Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

14 Pages <12345>»
Greyhawks Lunch Break D51 (DONE!!!!) Options
greyhawk
#41 Posted : 23 June 2015 18:32:06

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

greyhawk
#42 Posted : 24 June 2015 12:44:31

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Phase 3: Installing the Feedwater heater

I went with everyones suggestion to use the heater seam instead of the dowels for attaching the heater and now it sits steadfast in its place ready to survive a nuclear strike.

Also: Sautéed turkey strips with peas, carrots and corn, whole grain basil pasta

Also also: Recent developments leave me with a lot more time for model building. So I'm gonna build myself a ship. You know, because ships don't lie. (Shakira, Shakira.)

My options here in Germany are:
- HMS Victory (copper plating, color set and cutout deck not available here, come on Model Space Germany!)
- HMS Victory Cross-Section
- Sovereign of the Seas (minus the magazines AND the modeling tips in the magazines, color set not available here, come on Model Space Germany!)
- The San Felipe (yawn...)
- The Yamato and Akagi (not really feeling it)

I'm THINKING of going for the Victory Cross-Section first, to see how I like it, I have no experience at all with this. Then going for the Sovereign, because it looks cooler. On the other hand Victorys instructions seem to be better suited towards the absolute beginner especially with half of Sovereigns modeling advice missing here with the magazine unavailable.

I'd be happy to hear your opinion.
michu
#43 Posted : 24 June 2015 12:59:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I'd probably go with Victory, what I heard is it is accompanied by great instructions that will guide you step by step. I'm building Sovereign of the Seas, but the part of appeal here in UK is the wonderful accompanying magazine full of tips and very detailed instructions. So I guess if this will be your first, then Victory might be the one to go - my SOTS is also the first ship I'm building and the magazines are a great help indeed.
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

Happy building :-)

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
davetwin
#44 Posted : 24 June 2015 13:17:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Victory seems to be a good choice for beginners BigGrin

With regards to the parts not available in Germany you could always see if someone on here would be willing to have them delivered to their UK address and then post them onto you in Germany. If you price up delivery I would be happy to help you out in that respect
jase
#45 Posted : 24 June 2015 13:36:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The victory cross section is probably the best cross section on the market in terms of accuracy and detail. The build is not complex so definatly a good way to dip your toe in.

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
greyhawk
#46 Posted : 24 June 2015 13:38:50

davetwin wrote:
Victory seems to be a good choice for beginners BigGrin

With regards to the parts not available in Germany you could always see if someone on here would be willing to have them delivered to their UK address and then post them onto you in Germany. If you price up delivery I would be happy to help you out in that respect

Thank you Dave and Michu. Victory it is then.

I think Modelspace UK might be willing to send the parts directly again as they did with the D51 display case, but I'll keep the offer in mind. I DID find a local supplier for the Caldercraft colour set, so that's dealt with already.

That'll all have to wait until the German post office/DHL starts working again, whenever that will be. Cursing

Ordering the Cross Section now.

EDIT: And thank you, Jase
greyhawk
#47 Posted : 25 June 2015 12:37:35

Phase 3: Installing the feedwater piping

Not much to write about today. Had some thoroughly too tough sirloin steak with hash browns and bell pepper sauce.

A pipe joint and feedwater pipe were both installed with a drop of gel CA.

This concludes Phase 3.
greyhawk
#48 Posted : 29 June 2015 13:36:55

Phase 4: First driving wheel set and coupling rods

Baked turkey steak, parsley root sauce, sugar snap peas, rice

In this phase we receive the first premounted driving wheel set, two coupling rods and the corresponding bushings and rod pins.

The delivery weighs in at a whopping 170 grams.

A note on part counts: I've had a look at future deliveries and have decided to extend the category "screws" to include all kinds of "fasteners": rivets, bushings, pins, washers, screws, nuts etc. This also means the 4 brass rods we used in phase 1 are reclassified as fasteners.

I'm also counting the premounted driving wheels set as one part, even though it's pre-built up out of 5, because it's not us doing the actual work.

This brings the new totals to 18 parts, 16 fasteners and 518 grams after phase 4

Most of the rest of the week will be spent with deburring and prettyfying the coupling rods, so no updates really needed.

The pictures below show the work in progress with the lower rod having been deburred and partly sanded. Some work is still needed to make these really smooth and shiny. Then the same for the other one.

greyhawk
#49 Posted : 30 June 2015 13:01:07

Phase 4: Installing the coupling rods

I skipped lunch due to an extended breakfast sponsored by yet another colleagues birthday.

This gave me enough time to get done with the deburring and sanding. The coupling rods were then screwed to their places on the driving wheel set. This was a quick and easy week.

And now the waiting game begins because I'm out of parts.

End of Phase 4.
davetwin
#50 Posted : 30 June 2015 16:15:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Your build is looking very neat, ccant wait to see it more built up Cool
michu
#51 Posted : 30 June 2015 16:27:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This is one of the most satisfying builds currently offered and I think you are making a very good job out of it - looking forward to the next month's update :)
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

Happy building :-)

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
arpurchase
#52 Posted : 30 June 2015 18:24:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looking greatCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

greyhawk
#53 Posted : 08 July 2015 13:00:17

Phase 5 - Spark Arrester and Blast Pipe

Meat loaf with gravy, mashed potatoes and leek

Yesterday the post office finally decided that maybe they should get back to work after all. The second thing I received was new parts for the D51. The first thing I received was 120 issues of unbuilt HMS Victory I got off ebay for half the price of the subscription. Don't expect a diary too soon. This one's going into storage for the time being, there's a lot of stuff I need before I start working on that one.

In phase 5 of the D51 build we receive 5 parts for the spark arrester, as well as the blast pipe.

This is by far the lightest delivery yet at only 35 grams.

The totals are now up to 24 parts, 20 fasteners (+3 extra) and 553 grams weight.

I really really hated the look of the silver solder on the presoldered meshes, so I went ahead and repainted all the silver parts with Revell Aquacolor Brass Metallic, which makes it all look several amounts of better.

A thin strip of paint was then removed again with a metal file to ensure a proper contact area for the CA glue.

The arrester was glued together with no major occurences. The meshes needed a bit of manual forming to ensure their proper shape and contact with the brass rings. Also I should probably wear latex gloves again because I almost glued myself to the assembly.

This is straight in real life, the camera in my phone is doing weird things for close objects.
arpurchase
#54 Posted : 08 July 2015 21:28:47

BigGrin Looking goodCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

davetwin
#55 Posted : 08 July 2015 22:16:15

Nice work ThumpUp loving your choice of lucnch too Cool
greyhawk
#56 Posted : 10 July 2015 13:13:44

stevie_o wrote:

Be careful with finger prints on the bare metal though, especially if you are eating fried chickenLOL

Steve

Tested this today, my freight train is now covered in a protective coating of chicken juices.

Phase 5 - Installing the spark arrester and blast pipe.

The spark arrester assembly was cemented to the lower part of the chimney and the blast pipe screwed to the smokebox. Then I tried to straighen out some minor misalignment and accidentally ripped apart the assembly. That was fun, let's not do that again.

After repairs:

With this, the assembly of JNR D51 200 is now 5 % done.
arpurchase
#57 Posted : 10 July 2015 19:50:50

BigGrin Looks the bizz and when the back plate is added will look even betterCool

greyhawk
#58 Posted : 13 July 2015 13:12:10

Phase 6 - The Front Deck

Rice and Chicken Skillet. More like rice and "we hid some tiny particles of chicken in there, maybe like half your thumb altogether" skillet. It's a buzzkiller when your company kitchen still believes in high carb/low everything else in tyool 2015.

With Phase 6 we get the first four parts of the front deck, namely .... wait. Wait what? Is that....? Did someone SNEEZE on the deck plates? Really?

So yeah, someone sneezed on my deck plates and it wasn't me. Luckily copper-alloys are antimicrobial and we should be good here. Nevertheless I gave the plates an extra good rub down with iso-propanol.

Weighing in at 45 grams this package brings the totals to
28 pieces, 20 fasteners and 598 grams.

Now the first step is to simply glue the two deck plates together and when I say simply I mean "This looked a lot simpler in theory".

What went wrong? For one the two deck plates are not exactly identical so if you're not careful like I wasn't you end up with parts of one deckplate not covering the other one and you putting your mitts into a nice big dollop of honey epoxy while you're frantically trying to fit the screws.

Because the screws - see, the screws don't fit. Not when both parts are flush against each other. The parts need to be like a half millimeter away from each other and only then will the screws actually screw in. I haven't had this much trouble fitting a thing into another thing since... well, let's not talk about that.

Anyways, my trusty isoprop cleaned that all up nice and quick and it was time to clamp the pieces together. Lemmme just grab those additional clamps I totally forgot at home this morning.....Doh!

So I went a bit ghetto office on this to substitute anything for proper clamps.

On the other hand I finally found a use for all these old business cards.

greyhawk
#59 Posted : 14 July 2015 12:46:46

Phase 6 - Front Deck Edge Plates

Big plate of salad and grilled chicken breast

Edge plates were cemented to the front deck. Nothing interesting happened. I'm sorry.

That's phase 6 done.

With these building phases turning out to require less time than expected, I will also be moving over the build of my 1955 Mercedes 300SL Gullwing Coupe into the office (see link in signature).

Here's a teaser:
Martyn Ingram
#60 Posted : 14 July 2015 12:53:53

BigGrin looking forward to seeing this coming together 👍

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe