Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages 123>»
Graeme's Akagi build Options
pemberg
#1 Posted : 04 June 2015 11:28:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi all, well I've taken the plunge as my SOTS subscription ends this month I have ordered up the Akagi and got the first dispatch at £1.
I will start the diary once I receive the first months issues.
In the mean time I will be reading through the other diaries on here and deciding if I will be making any mods along the way.
Graeme
tigerace
#2 Posted : 04 June 2015 11:53:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

hi graeme look forward to your build as i`m about to start mine will follow with interestBigGrin
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

davetwin
#3 Posted : 04 June 2015 14:04:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

pemberg wrote:
Hi all, well I've taken the plunge as my SOTS subscription ends this month I have ordered up the Akagi and got the first dispatch at £1.
I will start the diary once I receive the first months issues.
In the mean time I will be reading through the other diaries on here and deciding if I will be making any mods along the way.
Graeme

Hi Graeme

I did the same as you and took advantage of the £1 offer for the first pack, which arrived just before I went away on Holiday.

I was really impressed with the parts included, it even includes sand paper, glue, paint brushes and needle file BigGrin

Look forward to seeing your diary Cool
pemberg
#4 Posted : 24 June 2015 11:05:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I received my first pack on Friday and am impressed with the parts. After reading the other diaries on here I have decided to leave starting the build until I have all the hull frame parts ( unless I get tempted by the aircraft) so I can build the frame in one go screwed down to my build board.
Graeme
ian smith
#5 Posted : 24 June 2015 12:13:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Graeme.
Look forward to seeing your progress IanBigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
arpurchase
#6 Posted : 24 June 2015 17:42:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Will look forward to your buildCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

DSoldano
#7 Posted : 30 June 2015 21:32:45

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Graeme,

Looking forward to the build. This one is on my list, in fact, I almost ordered this before I ordered HMS Victory. Hopefully it will still be available when I complete Victory.

Dominick

On the Bench: DeAgostini HMS Victory, Moebius Creature From The Black Lagoon
Up Next: We'll See
delboy271155
#8 Posted : 01 July 2015 09:08:13

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Graeme, BigGrin

Great looking kit and good luck with the build.

Look forward to seeing your diary.Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

DaDokta
#9 Posted : 01 July 2015 10:54:26

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking Forward to your diary, Graeme!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
pemberg
#10 Posted : 13 August 2015 22:48:19

I have now received pack 3 of the build. I have decided to wait for pack 4 before starting the actual build.
There are 2 reasons for this, one is it will mean I have all the parts up to starting the planking and the second (and more important one)is that my son will be back at Uni by then so I will have room to set up the building board.
Graeme
pemberg
#11 Posted : 12 September 2015 17:02:04

I have now received pack 4 and started the build Laugh .

Pic 1 shows the build board set up with a centre line and covered with polythene to prevent the base plates from sticking to the board.

Pic 2 shows the parts received to date still in their packing. I will be leaving all the metal parts in their packing until they need in the build.

Pic 3 shows all the frame parts laid out.

Pic 4 is of all the frame parts dry fitted.

At this point I positioned the hull along the centre line of the board, drilled pilot holes in the base plates and screwed them to the board.
Pic 5 shows this.

I then removed all the frame parts, Pic 6 and then unscrewed forward of the 2 centre base plates,removed it, applied glue to the forward end and then replaced it and screwed it back down. I then repeated the process with the aft centre plate but applied glue to both ends before screwing back down, pic 7.

i am leaving the base plates to dry overnight before gluing all the frames back in place.
Graeme
pemberg attached the following image(s):
1 - build board.jpg
2 - packs 1 to 4.jpg
3 - frame parts.jpg
4 - frame dry fitted.jpg
5 - bottom plates screwed.jpg
6 - frame parts removed.jpg
7 - bottom plates glued.jpg
davetwin
#12 Posted : 12 September 2015 17:39:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great start Graeme, I love this one so will be watching closely Cool
arpurchase
#13 Posted : 12 September 2015 18:49:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nice start GraemeCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#14 Posted : 13 September 2015 00:18:42

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great to see you get started with this fab kit Graeme, I'll be following your progress over the coming weeks and months.... Good luck with the build....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Tomick
#15 Posted : 13 September 2015 11:15:02

Groups:

Congrat's on your first medal Cool
tigerace
#16 Posted : 13 September 2015 18:15:31

nice start graeme BigGrin
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Martyn Ingram
#17 Posted : 13 September 2015 18:56:38

BigGrin Very nice start Graeme looking forward to seeing more Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
stevie_o
#18 Posted : 13 September 2015 19:00:52

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

pemberg
#19 Posted : 14 September 2015 11:17:11

Thanks for all the comments guys, and the first medal.
Just a brief update. I have glued all the frames up to 26 in place and I am going to let them dry completely before adding frames 27 on asI will have to remove the bow screw and the 2 stern screws before I can fit them.
Frames 24-26 at the stern were setup using an engineers square then held in place with a couple of machined steel blocks while the glue dried.

Graeme
pemberg attached the following image(s):
8 - gluing frames.jpg
9 - gluing stern frames.jpg
10 - frames glued.jpg
DaDokta
#20 Posted : 15 September 2015 08:04:13

Good start, Graeme!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)