Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
DwCr13 Millennium Falcon Build Diary Options
DwCr13
#1 Posted : 19 May 2015 19:11:47

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Well this is the start of my Build Diary for anything. I just got my notice that they have received my payment and will let me know when they ship the first issues of my kit.I have never gotten a model this big or detailed but due to health issue i am having to quit my years of smoking and lose some weight... so I really hope this will help me quit because I can only afford cigs or this model and the supplies i wish to put into it lol... as I am waiting for the kit i am looking online for reference pics and videos because i want to build this kit with as many details as i can. I will be modifying the kit with extra fiber optics and paint...wish me luck and in two years when everything is all said and done i will have a great Model of the Falcon...or my blood pressure and heart issues will be worse than ever!!!

Any advice people can give(besides to use a spell and grammar checker) would be of great help!!!

Adam
Impatience
#2 Posted : 19 May 2015 20:34:27

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

First of all, congratulations on your road to quitting smoking. I need to do that as well so I understand how big of an undertaking that can be, just take it one day at a time. Best of luck to you as our health is always the most important thing :)

As far as advice for the build, I don't have any personal advice as I'm just starting mine as well and mostly going for an OOB build as I lack many of the skills in modeling that so many of these other folks have. However, that being said, the best advice I could offer is to look through everyone else's build logs. The other guys are doing some AMAZING things with theirs and providing very detailed pictures of what and how they are doing modifications. Aside from that, take it slow, enjoy every step of the experience, and keep us updated on your progress! Looking forward to seeing your build diary as you get each kit!

MTFBWY!!!
Current Build: Millennium Falcon
Wish List: Lamborghini Countach LP 500S, Red Bull Racing RB7
DwCr13
#3 Posted : 19 May 2015 20:53:33

Thanks for the vote of encouragement both with quieting smoking and the build BigGrin. I have loved looking at peoples builds so far and it killing me waiting for my first few parts LOL, in this time, like i said, I am going to start getting other things ready, I have done small models before and even did a scratch built a certain blue box from my Favorite TV show(any guesses???) still working on the whole bigger on the inside trick though LOL. I was planning on air brushing and brush painting and was going to build my own paint booth. I also need to start ordering and looking for the paints and such. I have a Hobby Lobby near the house but don't know if they will have everything I need or if it would just be better to order on line.so many question so little money to buy EVERYTHING i want Confused .

Adam
darbyvet
#4 Posted : 19 May 2015 21:42:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the forum DwCr13,
great to see yet another USA Falcon build.I am forum support for USA/Canada so let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Carl

DwCr13
#5 Posted : 19 May 2015 21:44:32

Thanks Carl, I am sure i will have lots of questions, never built something this large much less post my stumbling and mistakes lol!!!

Adam
Gandale
#6 Posted : 19 May 2015 23:42:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Welcome aboard DW, I'm sure you'll love your build... good luck....

Regards

Alan
arpurchase
#7 Posted : 20 May 2015 00:06:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi DW and welcome to the forum the falcon will im sure be everything your expecting and good luck with her. May your fight against old Nick O'Teen be successful I packed up the dreaded weed about 4 years ago now, so it can be done.

Regards

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

davetwin
#8 Posted : 20 May 2015 00:21:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I am sure you will love this model and wish you the best of luck with your endeavour to give up smoking. I quit smoking myself 14 months ago, I'm not going to say it was easy because it wasn't but I will tell you that it does get easier time although I was finding myself getting some pretty intense withdrawl symptons. I used getting into moddeling as a method to help as it keeps your hands busy and your mind focused.

I also found that doing other things when you would normally have a cigarette (we call them fags in the UK) helped, for exampme in the morning the first thing I would do after getting up was have a fag even before my cup of tea, instead I would get up and do the hoovering or do some dusting, ky fiance loved it lol.

Overall, despite it being tough, I now feel much better and can honestly say I am glad I gave up. Its also true what people say about ex smokers being the worse when it comes to smokers, when I have meetings at work I cant believe how much the smokers stink after a fag Blink

Best of luck and hope you manage to stick with it, also look forward to seeing your build
DwCr13
#9 Posted : 20 May 2015 03:08:25

Thanks to all for a very warm welcome. I also want to thank everyone who has posted giving me encouragement about quieting smoking, I know its not "on topic" but really any where i can get help on that front i will welcome it with open arms...I would never wish an addiction that is as unhealthy and deadly like cigarettes(fags for my UK brothers and sisters) on anyone, everyone has the right to choose to smoke but i have to start thinking about my health, i am a divorced father of three and i want to be round for them and help them with their future models and life.
Sorry to the forum gods for going off topic!!!

Short of back on topic, went to Hobby Lobby to start pricing paints and such...ya not going there!!! I am wanting to use Tamiya paints and glues(a lot of the videos and posts I have looked at has like this brand)Funny thing is the had the primer, glue, pastel washes...but no freaking paint!!! what is wrong with this pictures lol. If anyone knows any good stores in the Columbus Ohio area give me a shout, if not it is internet buying for me.
I also stopped by Lowe's and got the parts i need for my paint booth so will have it up and running by the time parts start coming in...if i have the paints lol...if anyone is interested on that i will let them know how i built it and how well it works...
all fer now, again thanks to everyone for the welcome and advice...both topics!!!

Adam
DwCr13
#10 Posted : 20 May 2015 13:40:05

Just got the Email that my first care package has been sent and should arrive in 10 to 14 business days...ugh!!!Crying

Adam
darbyvet
#11 Posted : 20 May 2015 16:27:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

DwCr13 wrote:
Thanks to all for a very warm welcome. I also want to thank everyone who has posted giving me encouragement about quieting smoking, I know its not "on topic" but really any where i can get help on that front i will welcome it with open arms...I would never wish an addiction that is as unhealthy and deadly like cigarettes(fags for my UK brothers and sisters) on anyone, everyone has the right to choose to smoke but i have to start thinking about my health, i am a divorced father of three and i want to be round for them and help them with their future models and life.
Sorry to the forum gods for going off topic!!!

Short of back on topic, went to Hobby Lobby to start pricing paints and such...ya not going there!!! I am wanting to use Tamiya paints and glues(a lot of the videos and posts I have looked at has like this brand)Funny thing is the had the primer, glue, pastel washes...but no freaking paint!!! what is wrong with this pictures lol. If anyone knows any good stores in the Columbus Ohio area give me a shout, if not it is internet buying for me.
I also stopped by Lowe's and got the parts i need for my paint booth so will have it up and running by the time parts start coming in...if i have the paints lol...if anyone is interested on that i will let them know how i built it and how well it works...
all fer now, again thanks to everyone for the welcome and advice...both topics!!!

There is a guy in UK that has a range of acrylic paints ready to airbrush that are color matches for the Millennium Falcon.If you are planning to airbrush let me know and I will dig out his contact information.You could probably use these paints with a brush too, but you will need a few coats to get good coverage.
Tamiya paints are excellent, but you will have to mix them to get the colors you need.

I think it would be great for you to post some pics of your spray booth too.

Carl
colson
#12 Posted : 20 May 2015 17:48:18

DwCr13 wrote:
Just got the Email that my first care package has been sent and should arrive in 10 to 14 business days...ugh!!!Crying

Welcome to the forum. I see you're in the states as well. I usually get my packages within 4 days of the email announcement of shipping. So you may not have to wait long. BigGrin
DwCr13
#13 Posted : 20 May 2015 18:21:22

Thanks Carl and Colson, I am wanting to do both air and hand brushes with rubs and washes, I have really enjoyed watching Foxx and Model Making Guru and will be attempting to emulating some of his work, but any info will be great!!!
As for the paint booth i have all the parts and just need to clean and make room for it, it won't be big enough to fit the whole model in the booth but large enough to handle most things, once I get the old work table(aka my kitchen table)and space cleaned up i will post pics of that build...

Adam
DwCr13
#14 Posted : 22 May 2015 17:47:34

Well not the Falcon but I am at least building something, still need to work on the top with the light and fan...
File Attachment(s):
IMG_20150521_003310.jpg (262kb) downloaded 9 time(s).
DwCr13 attached the following image(s):
IMG_20150520_221444.jpg
IMG_20150520_225531.jpg
IMG_20150520_225918.jpg
IMG_20150520_225927.jpg
IMG_20150520_232730.jpg
IMG_20150520_235948.jpg
IMG_20150521_001243.jpg
IMG_20150521_001254.jpg
IMG_20150521_002627.jpg
IMG_20150521_003332.jpg
IMG_20150521_004058.jpg
IMG_20150521_071754.jpg

Adam
imurme
#15 Posted : 22 May 2015 22:45:17

Groups:

Could you explain a little about how your paint booth works...does it pull the air down and out the front?
DwCr13
#16 Posted : 22 May 2015 23:53:44

The way I hope it works is that I have a bathroom fan that will be on top the draws air for the tubes and opening in the front.that way it will pull air up and out, i also will be able to close the front panel so that i can leave things in the booth to dry. the whole thing works off of the idea of (neg) pressure, i know it looks really large but i wanted this way so i could airbrush larger objects.

Adam
DwCr13
#17 Posted : 24 May 2015 13:05:19

I got the rest of the paint booth ready and got my first shipment in the mail today, plan on starting the priming here in the next couple days and them ordering my airbrush and paints this coming weekend, taking it slow. hope to have pics up soon. Life is good lol.

Adam
DwCr13
#18 Posted : 26 May 2015 05:30:42

Well the Paint Booth is working great and got my first order of plastic Model parts primed and drying for the night... tomorrow will start on the metal parts.
DwCr13 attached the following image(s):
IMG_20150525_230417.jpg
IMG_20150525_230430.jpg
IMG_20150525_230441.jpg
IMG_20150525_230447.jpg
IMG_20150525_230457.jpg
IMG_20150525_230504.jpg
IMG_20150525_230512.jpg
IMG_20150525_230520.jpg
IMG_20150525_230529.jpg
IMG_20150525_230550.jpg

Adam
imurme
#19 Posted : 26 May 2015 09:02:22

Groups:

Nice, I really like that paint booth! Does the fan filter the fumes at all? Could you vent it out a window with a dryer vent tube perhaps? I am thinking of doing this too, as I am in an apartment and have no where to paint.
DwCr13
#20 Posted : 26 May 2015 13:16:15

the fan does vent out side, if you look at the top, that box looking thing on top is duct work that i made that directs air to the back of the booth to a hose that i can put out my door or a window... the whole system works great just have some minor air leaks to fix and it seems to help dry everything too
Adam

Adam