Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages <12345>»
Al Thumbs' Falcon Options
davetwin
#41 Posted : 18 February 2016 16:50:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I'm really impressed with your paint job on this. It's all very subtle but very effective, the kind of effect that I want to achieve with mine.

Awesome job Cool
A Thumbs
#42 Posted : 18 February 2016 22:55:58

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Thanks for your comments, guys. I appreciate the support, and sharing progress is a big part of the fun of this build.
A little more progress today; some beauty marks, dashes and splooges - plus a couple of greeblies and vector plates. There's a whole Falcon vocabulary to master, let alone the painting techniques.
It's getting closer, although I could probably fiddle with it until the build is done.

A Thumbs
#43 Posted : 21 February 2016 22:06:15

Focussing on smaller sections now to catch all the details. It probably doesn't show, but there's splatter in a few places over the ventral gun and surrounding area. I'm not going to go Jackson Pollock on it, but it does break up the smoothness of the airbrushed weathering. This area is certainly close. For the upper hull, I'm building first before painting; spraying tiny greeblies separately and then gluing them on is too nerve-wracking.

A Thumbs
#44 Posted : 03 March 2016 20:35:20

More progress, although it's getting harder to tell. Any advice or comments are always appreciated.

LrdSatyr8
#45 Posted : 03 March 2016 22:43:32

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Very nicely done my friend... most impressive!
birdaj2
#46 Posted : 03 March 2016 22:43:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very nice indeed but could i ask please "what are greeblies?" Confused
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
adriuus
#47 Posted : 03 March 2016 22:44:19

That is quite simply beautiful.... Very natural looking weathering youve acheived there... I am very jealous of the look youve acheived... All your effort has really paid off .. Excellent... Keep it up
A Thumbs
#48 Posted : 03 March 2016 22:54:13

Thanks adriuus and your Lrdship! Appreciate it. I'm quite excited about how it's turning out; I've certainly never attempted anything like this before.

Tony, greeblies are, I believe, the tiny plant-on details that were kit-bashed on the original. And thanks for your support too.
davetwin
#49 Posted : 04 March 2016 01:08:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Amazing work Al, although like you say it's getting harder to tell, it's the little subtle things that really make it pop.

I'm struggling to find any advice I can give that will add to what you have already achieved, just keep doing what your doing Cool
Markwarren
#50 Posted : 04 March 2016 09:03:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

That's excellent work, you have got that absolutely spot on
I look forward to seeing more
Mark
A Thumbs
#51 Posted : 05 March 2016 14:55:44

Thanks very much, Mark and Davetwin. I look forward to following your progress too. My painting is on hold until the whole upper half comes together; I got a lot out of my system completing the underside, and the top seems as though it'll be a lot more complex.
Cheers!
birdaj2
#52 Posted : 05 March 2016 17:50:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

A Thumbs wrote:
Thanks adriuus and your Lrdship! Appreciate it. I'm quite excited about how it's turning out; I've certainly never attempted anything like this before.

Tony, greeblies are, I believe, the tiny plant-on details that were kit-bashed on the original. And thanks for your support too.

Thanks for the update - thats something else new i have learnt today BigGrin
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
A Thumbs
#53 Posted : 24 March 2016 20:05:11

Below is a montage of before/ after versions of the dorsal turret.
On the left, my first attempt with oil on the plastic as it came.
On the right, my most recent try, using a variety of techniques, plus some added greeblies on the side of the gun support (hard to see I know). The color panels seem mottled - as well as faded and pitted - on the original, and I wanted to emulate the effect.
Thought I wasn't going to touch the top hull until it's complete, but it's hard to leave it alone, dammit.

bwize
#54 Posted : 24 March 2016 20:12:12

Man, your falcon is looking awesome. Love the subtle panel work throughout and the weathering is top notch. So exciting to see what is yet to come as I am currently up to issue 28. Can't wait!!
A Thumbs
#55 Posted : 26 April 2016 22:02:58

Some work on the cockpit tube. Enjoying all the builds as they go - all inspiring, so keep the updates coming. I'm borrowing techniques from all over, but mostly making it up as I go. My first attempt to cut extra notches in the side of the tube has persuaded me not to bother with the inaccuracies on the other hull pieces - too hair-raising for me. I am all thumbs, after all.

Markwarren
#56 Posted : 26 April 2016 22:19:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Coming on really nicely, your paintwork is top notch. I see you've put the extra pipes on the top of the hull section already, looks really good. Keep up the good work, and the pictures coming.
ThumpUp
Mark
GoofyFoot
#57 Posted : 26 April 2016 22:55:23

I'll echo what Mark said about your excellent paintwork! Definitely looking forward to seeing more! BigGrin
If at first you don't succeed,

maybe you should skip the chainsaw juggling...
LrdSatyr8
#58 Posted : 27 April 2016 18:31:41

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

First thing I gotta say is I love your paint work... awesome job bro... Can't wait to see it done... but my OCD creeps on me and I can't help but point something out that once you notice it it can't be unseen! The bottom of the hull the oil streaks should go towards the turret, not out towards the the edges but inward towards the center. Since they are on the bottom they'd be going down, not up! The top hull you could do that to, but the bottom it's just opposite. I'm sorry... My OCD gets the better of me sometimes! Don't be mad with me!
A Thumbs
#59 Posted : 27 April 2016 19:47:58

Thanks, Lrd, I appreciate the comments. If you look closely on the studio model, streaks travel in both directions on the top and bottom. Visually, I like the variety it adds to the surface; it feels as though the original model makers had a strong sense of design as well as a sense of functionality. A spaceship seems like a good place to stretch logic into unpredictability to come up with something exciting to look at.
davetwin
#60 Posted : 27 April 2016 23:41:52

Excellent shop! Your paint work really makes the detail pop. It will look pretty special when finished Cool