Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

14 Pages 123>»
Greyhawks Lunch Break D51 (DONE!!!!) Options
greyhawk
#1 Posted : 10 June 2015 13:43:46

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

EDIT: As the deadline has been extended, I'm entering this build diary into the Build of the Year 2015 contest. I'm offering free hugs for everyone that votes for me.

This will be a straight out of box bare metal build featuring only Roys decals and the display case as enhancements.

Why Underexperienced?

I have no experience with building metal models at all, apart from thoroughly screwing up some Metal Earth Star Wars models. Yup, those. The ones for kids. I've also (badly) built a few plastic model cars. I know nothing about CA glue, epoxy, files, screws or anything else we'll be encountering along this ride. So this will be a learning experience.

Everything is working out better than expected.

Why Lunch Break?

The D51 is intended to take its place on my rather large office window sill. Seeing as how my lunch break is way too long, I have decided to build the train in situ in 10 to 15 minute sessions during my lunch break, transporting tools as needed per building stage into and out of the office.

Why Slightly OCD?

The build report is intended to feature a running tally of parts & screws count and weight per building stage. Yeah.... we'll see how that goes.

Turns out it's hard to weigh things if your scale flakes out on you.
stevie_o
#2 Posted : 10 June 2015 13:50:50

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to Modelspace GreyhawkBigGrin Look forward to your lunchbreak build diary.

Be careful with finger prints on the bare metal though, especially if you are eating fried chickenLOL

Steve
greyhawk
#3 Posted : 10 June 2015 14:32:33

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Phase 1: Sunday 07 June 2015

Returning thorougly sleep deprived after a three day vacation to the Africa Festival in Würzburg, Germany (yeah, I "wait, what?"ed too first I heard of this) I stumble over a cute little package helpfully dumped in front of my apartment door by the neighbors.

Instantly recognizing it as my first eagerly awaited D51 delivery I immediately rip into the carton while simultaneously trying to somehow open my door and shoving my luggage inside.

Inside the package I find the first four deliveries including building instructions beautifully packaged in blister packs.

Still in traveling clothes and shoes I tear open package 1 and pop the accompanying DVD into the Playstation. I open-mouth stare at the TV displaying beautiful scenes of the D51 traversing Japan while a Japanese man excitedly shouts Japanese things in Japanese. Yeah, this could use an .srt-file, but it's pretty nonetheless.

The rest of the day is spent packing tools, cleaning up and bringing to a sheen each individual piece with isopropyl alcohol first and a thinned vinegaric acid solution second.

Mondays lunch break is going to be awesome.

With Pack 1 we get
- a boiler ring
- a smoke box front plate
- the smoke box door
- 2 hinges
- a number plate
- a length of brass wire
- a distance holder for the number plate
- and a DVD about D51

The parts weigh in at 95 grams, featuring 10 parts, no screws, no extra screws. (this omits the distance holder and DVD, the brass wire is counted as four parts)
greyhawk
#4 Posted : 10 June 2015 15:10:51

Phase 1: Monday 08 June 2015 - Assembling the number plate

After hastily wolfing down the company mess provided lamb goulash, I lock myself in my office, reroute the phone and spread out todays tasks, tools and parts before me.

We're going to fit the number plate with four segments of the brass wire, which will be later used to attach the plate to the smoke box door.

I immediately learn two things:
- snipping a brass wire in half immediately turns it into a very agile miniature plane
- grey black carpet isn't all that nice a place to lose a miniature plane in

After my short treasure hunt in the Carpet of Doom I proceed with sanding the wire edges with 400 grit sandpaper until they hurt less.

Also pictured: me being very good with estimating "one-half" of things and with good I mean bad.

I slot the wire segments into place on the plate and secure them with CA glue, which works surprisingly uneventful considering people seem to be so afraid of the stuff.

With the assembled plate drying till tomorrow this concludes day 1 of oh god, what have i begun?
greyhawk
#5 Posted : 10 June 2015 15:38:31

Phase 1: Tuesday 09 June 2015 - Mounting the number plate

Chili con carne today. I need the strength, I'm lugging locomotive doors around.

Pictured: todays tools and parts. Also note the speck of dried CA glue left over from when I was too eagerly test fitting yesterday when the glue was still wet. This of course led me to almost order package 1 again, because clearly I utterly and totally screwed up the whole build with that. Then I noticed it's hidden under the plate and no one will ever see it unless he knows. And now that I mentioned it here on these internets, no one will ever know.

Fitting the plate to the door while trying to place the distance holder proved to be quite fiddly especially as the clamp turned out to not only not really help, but instead push out the distance holder from the place it should be.

Nonetheless eventually the center held and things stopped falling apart.

In case you're wondering why this side of the door looks like this instead of being spotted with white gray gunk: vinegar and toothbrushes are a godsend.

After the CA glue has thoroughly dried, the excess wire was snipped and I'm done for the day.

darbyvet
#6 Posted : 10 June 2015 16:01:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Great choice Greyhawk,
this kit is tons of fun to build and will look awesome on your office window sill.People will find reasons to come into your office just to admire your train and when you show them the moving wheels and sound effects they will never leave and you become a legend in your company.

Carl
davetwin
#7 Posted : 10 June 2015 16:35:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This is a great looking model, so much so that even though I am not into train models it is still on my want list. BigGrin

Looks like you are doing well with this, look forword to following
greyhawk
#8 Posted : 10 June 2015 16:51:33

darbyvet wrote:
People will find reasons to come into your office just to admire your train and when you show them the moving wheels and sound effects they will never leave and you become a legend in your company.

I'd certainly hope so. BigGrin

davetwin wrote:
This is a great looking model, so much so that even though I am not into train models it is still on my want list. BigGrin

This. Very much this. I'm actually not into trains at all, but this thing looks so nice it still manages to make me drool.

ModelSpace just confirmed they will indeed send the case to Germany, so yay for me. Now I just need to find a place to store it for two years and then find it again. I should write the location down in a building diary or something.
greyhawk
#9 Posted : 10 June 2015 17:21:15

Phase 1: Wednesday 10 June 2015 - Assembling the smoke box front

This day features Nürnberg sausage with gravy, mashed potato and cold strawberry soup.

Also metal rings and weird glue.

Spending some time the last days to read up on epoxy glues, I knew I would be in for something interesting today.

Sure enough I follow the instructions to the letter and promptly screw up the first batch. The instructions advice me two mix up the two chemicals for about 3 minutes which would leave 5 further minutes to apply the glue and set the parts correctly.
Which is exactly as I do until about 2 minutes into the mixing process the glue suddenly solidifies into a semi-hard glop which I desperately pry from the mixing plate. By the time i'm done prying the whole thing is hard as a brick. This went well.

Second time I'm smarter: I mix for a minute, slap on the goo, put the smoke box front on the boiler ring, adjust the fit with some toothpicks through the holes and let it harden. Perfect.

Two small concerns however.

Even though all the holes are perfectly aligned thanks to the toothpicks, there is some very slight displacement at the gap at the very top of the rings. I have seen similar displacements in some other build reports so I hope this will not bite me in the buttocks in the long run.

Also there's a small gap between both rings of about a third to half a millimeter, which I'll attribute to the epoxy. I've not been able to picture it all that good.
Hopefully this will not lead to the front ring protruding when I install the rest of the smoke box, otherwise I'll be forced to rip this apart and sand it down again, which I really don't fancy.

Or maybe I'm just paranoid.
arpurchase
#10 Posted : 10 June 2015 21:30:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Hawk

The gap shouldnt be a problem and the same for the screw mounting holes, you could also use clamps like these to help get a closer joint,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sc...ing+clamps&_sacat=0

Regards

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

greyhawk
#11 Posted : 10 June 2015 22:28:03

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi Hawk

The gap shouldnt be a problem and the same for the screw mounting holes, you could also use clamps like these to help get a closer joint,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sc...ing+clamps&_sacat=0

Regards

AndyCool

Yeah, I had three of those around the ring while the glue was setting, which was why the small gap surprised me so much. On the other hand I really only have experience with glues for plastic modeling so the different behaviour of epoxy is something I'll have to keep in mind.
rosewoodhill
#12 Posted : 11 June 2015 05:30:17

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Grayhawk.

This is going to be the best build diary evar! ThumpUp

Perhaps you could also include a pic of whats for lunch each day? Maybe I'm just saying that 'cause I'm hungry right now...

This kit is still on my "want list", maybe when my Samurai subscription ends at the end of this year.

Cheers, Gord.
Subscribed: Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa

In The Last Few Years Builds: DeAgostini Samurai Armour Kobayashi Kougei: 1/100 Horyuji Kondo, 1/100 Horyuji Inner Gate, 1/36 Muro-ji Five-Story Pagoda, Public Bath House of Showa, Model Shipyard: 1/72 Los Morrillos de Cabo Rojo Lighthouse. 1/72 Kermorvan Lighthouse
Woody Joe: 1/150 Azuchi Castle.

Building: Kobayashi Kougei: 1/100 Himeji Castle, 1/70 ji Kinkaku.

Received but not started: Woody Joe 1/50 Ishiyamadera Pagoda
greyhawk
#13 Posted : 11 June 2015 09:38:54

rosewoodhill wrote:
Hi Grayhawk.

This is going to be the best build diary evar! ThumpUp

Perhaps you could also include a pic of whats for lunch each day?

I'd REALLY like that because it would fit the theme so much. Unfortunately there's in actuality a ban on taking photographs on company grounds, so snapping away taking pictures in the lunch hall wouldn't end very well. I only get away with the build photos because I have a one person office. Let's hope they don't have any bright ideas about moving staff or open spaces or anything like that in the next two years.
Pilgrim
#14 Posted : 11 June 2015 11:00:33

This build diary is going to become habit forming for its followers too. Maybe we should start taking photos of what we have for lunch while we catch up on your progress…. No, best not!

I have also done this build straight out of the box with the addition of decals but I’m 18 months ahead of you.

Lessons learned. Quick Epoxy doesn’t need 3 minutes mixing but is difficult to make in small quantities. I have tried to be sparing at times to avoid waste and made mixes that won’t go off at all.
It’s always worthwhile reading both the official instructions and Tomicks diary at each stage.
Spend time at stage 39 adjusting the sand pipes to get a close fit to the boiler before attaching the brackets. I’m still getting those damn things popping off.
Get some Isopropyl (or whatever it’s called) Alcohol and try to keep everything clean as you go. I have spent a month wiping and polishing and wiping again and sealing and top coating to get rid of 18 month of crud. You will be amazed at how quickly it tarnishes.

And finally enjoy. It’s a great build.
greyhawk
#15 Posted : 11 June 2015 13:02:24

Thanks Pilgrim. I already have a bottle of isopropyl alcohol standing by to give it a quick wipe now and again.

On to the meat. Or turkey in sweet-sour sauce with rice and some strawberries for dessert.

Phase One: Thursday 11 June 2015 - Mounting the smokebox door

Today sees us installing the door hinges, an operation which 'hinges' upon my ability to somehow deal with the way too fast epoxy and its extremely short setting time while I try to maneuver two very wibbly-wobbly tiny-wimey parts into place on the door and door frame.

It all works out for a while by mixing up a batch of glue per hinge and placing the parts quickly but carefully.

Ten minutes later I manage to pop both hinges out of the door frame while cleaning up some minute excess glue with a toothpick (or fiddlestick as I have begun to call them).

A first inspection shows the glue hasn't taken to the frame side hinge parts at all. So tomorrow will see me giving them another alcohol clean and me sandpapering the grit out of these.
michu
#16 Posted : 11 June 2015 13:10:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi greyhawk,
First of all, I really enjoy your build diary. I'm building this model too and it's a very satisfying build.

You might want to switch to a slower-binding epoxy. I moved from 90s epoxy up to 5 minutes epoxy, and then up again to 30 minutes epoxy - and that last one proved to be perfect. Not too slow, not too quick.

The 90s epoxy forced me to rush so much that I destroyed my first attempt and had to reorder Pack 01 again. Totally not recommended.

Happy modelling :)
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

Happy building :-)

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
greyhawk
#17 Posted : 11 June 2015 13:25:21

michu wrote:
Hi greyhawk,

You might want to switch to a slower-binding epoxy.

Yeah, I'm going to go to the hobby & crafts shop in the area on Saturday to buy a range of different epoxies. I couldn't imagine trying to go through the smoke box install with the one I currently have.
michu
#18 Posted : 11 June 2015 15:16:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

greyhawk wrote:
michu wrote:
Hi greyhawk,

You might want to switch to a slower-binding epoxy.

Yeah, I'm going to go to the hobby & crafts shop in the area on Saturday to buy a range of different epoxies. I couldn't imagine trying to go through the smoke box install with the one I currently have.

Just a tip for gluing in the smoke box rings.
Dry fit and install with screws the ring opposite the one you are gluing in first - this will help in forming the smokebox and prevent it from rolling tighter on one end. Before applying the glue, get something into the smoke box so that it's stretched and doesn't fold onto itself, but make sure it's removable as soon as you apply the glue and put the ring inside. I used a cocktail stick cut to the right length. This will help in keeping this part of procedure clean and the glue on the inside.
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

Happy building :-)

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
greyhawk
#19 Posted : 11 June 2015 15:33:42

greyhawk
#20 Posted : 12 June 2015 12:36:27

Phase 1: Friday, 12 June 2015 - Fixing the door hinges

Went out to the train station for lunch and had a steak and roll.

In D51 news, I cleaned up the door hinges with iso propanol and filed some slight grooving into the very bottom.

The manufacturer of my epoxy contacted me upon request to explain what was going on with the setting time. Apparently 26+ degrees celcius temperature is not the best environment to try and mix up epoxy. Very nice of them: They're sending me another pack of epoxy for free.

As I'm still stuck with the fast acting one, I mixed up two batches this time within the very door frame slots themselves, which was messy but recoverable with some tissues.

The hinges now sit in the frame and for all intents and purposees it looks like this time they will hold just fine. Some cleanup of excess glue will be required later, but
not very much.

No pics this time as nothing has changed from yesterdays last progress pic.

This ends phase 1 on a positive note. All of this went better than expected and I can see the model is going to look awesome.

Innocent bystanders note: Some first quizzical looks from colleagues at the strange weirdly growing metally part lying around my office, but no comments yet.