Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

14 Pages «<89101112>»
Greyhawks Lunch Break D51 (DONE!!!!) Options
dnvrbronco
#181 Posted : 29 February 2016 18:18:25

Red Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

birdaj2 wrote:
Not quite at that stage of my build but this sounds like something i need tovwatch out for. Does this offset get mentioned in the instructions please?

I just finished the build a week ago. Actually it IS mentioned in the instructions....but not until near the end...stage 99. I had read about this problem beforehand...so I made the adjustment while originally installing the boiler.
ON MY BENCH DeAgostini Millenium Falcon, DeAgostini Spitfire, 1:75 Woody JOE Horyuji Five-Storey Pagoda, HMS Victory

COMPLETE DeAgostini D51 Loco
birdaj2
#182 Posted : 29 February 2016 18:23:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

dnvrbronco wrote:
birdaj2 wrote:
Not quite at that stage of my build but this sounds like something i need tovwatch out for. Does this offset get mentioned in the instructions please?

I just finished the build a week ago. Actually it IS mentioned in the instructions....but not until near the end...stage 99. I had read about this problem beforehand...so I made the adjustment while originally installing the boiler bands.

Thanks again for this. Its one i will watch out for.

I have just finished the pack with the tender sides so still a little way off from finishing this one.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
darbyvet
#183 Posted : 29 February 2016 20:20:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I missed this in my build because I built it out of order a bit and spent 5 frustrating hours trying to figure out why the running gear kept binding when I ran the motor. it did nicely shred the first silicon tube connector before I realized what was going on.

Carl

greyhawk
#184 Posted : 04 April 2016 12:30:55

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Cursing I am all set to strangle the person who thought up the sandpipe things Cursing someone point me in the right direction of where I need to get my strangling going. Cursing

Disregard. Fresh tube of CA glue apparently has gone bad before I even ever opened it.
greyhawk
#185 Posted : 04 April 2016 14:13:20

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Back to strangling someone.

The two back pipes just will not fit. I can fit one bracket, then it explodes off again when I try to fit the other side. Yes, the pipes are in the right way around. At this point it looks like the pipes are actually a tiny bit too long at the top which makes them not fit the circumference of the boiler exactly. Am going to try and shave off a bit of the top.
darbyvet
#186 Posted : 04 April 2016 14:50:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

greyhawk wrote:

The two back pipes just will not fit. I can fit one bracket, then it explodes off again when I try to fit the other side. Yes, the pipes are in the right way around. At this point it looks like the pipes are actually a tiny bit too long at the top which makes them not fit the circomeference of the boiler exactly. Am going to try and shave off a bit of the top.

yes I remember these were a bit tricky.I ended up using epoxy on the clips that are used to hold the pipes against the boiler so they didnt pop off when I had to bend the pipes a bit to get them to follow the correct path.I tried superglue and the clips kept popping off when I manipulated the pipe.I think I did remove some of the top of the pipes to make them even too.

Carl

greyhawk
#187 Posted : 04 April 2016 14:55:23

It's definitely the ends of the pipes at the top that are too long. I've sneaked in a short session and filed one down and this one is now sitting as it should.
arpurchase
#188 Posted : 04 April 2016 18:48:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin It may be a good idea to await the arrival of the side walkways as these are notched either side for the three sand pipes. As sometimes they dont line up correctly so entails the removal and refitting of the pipesCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

michu
#189 Posted : 04 April 2016 19:31:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

greyhawk wrote:

So the build is going well, you say?

But seriously, great job. I have like 6 unbuilt months of this loco stacked away so I'm glad I can come here from time to time to muse on some "what-ifs", around having more time and such. In the meantime this is my favourite build of D51.
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

Happy building :-)

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
greyhawk
#190 Posted : 05 April 2016 12:42:35

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin It may be a good idea to await the arrival of the side walkways as these are notched either side for the three sand pipes. As sometimes they dont line up correctly so entails the removal and refitting of the pipesCool

Oh good, did I mention strangling someone?

michu wrote:

So the build is going well, you say?

It's like the usual designer of the kit called in sick and they went and fetched his alternate universe evil twin who followed only one directive: "How can I make this phase of the build as bad as possible"

At this point I'm giving up on the brackets as delivered. One steadfastly refuses to cooperate. Neither CA glue, CA gel, Epoxy or contact glue will hold it in place. One popped off while putting the model back on the gears and missed taking out my eye by about a centimeter. It is now considered lost.

I'm keeping the brackets I have on the model right now and expect them to pop off in the following weeks. After the side walks are delivered I'll do a tally how many are left and build my own brackets to replace the ones delivered. These will have more leeway to accomodate the pipes. Luckily I have some brass sheet lying around from another project.

Otherwise I'm still happy with the kit. Only just about every part of this delivery seems.... weird. It's not just the brackets. Epoxying the sandbox to the boiler? Why? You fix it with a big fat screw, jobs done. Why would you risk messing up your boiler with epoxy, especially when the sandbox isn't even able to sit flush on the construction due to the boiler rings?.... That thing with the pipe you had lying aroung for months and now you should try and fiddle it in even though it's actually too long to fit and why wasn't the whole heater piping delivered in one go right now, everything would have been much easier to fit this way... Those vents at the bottom of the new firebox walls? These are things to be added at the end of the build. Now they just interfere with future construction sticking out like that....

All strange.
darbyvet
#191 Posted : 05 April 2016 19:29:51

Its a temporary hiccup-Fitting the walkways will be "fun" but after that the tender assembles very easily.The base also is easy to assemble.

Carl

tf64
#192 Posted : 05 April 2016 20:09:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Greyhawk,

Sorry to read about your troubled parts, hope you resolve it soon.

Regards

Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

greyhawk
#193 Posted : 13 May 2016 12:00:31

Delivery 11

With this delivery the left running board is installed and the backhead is built.

Even though I do have roys decals, I have eventually decided to leave them off to maintain the look of pure metal.

I have also decided to not deal anymore with the sand pipe brackets. As I predicted, during my 4 weeks of vacation and illness more than half of them decided to go flying off into outer space. The pipes are held in place well enough by the running board, so the brackets are superfluous anyway. I'll just clean up the glue spots with some acetone as soon as they've all gone flying.
davetwin
#194 Posted : 13 May 2016 18:32:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This is looking great Greyhawk, great job. I really like the all metal look
delboy271155
#195 Posted : 13 May 2016 19:43:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

That`s looking very tidy WTG.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

arpurchase
#196 Posted : 13 May 2016 21:45:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very nice work
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

greyhawk
#197 Posted : 14 May 2016 10:02:08

delboy271155 wrote:
That`s looking very tidy WTG.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Mostly. Some parts are starting to oxizide or build up whatever kind of grime. When the right running board is installed in a few weeks I guess it's high time to get out the steel wool, polish this thing to a sheen and give it a protective gloss coat.
greyhawk
#198 Posted : 28 June 2016 12:29:00

Aaaand we've reached the official halfway point in the middle of delivery 13. Did I forget to post 12? Apparently I forgot to post 12. Man, I was way more OCD once. Anyway, the boiler section and all its attachements is done now, next work starts on the drivers cab.

darbyvet
#199 Posted : 28 June 2016 16:02:59

Now thats starting to look like a train!!

I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order, LIKE THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE.

Carl

greyhawk
#200 Posted : 28 June 2016 18:18:24

darbyvet wrote:

I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order, LIKE THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE.

I love it.