4 Pages <1234>
Sturmtiger Options
Tomick
#21 Posted : 09 June 2015 16:31:28

Groups:

Looks uba cool Nem Cool
Nemesis
#22 Posted : 09 June 2015 16:45:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Thanks for the comments Kev and Tomick. BigGrin BigGrin
Nemesis
#23 Posted : 09 June 2015 21:00:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Interior is now painted in the off white the Germans used, shells are built and painted and all the tools and damage to the hull are done, wheel rims painted. Everything will now get a coat of clear and left to dry over night before I do the decals on the shells and start the filters, pin washes and detailing.BigGrin Then I can build the metal tracks!!Blink BigGrin BigGrin

Nemesis
#24 Posted : 10 June 2015 17:02:11

Finished the shells. Now on with the washes.BigGrin BigGrin

Nemesis
#25 Posted : 10 June 2015 20:22:14

On with the weathering!BigGrin davetwin asked if I could do the next steps in a sort of tutorial, so this is the way I detail and weather my builds.BigGrin BigGrin
So after sealing the model I need to tone and blend the colours to give them the used and abused effect, war is not easy on a shiny paint job!LOL LOL I will start with the interior. I make all my washes from oil paints, reasonable quality not the really cheap ones as the pigment is very coarse and sinks to the bottom really fast. The first thing is a filter wash, this is a very thin wash, more like brush cleaner. For the inside I use a very dark wash, a mix of black and dark brown. The soot and smoke from the guns is the look I am going for. A small amount of black and brown in the pot the heavily diluted with turps.

Make sure to mix it thoroughly or you will find a nasty streak of colour right where you dont want it!!LOL BigGrin Then using a large brush I apply it liberally all over the interior, where it pools I absorb the excess with kitchen roll.

As you can see it makes a big contrast between the new and used look!!BigGrin BigGrin Once this has dried I then do a pin wash. This is a thicker mix, slightly more pigment and a third of the turps used for the filter wash. I use a lighter brown for this to simulate a rust colour, this is not brushed all over but I use a thinner brush to pick out seams, cables, recesses and other smaller parts and let the mix flow round them and along them to highlight and low light. It gives more depth to the interior.

Here you can see where I have let it flow around the seams and equipment, makes a huge difference. Next up is to start chipping and scratches once this has dried over night.BigGrin BigGrin

davetwin
#26 Posted : 10 June 2015 21:35:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great post Nemesis!

Thats the kind of thing I was hoping for, terminology like filters always confused me and the more I read about them the more I got confused, or perhaps just confused myself LOL

Its so much easier seeing it explained by someone who is actually doing it while they explain it ThumpUp
Nemesis
#27 Posted : 20 June 2015 18:41:05

Your welcome davetwin!BigGrin BigGrin
Right on with the next bit! Scratches and chipping and such like. Once the washes have dried, the paint now looks dirty and darker than the new paint. If you have scratched a car you will notice that depending on how deep it is you will see quite a few colours. The top colour will be faded or darker depending on where it is but the scratch will show fresh paint, and if it is deep you will also see base coat, primer and then the metal. On this basis, it is how I do my chips and scratches. With a fine brush I apply the fresh top coat.

The fresh paint is hard to see in the picture but it stands out nicely. Once it is dry I then use hull red to simulate the red oxide primer, and with a really fine brush, paint over the fresh white leaving the edges exposed.

Then once thats dry, on high wear areas and edges, I do the same again with steel and also dry brush.

Again left to dry and then a coat of matt varnish to seal it all up. Left to dry over night and then add pigments and rust etc, and a black wash to give the sooty look.

The interior does not need as much work as the outside, so here we go with the same sequence for the exterior, but this is more detailed, used and abused. Filter wash done, and once dried I can do the pin washes.

You can see the difference in the next 2 pictures, the first one is blended and softer tones, where the last on is bright and sharp.

jase
#28 Posted : 20 June 2015 22:41:37

Looks fantastic. interested in how you did the spots on the camouflage was it wit balls of blu-tak?

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
davetwin
#29 Posted : 20 June 2015 23:27:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Cool Awesome work as always Nem, and a pleasure to read and learn about the techniques
stevie_o
#30 Posted : 21 June 2015 00:15:50

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nemesis
#31 Posted : 22 June 2015 09:46:48

Thanks for looking in and the comments everyone. The spots for the camo were done with a round tipped brush jase.
ModelMania
#32 Posted : 23 June 2015 22:23:55

Groups:

Another stunning build from you Daran and great testament to your talent as an armour modeller. Great weathering tutorial too my friend, well explained and easy to understand and well done you for taking the time to show the way to others!!

Looking forward to the next update. Cool ThumpUp

Kev BigGrin
Nemesis
#33 Posted : 24 April 2016 15:01:15

Well I suppose I should put these together before I carry on with the weathering as it would look a bit daft with brand new tracks and a beaten up tank!!LOL BigGrin

Nemesis attached the following image(s):
20160424_145904.jpg
arpurchase
#34 Posted : 24 April 2016 22:19:31

BigGrin Blink Blink Drool Have funLOL Love Laugh Cool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Nemesis
#35 Posted : 25 April 2016 07:38:26

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Blink Blink Drool Have funLOL Love Laugh Cool

Gee thanks!!LOL LOL LOL LOL
Nemesis
#36 Posted : 15 June 2016 18:33:16

Well I managed to get one side done at last!!! (yawn! lol)

20160615_182859.jpg
kenjara
#37 Posted : 13 July 2016 12:39:42

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking forward to seeing this one complete, it looks great so far.

Loverly camo scheme and good to see you went with metal tracks after putting so much effort in I don't think plastic ones would do it justice.
Finished 3D Printer, RB7, Hummer, Skyrider drone & Combat tank collection

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
davetwin
#38 Posted : 13 July 2016 15:16:30

Metal tracks look very nice, how long did it take to out them together, a bit of patience needed I should imagine
Nemesis
#39 Posted : 13 July 2016 17:26:35

Thanks for looking in peeps. The tracks take about an hour a side to pin and the same to clean out the link holes, got them down to a fine art now!!
Nemesis
#40 Posted : 24 September 2016 19:25:58

At last I have finished both sides! LOL I can get some paint on them now and get them fitted, may actually get this finished!!LOL
20160924_192035.jpg