Dad and Husband
Writer for Drafting The Circuits
Radio Host for F1 Racing Plus and Drafting The Circuits
CharlesRAnderson
#82 Posted : 17 June 2015 02:37:58

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

colson wrote:

I've been using all Tamiya paints. The cockpit seats and game bench were khaki (XF-72), with some black wash and some deck tan (XF-55) dry brush. On the rear cockpit seats,the cushions are deck tan with some brown (XF-49) wash. I also painted the back seats Flat Aluminum (XF-16), then seasled with hairspray. Once dry, I painted with flat black. Then added a bit of water on the paint to soften and began scraping away the black to expose the aluminum underneath. The cockpit interior is German Grey (XF-63) with black wash. Highlights done with either dry brushing Flat Aluminum (XF-16) or using silver from the Tamiya pastels. To dirty stuff up I use the Mud and Oil Stain pastels. I also use the Rust and Sand pastels for some highlights. My wall interiors for the hall I'm using Tamiya Metallic Grey (XF-56). And again dirtying up with the pastels. Oh, and as of right now, my floor is actually a print from my computer. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to deal with the floor. It actually doesn't look to bad with the print on it. I've created a floor for photo etch, but have yet to find a reasonable place to get it done for me.

That's awesome info Colson thanks!

For things like the interior walls where you are using xf-56 are you airbrushing that on? Or is there a spray can version of these paints?
Charles R.

Building: DeAgostini Millennium Falcon...hasn't built a model since 1996...this is gonna be interesting!!
colson
#83 Posted : 17 June 2015 02:40:26

CharlesRAnderson wrote:

That's awesome info Colson thanks!

For things like the interior walls where you are using xf-56 are you airbrushing that on? Or is there a spray can version of these paints?

Yes, I airbrush it. A very light coat though. I prime it first with grey primer and then lightly airbrush. A little heavier and it's much darker.
CharlesRAnderson
#84 Posted : 17 June 2015 02:58:51

What airbrush do you recommend? I am looking for a reasonably priced one with a compressor.
Charles R.

Building: DeAgostini Millennium Falcon...hasn't built a model since 1996...this is gonna be interesting!!
colson
#85 Posted : 17 June 2015 04:13:27

CharlesRAnderson wrote:
What airbrush do you recommend? I am looking for a reasonably priced one with a compressor.

You can't go wrong with Paasche. That's what I use. Double action.
dwayneg
#86 Posted : 17 June 2015 04:27:51

Colson,
I've never used Tamiya paints, only model master and revell. I have used the Tamiya primer. I might have to add more paint to my collection. Do you thin it before you spray?
Tamiya 1/32 P-51D, Revell 1/32 Bf 109G-6 x2 1/32 P-51B, 1/32 Trumpeter Bf109K-4, 1/32 Hasegawa Bf 109E, Testors 1/32 F-117, RMF 1/35 Tiger 1
CanadianJedi
#87 Posted : 17 June 2015 15:34:24

I am loving watching your build. You are doing a great job and I am getting a million ideas. I just got my first pack of 1-4. Keep up the great work!
colson
#88 Posted : 17 June 2015 17:18:48

dwayneg wrote:
Colson,
I've never used Tamiya paints, only model master and revell. I have used the Tamiya primer. I might have to add more paint to my collection. Do you thin it before you spray?

Most of the Tamiya paints I can use straight out of the bottle. They may be just on the verge of a little thick, but I don't ever have a problem. I do have thinner though that I sometimes use if I don't like the way it's spraying.
dwayneg
#89 Posted : 17 June 2015 23:06:56

colson wrote:
dwayneg wrote:
Colson,

Most of the Tamiya paints I can use straight out of the bottle. They may be just on the verge of a little thick, but I don't ever have a problem. I do have thinner though that I sometimes use if I don't like the way it's spraying.

Sounds good. I'll have to add some Tamiya to my collection for sure. I love going to the Hobby store, I get to impulse buy also.

Dwayne
Tamiya 1/32 P-51D, Revell 1/32 Bf 109G-6 x2 1/32 P-51B, 1/32 Trumpeter Bf109K-4, 1/32 Hasegawa Bf 109E, Testors 1/32 F-117, RMF 1/35 Tiger 1
CharlesRAnderson
#90 Posted : 18 June 2015 00:41:38

Hey Colson, do you use a Tamiya primer under these paints? If so what do you use? I have been looking at the Tamiya fine surface primer in white and/or gray.
Charles R.

colson
#91 Posted : 18 June 2015 01:07:01

CharlesRAnderson wrote:
Hey Colson, do you use a Tamiya primer under these paints? If so what do you use? I have been looking at the Tamiya fine surface primer in white and/or gray.

I use the Tamiya gray.
Phil
#92 Posted : 21 June 2015 10:55:23

Wow, first time I've looked into the Falcon builds... This is amazing!
Building the MP4/4!
CharlesRAnderson
#93 Posted : 21 June 2015 14:28:44

Colson, when you put in the fiber-optics, you drill a dremel hole and feed it into the holes. But how do you secure it in those holes so that it stays flush and tight?
Charles R.

colson
#94 Posted : 21 June 2015 19:24:04

CharlesRAnderson wrote:
Colson, when you put in the fiber-optics, you drill a dremel hole and feed it into the holes. But how do you secure it in those holes so that it stays flush and tight?

I put a drop of superglue on the back side. Because I'm using colored fibers, so that I don't need multiple color LEDs, I have to pull the fiber back as flush as possible. With clear fiber and colored LEDs, you can just glue it in place, then snip off the end to make it flush. But I've had no problems doing it the way I have.
galactiboy
#95 Posted : 22 June 2015 17:07:59

Love the addition to the bench, really adds a lot to it!
Huey1639
#96 Posted : 23 June 2015 18:04:54

Totally awesome job !! I was going to do mine totally original to the movie prop but after seeing you're work and fiber optics I'm changing my mind to doing both. Incorporating a little of my ideas, yours and original. I will de attach the turret glass frame and slightly turn it to match the movie props but you're work is so neat I have to try to follow in you're footsteps and add some of you're ideas lol. Hope you don't mind. And as with others I can't wait to see what you come up with next. I'm good at this kind of stuff but I'm just a little beginner as I've never tackled a model like this before.
Huey1639
#97 Posted : 23 June 2015 18:40:09

colson wrote:
In addition to fiber optics, I also wanted to illuminate the monitor on the front console. So I drilled a hole though the plastic in the position of the monitor, then squared the hole with a blade.
I like this idea very much. I also noticed that when you buy one of those outside spot lights that come on with motion that it has a little square shaped thing slightly angled that mounts to the bottom to direct the sunlight better to the eye. It's lined with Crome inside. I'm wondering if and how it would look on the dash lit up with you're LED. When my order arrives I will have to check it out. Hmmm

The monitor looked a little washed out with an LED placed behind it, so I painted the backside of the sticker with some clear blue to color it a bit.

colson
#98 Posted : 23 June 2015 18:45:57

Huey1639 wrote:
Totally awesome job !! I was going to do mine totally original to the movie prop but after seeing you're work and fiber optics I'm changing my mind to doing both. Incorporating a little of my ideas, yours and original. I will de attach the turret glass frame and slightly turn it to match the movie props but you're work is so neat I have to try to follow in you're footsteps and add some of you're ideas lol. Hope you don't mind. And as with others I can't wait to see what you come up with next. I'm good at this kind of stuff but I'm just a little beginner as I've never tackled a model like this before.

I don't mind you copying at all. I know others are as well, and even some of the stuff I did I got the idea from others. Modified from theirs, but the general idea. I wouldn't call it copying anyway. That's one of the great things about blogs and forums, is being able to share ideas with others.
davetwin
#99 Posted : 23 June 2015 21:58:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

You are doing some lovely work with your Falcon Colson, I am enjoying following it Cool
colson
#100 Posted : 27 June 2015 19:53:01

Uhg!! I just got notice my next set of parts shipped, but I'm leaving for a 2 week vacation. So I won't get my parts till after the 12th of July. Gonna be a while before more updates. Dying to do more work on the Falcon. Still some other mods I'm considering and looking at, but have not done yet as well.