series = 9v). I still don't know ultimately what the Falcon will power off of that comes with the kit. I may need to do 2 power sources. Though the LEDs will probably power off of 6v just fine, but may be a little dimmer.

Thanks for the info.
CRphoto
#60 Posted : 01 June 2015 20:58:00

colson wrote:
I've come up with a solution for the little binocular section of the navigation console. I know temporarily I wrapped the fibers with tape and painted them, but I just did a test with a piece of my shrink tubing that I use for wiring and used it around fiber, and it shrinks down and makes a very nice solid cylinder that can be painted and glued in place. Will post photos once I've done the update.

Great idea. I cant wait to see it.