Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

14 Pages «<23456>»
Greyhawks Lunch Break D51 (DONE!!!!) Options
greyhawk
#61 Posted : 20 July 2015 13:19:05

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Phase 7 - Maintenance hatch

Rump steak, hash browns and gravy - a man's lunch

With phase 7 we get the maintenance hatch, lamp hooks, hatch front cover and upper plate. These 5 parts weigh in at 20 grams, bringing the totals to 33 parts, 20 fasteners and 618 grams.

Be careful when handling the maintenance hatch. It easily bends which happened to me while degreasing it and I had to spend some time getting it back into form.

Also: I hate the word "maintenance". It always looks wrong.
davetwin
#62 Posted : 20 July 2015 14:03:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Some really nice clean work with the brass, looking good ThumpUp
arpurchase
#63 Posted : 20 July 2015 20:02:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Very nice workCool. Hoping some more builds start on this great model soon.Drool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

greyhawk
#64 Posted : 20 July 2015 20:25:13

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Very nice workCool. Hoping some more builds start on this great model soon.Drool

I know of at least one who is soon starting this build and it seems he's willing to write a diary too.

In other modeling news I've begun work on the Victory. Here's a bonus tiny gun.

greyhawk
#65 Posted : 22 July 2015 12:39:28

Stage 7 - Learning Humidility

Grilled Chicken Sandwich and Steakhouse Fries

So I learned a new lesson:

If it is as hot and humid as it is these last few days, then instant glue will cure instantly indeed. And I don't mean "You have 1 or 2 seconds to correct the position of this part" instantly, I mean "Oh, hey, see how you pressed this part against another one 10 milliseconds ago and it's like half a millimeter higher on the left than on the right? See that? Tough to be you, I guess." So, yeah, take extra care to place parts correctly on the first try in this weather. Also, Acetone is a godsend, again.

And this concludes stage 7.
stevieshrek
#66 Posted : 22 July 2015 13:15:26

Hi there, just thought i would say what a great and quirky build log makes a change from the normal straight forward diaries (allthough very helpful nonetheless) i have just ordered the d51 so am eagerley waiting first shipment and will be following along with your log. I am a newbie to this kind of build myself so spend hours reading/watching other logs for help and advice.. I think you will be only a stage or two ahead of me so your log will be invaluable . Keep up the good work especially the lunch menu it gives me a good chuckle each time i log on.
Best Regards Steve
greyhawk
#67 Posted : 22 July 2015 13:30:48

Thank you Steve. That's one of the reasons why I'm so focused on writing about my beginners mistakes: so that other new builders may be aware of them, maybe even be able to avoid them.

Are you going to write a build log yourself? I do hope so.
Martyn Ingram
#68 Posted : 22 July 2015 14:17:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Great work starting to take shape now and I love the lunch menu Love

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
greyhawk
#69 Posted : 22 July 2015 14:33:35

Martyn Ingram wrote:
starting to take shape now

One thing I noticed is however that the front deck isn't done quite right, or rather it belongs to a different train.

Here's D51 200s front deck

Here's ours, supposedly D51 200

Notice the missing hinge in the middle of the maintenance hatch and how the locking mechanism looks totally different?

Here's D51 793

Now this one looks exactly like ours with the 2 hinges and locking clasp.

I wonder why they did that?
greyhawk
#70 Posted : 29 July 2015 12:36:05

Phase 8: Release lever, front beam and guard irons

Sauteed chicken breast, whole grain pasta, green peas and sugar snaps

This pack finally adds a bit of weight again to the model weighing in at 60 grams

Our totals are now 41 parts, 24 fasteners (with 4 extra) and 678 grams

Not much to write about the installation. Everything went pretty much perfectly, though I did lose one screw.

This is the last pack until the next delivery. It is also the last pack where I have access to an english version of the instructions, so from now on part translations might get a bit wonky.
Pilgrim
#71 Posted : 30 July 2015 13:49:11

If you need the official instructions in English then send me a PM and I will happily email them to you.
greyhawk
#72 Posted : 30 July 2015 14:33:50

Thanks for the offer, Pilgrim.

I think I'll be fine with pilfering the official part names from the offical build diary though. Wouldn't want to get you and me into possible trouble, copyright laws being what they are and all.
darbyvet
#73 Posted : 30 July 2015 16:49:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

greyhawk wrote:
Thanks for the offer, Pilgrim.

I think I'll be fine with pilfering the official part names from the offical build diary though. Wouldn't want to get you and me into possible trouble, copyright laws being what they are and all.

Just be aware that you need to move one of the boiler band screws when you attach the body to the running gear later on.The reason for this is if you don't move the screw it will interfere with the motor. I spent 4 hours figuring this out and then re-read the instructions and it did tell me to do that, but it was not mentioned in the official build.

Carl
greyhawk
#74 Posted : 30 July 2015 17:16:45

darbyvet wrote:

Just be aware that you need to move one of the boiler band screws when you attach the body to the running gear later on.The reason for this is if you don't move the screw it will interfere with the motor. I spent 4 hours figuring this out and then re-read the instructions and it did tell me to do that, but it was not mentioned in the official build.

Carl

I DO receive the German instructions, my bad if this sounded as if I wouldn't get any instructions at all. I was more concerned about translating part designations from German to English for the build diary. But it looks as if the official diary is rather consistent with listing pack components, so we should be good there.

What I do is I usually read the instructions, the official diary and some of the larger member diaries for information on how to proceed and things to look out for on the next stage a few days before I actually start building. This has certainly helped a lot already.
greyhawk
#75 Posted : 13 August 2015 13:10:49

Aaand we're back after a short hiatus due to delivery issues.

Phase 9 - Completing the front deck

A bowl of meat and veggies - no literally a bowl full of all the animals you can think of and most of the veggies as well, it was surprisingly tasty

With this phase we receive the last parts to complete the front deck. Inspection hatches, steps and an air hose, most of which are just fixed by ca gluing them to the existing deck assembly.

Despite how massive they look the side steps do indeed bend, which is a godsend, because when mine arrived they flared out to the sides by about 2-3 degrees, which made the whole front desk look like an unhappy baby bird trying to flap his wings. With a small application of force they were bent right into being at right angle.
Also be careful to not accidentally pry lose other parts when screwing the side steps to the front beam.

Parts counter: 50 parts, 26 fasteners (also turns out my scale was a random number generator in a former career, so we can't trust the whole weight thing anymore)

Next week, the train finally receives hips.
arpurchase
#76 Posted : 13 August 2015 21:03:24

BigGrin Looking greatCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

greyhawk
#77 Posted : 13 August 2015 22:07:54

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Looking greatCool

It does though, doesn't it.

I'm so happy I found this one. I don't think I would've started doing partworks without stumbling on this flashy guy and now partworks take up most of my free time. It's extremely rewarding to have parts with this materiality - for lack of a better word - like metal and wood. It's just a whole other thing than plastic.
greyhawk
#78 Posted : 17 August 2015 12:43:43

Phase 10 - engine underframe

XXXL Schnitzel with fries and mushroom gravy - need to make more healthy choices

This is the shortest building phase yet. We just screw two underframes to a support brace aaaand that's it. Not much to say about this other than try to make sure both ends of the frame are perfectly 3cm from each other for maximum parallelivitiousness.

Total parts count: 53 parts, 30 fasteners

Oh and

A look at everything done so far.
arpurchase
#79 Posted : 17 August 2015 20:03:36

BigGrin Looking good and you will soon have the joy of lots and lots of tiny rivetsDrool Drool Drool Drool to attach to those framesLove LOL LOL Love Love Drool Cool

greyhawk
#80 Posted : 17 August 2015 20:52:41

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Looking good and you will soon have the joy of lots and lots of tiny rivetsDrool Drool Drool Drool to attach to those framesLove LOL LOL Love Love Drool Cool

Yes, tomorrow already. Love I'm actually looking forward to that, but then I'm kinda strange anyway.