Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Paint for the airplanes Options
dbartonjr
#1 Posted : 17 May 2015 14:15:02

Groups: Registered

I seem to be having problems with the type of paint I am using for the airplanes. The instruct call for watercolour however I have not been able to find any except for they type children or professional artists use, neither seem appropriate. I experimented with Tamyira IJN green and Humbrol Matt 64 but when applied to metal that was primed, I have some spare, it turned out very blotchy, especially they Humbrol. Maybe it's the Matt paint versus the acrylic paint or my technique, but I am wondering what brand and type of paint you used.

Thanks for all you help and advice. 😀

Dan
File Attachment(s):
image.jpg (1,333kb) downloaded 42 time(s).
image.jpg (1,198kb) downloaded 31 time(s).

Current Builds: Yamato
On the Bench: Akagi, USS Missouri
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 17 May 2015 14:23:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Dan

I simply washed the parts in soapy water 1st then used a grey primer for cars to undercoat the aircraft and used the Tamiya acrylic IJN green and grey to paint them. I had no probs doing it this way but it sounds like you have contamination from some where affecting the finish. Perhaps a strip back of the paint now on the aircraft and a restart may cure the contamination problem if you have one. One other thing to watch also is the decals are very delicate so be careful when you apply them. Hope this helps.

I thought it would be a good thing to clarify what is meant in the instructions on the meaning of 'water colour Paint' the paint in question is acrylic water based paints for models Tamiya, Mr Gunze and Vallejo to name but a few and not the artists water colours which are a completely different type of paint and more of a wash than a true paint

Regards

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

davetwin
#3 Posted : 17 May 2015 18:46:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I would give the parts a good wash as Andy has suggested.

Are you painting with a brush or airbrush? I find that with Tamiya paints, to get a good finish, you need to build up several thin layers. I have found that this can vary from 3 to 5 layers. Personally I find that thinning them with Tamiyas own thinner a little helps with brushing
dbartonjr
#4 Posted : 19 May 2015 19:08:11

Thanks everyone for your advice and help. It appears that my Humbrol Light Grey Matt paint was contaminated, although how I do not know.

Your comment on the decals was most appropriate. The waterline decals are very delicate, it fact they did not come off even after soaking for more than 60 seconds. Do you know of anywhere were I might find another set of waterline decals, other than asking for a replacement part from DeAgostini?

Best Regards,

Dan

Current Builds: Yamato
On the Bench: Akagi, USS Missouri