Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

How do I add "Rivets" Options
GilShapley
#1 Posted : 14 May 2015 14:18:39

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I am at present building the Jupiter Model Train. You may have seen these trains in a western usually being chased by outlaws or Indians.

The metal sheeting used to cover the wooden frames requires me to use what I think is called a Pounce wheel, this looks a bit like spurs worn by cowboys which is apt for the model I am building

Having never used one of these any advice would be welcome

Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused

Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 14 May 2015 14:31:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

GilShapley wrote:
I am at present building the Jupiter Model Train. You may have seen these trains in a western usually being chased by outlaws or Indians.

The metal sheeting used to cover the wooden frames requires me to use what I think is called a Pounce wheel, this looks a bit like spurs worn by cowboys which is apt for the model I am building

Having never used one of these any advice would be welcome

Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused

Hi Gil,BigGrin

The Spitfire build uses a pounce wheel for exactly the same thing.

If you refer to section 57 of the official build it gives you a run through of what to do.

Hope this helps.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Tomick
#3 Posted : 14 May 2015 14:34:23

Groups:

Run the tool along a steel rule to get a good straight edge.
You also need to choose a wheel which has the correct pitch for the scale you are working in, otherwise the rivets could be too small or too large.

If you want raised rivets, the the underside of the sheet is the side to rol it over, if you want sunken rivets, roll it over the top side.

Trumpeter make a rivet making tool
http://www.emodels.co.uk...-rivet-maker-09910.html

Also this set on Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/..._aui_detailpage_o09_s00

GilShapley
#4 Posted : 14 May 2015 14:57:35

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Now that's what I call service

Question posted @ 13.18

1st response 13.31

2nd response 13.34

Many thanks

Gil

Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
darbyvet
#5 Posted : 14 May 2015 15:48:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

HI Gil,
I have a pounce wheel and tried using it to make rivets on the Jupiter, but the metal is quite thick and a bit stiff and it was difficult to get good results.It would also be really tough to do that on the chimney since you will probably need filler and sanding to get the chimney smooth and that would affect the rivets you made in those pieces.

I decided to go for decal rivets.I have used these before and they are really easy to apply and look great. I got mine from micromark

http://www.micromark.com...archPhrase=rivet+decals

You build looks great so far BTW

jase
#6 Posted : 14 May 2015 21:12:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Now this is an interesting conversation...

I have been looking at one of these for adding rivet detail to the funnels on my HMS Warrior whwn i get around to her.

http://www.metalsmith.co...ivet-embossing-tool.htm

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Gandale
#7 Posted : 14 May 2015 23:46:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

jase wrote:

I have been looking at one of these for adding rivet detail to the funnels on my HMS Warrior whwn i get around to her.

Jase

Nice find Jase, may be worth sharing this one in the tools section.... Thanks for sharing.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
jase
#8 Posted : 15 May 2015 00:49:17

Gandale wrote:
jase wrote:

Jase

Nice find Jase, may be worth sharing this one in the tools section.... Thanks for sharing.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,
Thanks for raising that idea, my personal feeling is that if i put it in the tool section it may get seen as a recommendation, so i only tend to put things in there i have tried and tested, i have niot fully decided on this one yet as i can see advantages and disadvantages but certainly looks a good option for thicker material.

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Tomick
#9 Posted : 15 May 2015 09:42:15

Groups:

The big disadvantage appears to be that you would need to be perfect with the rivet spacing of each rivet, which could drive you nuts!