Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tip for keeping paint from separating Options
Nemesis
#1 Posted : 30 May 2015 00:19:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Just a quick tip for stopping paint from separating and making it easy to mix. I use 4mm steel ball bearings, drop 2 in each pot or bottle (more for bigger pots and bottles). Makes them like a rattle can. Keeps the paint well mixed and when the pot is empty, quick rinse and pop them into the new one!BigGrin The steel balls are cheap as chips in bags of 100 from the well known online store, I got 200 for about 2 quid, bargain considering the cost of replacing separated pots of paint!BigGrin BigGrin
ModelMania
#2 Posted : 30 May 2015 14:33:00

Groups:

A great tip Daran and certainly a real money saver given the cost of model paints these days - far too expensive to throw away!! Well done. Cool ThumpUp

Kev BigGrin
jase
#3 Posted : 30 May 2015 15:31:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I saw that tip some time ago on a magazine forum, and it defiantly works, although it won't stop the pigment separating from the carrier it makes the task of agitating the pigment much easier and quicker. also use a good paint stirer rather than a cocktail stick. I use metal ones but coffee stirrers from coffee shops are great tooBigGrin

and while we are talking tips an adhesive manufacturer told me, at a model boat show, to store glue on its side to stop it going hard in the nozzle. obvious when you think about it.

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Garth
#4 Posted : 05 June 2015 20:21:10

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi All,
Great tips!!!
My 10cents - we didn't have the ball bearings on hand, so my colligue used a couple of M3 or M4 nuts. They worked a treat.
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
Impatience
#5 Posted : 11 June 2015 23:22:03

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Does it matter if they are chrome or not? Not sure what effect the paint (acrylic in my case) would have on chrome coated steel bearings?
Current Build: Millennium Falcon
Wish List: Lamborghini Countach LP 500S, Red Bull Racing RB7
Nemesis
#6 Posted : 12 June 2015 00:01:26

Impatience wrote:
Does it matter if they are chrome or not? Not sure what effect the paint (acrylic in my case) would have on chrome coated steel bearings?

I use stainless steel bearings, not sure about chrome as its a plating.
Impatience
#7 Posted : 12 June 2015 02:06:42

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Nemesis wrote:
Impatience wrote:

I use stainless steel bearings, not sure about chrome as its a plating.

I'll just play it safe and stick with steel not coated in chrome. Thanks for this tip btw, stirring the paints is a PAIN!
Current Build: Millennium Falcon
Wish List: Lamborghini Countach LP 500S, Red Bull Racing RB7