Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

14 Pages <1234>»
Greyhawks Lunch Break D51 (DONE!!!!) Options
greyhawk
#21 Posted : 15 June 2015 11:05:59

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Phase 2: Monday, 15 June 2015 - Overview

As I'll be meeting my lawyer during lunch break today, there'll be no work done on the train. Let's have a short overview of Phase 2 instead.

With this phase we'll install the smokebox and another boiler ring. I got some slower acting epoxy over the weekend, so I expect this to go a little bit smoother than last week.

Also over the weekend I got Roys awesome instrument decals, which he somehow got to me in record time even though the post office here is on strike. They'll be looking quite nice, I expect. Photos will be forthcoming. You can get these at http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=posts&t=8195

There's a little bit of weird slightly dark discoloring at one spot of the smoke box, behind of where the smoke stack will sit, which I can't get rid of no matter what I try. It also doesn't really show up in photographs all that well. It's not so big as to warrant exchanging the part though. Maybe it'll add character.

The 2 parts and 8 screws for this phase weigh in at 112 gram, bringing the total to:

12 parts
8 screws
207 g
darbyvet
#22 Posted : 15 June 2015 16:12:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Its really cool you are keeping a parts count and weight.This thing gets pretty heavy pretty quickly and I ended up with a bag full of screws that I hope were extra-Well it hasn't fallen apart yet so I guess they are spares
Carl
greyhawk
#23 Posted : 16 June 2015 14:37:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Phase 2: Tuesday, 16 June 2015 - More delays than a Deutsche Bahn passenger train

No lunch today due to colleagues bringing in surprise breakfast cake

This lunch break began with me neatly laying out all required parts, taking my starting photo and then the door getting ripped open, my boss storming inside and yelling "Oh, hey, Mike, I totally forgot to invite you to this meeting we're having." - "Ok, so when is it?" - "Kinda like right now." - "Oh, good."

So here we are two hours later after being drowned in information on a product we won't buy, so that went well.

In light of this I opted to just do a dry fit of smokebox door, boiler ring and smokebox walls. I'll keep them this way till tomorrow which will hopefully also help with the walls adapting to their new wider shape (they were rolled up quite tight in delivery). Tomorrow will then finally see them glued to the boiler rings.

arpurchase
#24 Posted : 16 June 2015 16:56:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looking goodCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

greyhawk
#25 Posted : 16 June 2015 17:32:59

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Looking goodCool

You were right about the fit, btw. The little gap between smoke box front and boiler ring is covered up completely. BigGrin
Martyn Ingram
#26 Posted : 16 June 2015 18:39:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin I am just loving this build and also the commentary Laugh

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
davetwin
#27 Posted : 16 June 2015 22:11:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks great BigGrin glad to hear that the gap wasnt an issue BigGrin
greyhawk
#28 Posted : 17 June 2015 12:50:33

Phase 2: Wednesday, 17 June 2015 - Installing the boiler ring

Today we finally return to actual food with some traditional German early summer fare - White aspargus spears in a ramson-yoghurt dip, breaded pork cutlet and rosemary potatoes. Yumm.

Dry fitting the smoke box for a whole day had a very positive effect as expected. When I removed the screws of the boiler ring the walls completely kept their form, which made applying the epoxy for the permanent install extremely easy. The new slow setting epoxy flows and looks like honey and I'm glad I work on my build only after eating, because I really shouldn't be working with this stuff when I'm hungry. No, really, it looks delicious.

Installing the boiler ring again and screwing it into place was a snap.

Some things to note however: You want the boiler ring to extend from the smoke box walls by exactly 5mm all around. This will give a nice tight fit between ring and walls and will hopefully help to keep things flush and in line with the rest of the locomotive.

Also while the expoxy sets, the boiler ring part opposite the screws tends to try and "sneak" out of place, so try to clamp it into place and occasionally check with a ruler again if it's still sitting correctly. (Gravity, my eternal nemesis Cursing )

EDIT: Went and put in some "welding spots" with CA glue to stop the "sneaking"

EDIT 2: Just received the tracking number for the display case. Seems like it will be here tomorrow. Now to find a place to put it where I will find it again in 2 years.
greyhawk
#29 Posted : 18 June 2015 12:28:11

Phase 2: Thursday, 18 June 2015 - Installing the smoke box door

So todays lunch should have been delicious, only it wasn't, what with what was expected to be Maccheroni alla bolognese con Parmigiano-Reggiano turning out to be oversoggy noodles, a watery tasteless sauce with scarcely a hint of meat or vegetables and a glob of Gouda string cheese. Let's not do that again.

Something I mentioned to neglect yesterday was that the smokebox looked perfectly spotless from the outside, the inside.... not so much. I managed turn the inside into a complete and utter mess with my sweet sweet honey epoxy. Didn't phase me much until I realized one would be able to look inside the smoke box later.

Luckily this epoxy is extra slow, so I took the smoke box home and spent no small part of the evening cleaning the inside up with acetone, cotton swabs and fiddlesticks as best I could.

She ain't pretty, but I wouldn't push her off the bedside either.

Let's be more careful this time. I decide to forego the epoxy applicator and use my trusty fiddlesticks instead. With the added control the process was much cleaner and soon the smoke box door is sitting nice and tight against the walls. No need for clamps or CA glue spots this time around either. Gravity will do the job just fine resting the assembled piece vertically (not like in the photo below).

This concludes phase 2. Only 98 more to go.

EDIT: Almost forgot. The display case arrived yesterday. Haven't opened the package yet, but this thing is going to be HUGE.
greyhawk
#30 Posted : 21 June 2015 21:32:28

Phase 3: Overview

This week will see the installation of the chimney (2 parts) and feedwater system (5 parts)

Interestingly the main parts of the feedwater system look very much different from the parts delivered so far, they seem to be "banged up" a lot more. Comparing my parts to other build diarys and the instructions they look the same however, so this must be something inherent to the production process and not a flawed delivery. Oh well, it'll add character.

These 7 parts weigh in at 141 g bringing the total to

19 parts, 8 screws and 348 grams.

It's getting heavy fast.
greyhawk
#31 Posted : 22 June 2015 14:13:06

Phase 3 - Builiding the chimney

People reeeeeeeeally need to stop setting up meetings right through my lunch break. Cursing

Anyways after a nice fish skillet of pollock, potatoes, green beans, orange and yellow carrots I'm roaring to build some trains.

And I immediately stop after CA gluing the chimney lip to the chimney itself, because a million questions pop up. For instance:

- How much CA glue should I use for something like this. Apparently CA cures better the thinner it is. On the other hand I hear a lot of people complaining about CA connections breaking extremely easy. Should I use some drops, like a pin head maybe? Or more like raindrops, those big ones coming down after a few too hot days, washing away all the filth and the stink?

- The CA manufacturer recommends letting a glued piece dry for at least an hour. How important is this really? Would I be screwing over myself if I glue the assembled chimney to the smoke box now instead of doing it next lunch break

- Is there any interaction between CA glue and epoxy glue and if so how quick will it kill me? I imagine smearing epoxy on the part right now might interfere with the hardening of the CA glue? I think I saw a small puff of smoke appear when I put a drop of CA into the still gelly epoxy to spot weld my smoke box. Is this something that might have happened or am I thinking too much again?

michu
#32 Posted : 22 June 2015 15:06:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

It's currently one of my favourite build diaries, although it makes me hungry every time...
Not sure about CA interactions with epoxy, but keep it safe around cotton - it can heat a lot in contact.
Also I had a drop land on a piece of tissue and it resulted in some awful acrid smoke that had me coughing for the next 15 minutes. So be careful, this stuff can be vile.
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

Happy building :-)

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
greyhawk
#33 Posted : 22 June 2015 15:35:09

Thank you, that's good to know. I've been wanting to get some cotton gloves, but with that information i guess I'll stay with the latex ones i'm currently using.

What I saw might have been a small piece of cotton going up then, because I was cleaning up excess glue before that happened with some cotton swabs

EDIT: That hour of drying time is long over by now, so I declared second lunch for a minute and epoxied the chimney to the smoke box. I wish the hole was a bit smaller, there's lots of wiggling room. I used my way too fast expoxy and tried to maintain equal distance to to all sides so hopefully this will all be in the correct position for the spark arrester.

arpurchase
#34 Posted : 22 June 2015 18:45:44

BigGrin Looks great but when I did this part I made up the chimney parts then the spark arrester parts which was then fitted into the boiler by screws at the bottom. The spark arrester was then used to keep the funnel in its optimum position to the arrester assembly. Just the way I did it but doing it your way should still be ok too

Regards

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

greyhawk
#35 Posted : 22 June 2015 18:54:57

That would have been prudent, but I don't have the spark arrester parts yet and with the post office strike here in Germany going on for weeks now with no sign of slowing down it's totally unsure when they actually will arrive.

And I'm way way too impatient to wait for that LOL In fact the lunch break approach serves the not so hidden purpose of artificially slowing me down so I don't rush through everything like a maniac. I can build slow and steady and most important mostly clean for once instead. Laugh
davetwin
#36 Posted : 22 June 2015 23:31:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Damn those people for trying to get you into meetings during lunch time Cursing LOL

Lovely work and good call sticking with the latex gloves, I tried cotton ones when handling the rear windscreen on my Lamborghini and the finger prints still came through
greyhawk
#37 Posted : 23 June 2015 00:37:45

davetwin wrote:

Lovely work and good call sticking with the latex gloves, I tried cotton ones when handling the rear windscreen on my Lamborghini and the finger prints still came through

I wish they'd offer the Lambo here. That thing is a beauty. Love
greyhawk
#38 Posted : 23 June 2015 12:47:46

Phase 3: Building the feedwater heater

Todays lunch: white asparagus risotto and radish salad. I'm fueled up on carbs like a Japanese freight train.

As mentioned these three parts look definitely more scuffed than any other parts so far. But apparently this is how is should be as other builders feedwater heater looks the same.

Also pictured, yet another new epoxy i found at the model craft store with 10 minutes of binding time, which will become the new go-to epoxy if it performs well. Apparently this one is made by the store owner or at least relabeled some stuff he grabbed off of alibaba. FAKE EDIT: Didn't use it. I apparently need a knife to get it open. Nothing appropriate around.

I wasn't all that happy with the smoothness of the endcaps so I roughed up the connecting edges with an old nail file. I have a fiber glass pencil coming in when the post office workers get off their lazy bums. I imagine this being an absolute godsend when the time comes to fitting parts like pipes etc.

One thing to note is it's impossible to mount the right end cap perfectly central without doing some major remodeling of the connecting edges. It sits off center by a millimeter or half. This is again something I've seen happening in most other build diarys including the official one, so I didn't touch it up.

In the next step the instructions say to glue the heater to the smokebox with CA. A proposition that seems iffy at best comparing the diameter of the dowels to the holes. What did everyone use for this? Gel CA? Epoxy?
michu
#39 Posted : 23 June 2015 13:35:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

If I remember right, I just used the dowels as guides for positioning and glued this using a bit of gel CA on the seam.
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

Happy building :-)

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
arpurchase
#40 Posted : 23 June 2015 18:15:42

BigGrin Same hereCool