Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

14 Pages «<34567>»
Greyhawks Lunch Break D51 (DONE!!!!) Options
arpurchase
#81 Posted : 17 August 2015 21:10:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Lol I forgot to answer your question about the engine front pictures I think they were built by two different train fabrication yards and one yard just thought that two hinges instead of the three would be ok. Perhaps a cash saving too if several engines were made there.Cool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

greyhawk
#82 Posted : 17 August 2015 21:16:36

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Lol I forgot to answer your question about the engine front pictures I think they were built by two different train fabrication yards and one yard just thought that two hinges instead of the three would be ok. Perhaps a cash saving too if several engines were made there.Cool

Oh wow, that's interesting. I probably should go and find some source material on the D51 anyway. I'm neglecting that badly.
davetwin
#83 Posted : 17 August 2015 22:59:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking sweet Greyhawk, I am seriously thinking of adding this to my list Cool
greyhawk
#84 Posted : 17 August 2015 23:12:01

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

davetwin wrote:
Looking sweet Greyhawk, I am seriously thinking of adding this to my list Cool

You should definitely do so.

The quality of this kit is like nothing I've ever seen. Everything is clean and shiny and fits absolutely perfectly.

Also the feeling of building a full metal kit is.... i don't know... every part has weight and robustness to it. It's just THERE. BAM. In your face. There's no flimsyness or lightness to it. It's gonna charge along like a steam train running. Oh wait.
Gandale
#85 Posted : 18 August 2015 00:26:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

She's certainly coming along, looking great.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
greyhawk
#86 Posted : 18 August 2015 12:39:46

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Looking good and you will soon have the joy of lots and lots of tiny rivetsDrool Drool Drool Drool to attach to those framesLove LOL LOL Love Love Drool Cool

Oh my, god, they are so so so so so fiddly. Blink Scared

I absolutely love it. Drool
arpurchase
#87 Posted : 18 August 2015 16:52:30

LOL Drool Relish the rivetLaugh LOL Love Drool Blink Cool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

greyhawk
#88 Posted : 20 August 2015 13:59:35

Stage 11: Riveting rivets

A plate of salad and grilled chicken - the healthy choice

With stage 11 we receive the parts for the front frame which will be mounted under the front deck.

This involves putting 16 extremely tiny black rivets into extremely tiny holes on the black frame component. Which is very very fiddly.

The best way I found to do this is to dispense with tweezers altogether, you won't be able to see where you're aiming what with the whole "put the black thing into the black thing" going on.

Instead drop the rivet next to your intended hole and then veeeery carefully and slowly nudge the rivet into position with a toothpick. This works really well after a bit of practice.

After fitting one side with rivets apply adhesive tape over the frame, turn around and cement the rivets into place with CA glue. Repeat for the other side. Get the adhesive tape into the right position on the first try, you won't be able to correct the position anymore as you'll pull out all the rivets you placed and will melt down into an angry cave troll. Or so I hear.

The longer rivets are best placed into the smoke box support only at first. Then mask with adhesive tape, which will allow you to easily place all rivets into the frame in one go.

The support brackets themselves seem rather loose in my build, not sure if this is correct. We'll see.

Total parts count: 58 parts, 56 fasteners

Unrecoverably lost parts count: 1 extremely tiny black extra rivet.
davetwin
#89 Posted : 20 August 2015 14:44:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice work Greyhawk's BigGrin Drool

With tiny PE parts I use a small bit of blue tac on the end of a pin, and the just use that to pick up and place. It's a method that might come in handy for areas where you haven't got enough space to use tape Cool
greyhawk
#90 Posted : 20 August 2015 15:15:56

davetwin wrote:
Nice work Greyhawk's BigGrin Drool

With tiny PE parts I use a small bit of blue tac on the end of a pin, and the just use that to pick up and place. It's a method that might come in handy for areas where you haven't got enough space to use tape Cool

That's a great tip. I'll sure it'll come in handy, as i have the added "bonus" of not really being able to see in 3 dimensions.
Telfs
#91 Posted : 20 August 2015 15:56:09

greyhawk
#92 Posted : 20 August 2015 16:50:43

darbyvet
#93 Posted : 20 August 2015 19:21:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The picknplace tool is VERY helpful for putting those rivets in.There are more rivets to come in the next issue.

There are some good youtube videos of the D51 for reference.I did look at some pictures to and there are differences between the different d51 locomotives that were built. Some of the pics I saw did show slightly different configuration of the front of the train.

Carl

greyhawk
#94 Posted : 20 August 2015 19:28:44

arpurchase
#95 Posted : 20 August 2015 19:50:35

BigGrin Nicely done and looking good the Picknplace are very handy tools too . Great find on the book now all you need is a learn Japanese cdLOL Drool Laugh Cool Cool

greyhawk
#96 Posted : 20 August 2015 20:32:31

arpurchase wrote:
Great find on the book now all you need is a learn Japanese cdLOL Drool Laugh Cool Cool

Hai. So desu yo. LOL
Gandale
#97 Posted : 21 August 2015 00:27:22

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Certainly showed extreme patience for those rivets which is an asset all modellers would love to have..... Very well done, looking great....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
greyhawk
#98 Posted : 21 August 2015 19:08:29

Due to the extension of the contest deadline, this diary is now entered into the Build of the Year 2015 contest. Vote for me and get a free hug.
darbyvet
#99 Posted : 21 August 2015 22:51:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

greyhawk wrote:
Due to the extension of the contest deadline, this diary is now entered into the Build of the Year 2015 contest. Vote for me and get a free hug.

OK now I cant give you any more tips since you are a competitorFlapper Flapper Flapper

Just joking.I love reading your build.

Carl
greyhawk
#100 Posted : 22 August 2015 00:20:28

darbyvet wrote:
greyhawk wrote:

OK now I cant give you any more tips since you are a competitorFlapper Flapper Flapper

I would shake my fists in fake anger, but I can't really as I just spent 3 hours drilling and filing the gun barrel of Hachettes Tiger Tank so it FINALLY fits together right and my arms hurt like a [word i can't use on these forums].

darbyvet wrote:
Just joking.I love reading your build.

As I do yours. Regarding your block, I'd try building something totally unrelated for a while, like bashing together a 5 dollar tank just for fun and giggles. That usually gets me out of a slump.