Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages 123>»
Dave's Santisima Trinidad Build - First Wooden Ship Build Options
davetwin
#1 Posted : 12 June 2015 21:19:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Please dont get too excited just yet, I though I would just kick of my build diary with some pictures of what I have received so far.

Today I received pack 13 of 33 and decided I would spend the day sorting through all the parts and organising them. Hopefully the pictures will give others who haven't built these plank on frame ships how much wood is actually involved, LOTS Blink

The quality of the wood supplied looks and feels really good and so do all the cast parts too Drool

Planks and strips all sorted into sizes, I realised that some of the same size are a different colour so will need to be careful I check the instructions carefully when I start

Massive pile of planking strips, these are 2 x 5 x 250mm

These ones confused me as the in the instructions (61, 62, 63 & 64) it says they are 2 x 5 x 250mm however they are actually 1 x 5 x 250mm.

Perhaps someone who has built to this stage can advise Confused Confused

Lots and lots of little bits all sorted, there are a massive pile of pins supplied Blink I wouldnt want to drop them on the floor LOL

More wood

This shows some pictures of the cross section parts, I havent sorted these

stevie_o
#2 Posted : 12 June 2015 21:53:53

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

davetwin
#3 Posted : 12 June 2015 23:31:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

stevie_o wrote:
Well I did get excited DaveBigGrin, thought you were about to startLaugh be good to see another Trinny on here, looking forward to it anyway!

Steve

Sorry to dissappoint Steve, I think I am getting close to starting to be honest as of late I have been reading a lot of plank on frame builds and even the Trinny manual a lot BigGrin

I think I have solved my dilema I mentioned above. In stages 61, 62, 63 & 64 'Your parts' section lists 2 x 5 x 250 strips but the actual strips in the pack are 1 x 5 x 250. After studying the instructions it would appear that in stage 62 Step D it says to glue a 2 x 5 strip below the first gun port, the same strips are then used going up the hull in the rest of the stages. Looking closely it seems the strip that are being used are in fact the 1 x 5 that were supplied in those stages.
davetwin
#4 Posted : 12 June 2015 23:31:50

Double Post
arpurchase
#5 Posted : 12 June 2015 23:32:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Dave

Nice to see another build on the go.

The hull is double planked using the planks you have now as the first layer then the bow and stern infills are added and the second half mm planking added this will make a very strong hull so I would not worry too much about the initial planking.
The rule of thumb here is to get the lay of the planks flat and butted up to each other with a minimum of gaps this is done by tapering the top edge to fit the upper plank and dont forget also that some longitudinal tapering will also be needed in places.

good luck with her

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

davetwin
#6 Posted : 12 June 2015 23:37:30

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi Dave

Nice to see another build on the go.

The hull is double planked using the planks you have now as the first layer then the bow and stern infills are added and the second half mm planking added this will make a very strong hull so I would not worry too much about the initial planking.
The rule of thumb here is to get the lay of the planks flat and butted up to each other with a minimum of gaps this is done by tapering the top edge to fit the upper plank and dont forget also that some longitudinal tapering will also be needed in places.

good luck with her

AndyCool

Thanks Andy

I think I am now starting to understand the planking stage, guess I will see when I actually start putting it into practive BigGrin

It was just the mis quoted parts in the stages 61, 62, 63, & 64 that were confusing me when I was sorting the parts out.
davetwin
#7 Posted : 14 June 2015 23:34:00

I picked up some wall mounted stoarge drawers from Aldi yesterday so decided to tidy up my work area and mount them.

All nice and tidy

A temp spray booth

Another work area

OK OK, enough with the teasing;

It Begins

NB: This is my very first Plank on frame build so if you see anything that doesnt look right please let me know BigGrin

After work area sorted I got the Trinny out the box BigGrin Progress so far, I decided to just move on with the ribs for now rather than following the instructions to the letter as this seems to be a popular thing to do.

Adice needed I dry fitted the deck to help with the alignment of the ribs, if you look closely at the picture you can see that the deck doesnt quite meet with rib 2. All the other ribs are pushed home fully and the deck meets all the other ribs just fine, does any think it will pose a problem?

arpurchase
#8 Posted : 15 June 2015 00:13:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Dave nice start the deck your using I think fits on the next deck down but it should lay flat on the formersCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

davetwin
#9 Posted : 15 June 2015 00:58:42

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi Dave nice start the deck your using I think fits on the next deck down but it should lay flat on the formersCool

Thanks Andy, Ive double checked and it is the right deck for the position however after stufying my pictures I think the 1st rib might not be pushed hime all the way which has raised the front if the deck slightly, I will double check tomorrow

What size board would you recommend to use to build on?
Gandale
#10 Posted : 15 June 2015 01:02:33

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Dave, great to see you take on the challenge of a plank on frame build. Don't think you will regret this one as she is a beautiful ship and you'll learn lots to techniques in the process... Good luck with the build, will be following your progress all the way....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
stevie_o
#11 Posted : 15 June 2015 01:31:34

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Martyn Ingram
#12 Posted : 15 June 2015 08:12:37

BigGrin Hi Dave lovely start will be following ThumpUp

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
davetwin
#13 Posted : 15 June 2015 08:18:58

Thanks Alan, Steve and Martyn

I will get the rest of the ribs fitted first so I can make sure everything is straight and the lower decks sit flat then I will redo rib 1 BigGrin

Just wondering what size board is needed that will fit this
arpurchase
#14 Posted : 15 June 2015 09:03:55

BigGrin Hi Dave

I use a solid pine plank 42 mm thick and around 1 metre long I have a longer one of the same thickness for models like the Akagi or Yamato.
I got my boards from a saw mill as off cuts at around a £5 each. Hope this helps.

Regards

AndyCool

davetwin
#15 Posted : 15 June 2015 22:58:17

Thanks Andy,

I have had to bodge a jig for now as I was on a training course today that over ran.

I made some more progress by adding to more ribs, I quite enjoying it so far BigGrin

While I waited for the glue to grab and start drying I set about trying to work out a way of making it easier to cut the planks I needed for the first deck, I ended up making this jog

Next I bodged a dry dock until I get the chance to get something more substantial

Decks dry fitted to test fit

Here is where I need help, As per my previous post I not sure if rib one is seated correctly or if it is Confused Confused. If you could have a look at the following photos and see if it looks correct or not.

Base reading of my dry dock

This hidden deck looks straight and level (dry fitted)

This deck also looks straight and level, so far so good (dry fitted)

This is where it goes slightly wrong, the deck is level on one plane but is also higher at the front. So my question is

Is this the correct angle for this deck, forcastle deck I believe, main middle deck is level so effectively mine is gently sloping down from the front to a level mid deck.

I have studied other builds and it also looks like there is a slope, official build included but it could just be the photo angle. I am acutally starting to think it is correct. It would really help if someone else could put a spirit level on their forcastle deck in the same place to check the angle as its really doing my nut in Confused

If not and it should be straight and level then the only thing it can be is rib 1 that is causing the problem in which case I believe hot water is the answer?

I just want to make sure before I start taking it apart again

Thanks for looking Cool
arpurchase
#16 Posted : 15 June 2015 23:59:54

BigGrin Hi Dave

I agree it looks like rib one is too high as the deck is flat on my build in this area another way to test this is if ribs 2,3 and 4 are the same height by laying a rule or straight edge along them then rib one is too high. Hope this helps.

Regards

AndyCool

Gandale
#17 Posted : 16 June 2015 00:12:38

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looks like you are off to a great start Dave, nicely done....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
davetwin
#18 Posted : 16 June 2015 00:12:58

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi Dave

I agree it looks like rib one is too high as the deck is flat on my build in this area another way to test this is if ribs 2,3 and 4 are the same height by laying a rule or straight edge along them then rib one is too high. Hope this helps.

Regards

AndyCool

Hi Andy

I have just put a metal ruler across ribs 2,3 and 4 as you suggested and they are indeed level, in fact they are level all the way back to rib 7, rib 1 is then about 1.5 to 2mm higher Blink

Its odd I messed up the first one but have got the rest all so level after that Blushing Guess its the hot water tomorrow to sort it out!

Thanks for checking, really appreciate it, it means that I wont be thinking about it when trying to get to sleep now BigGrin
davetwin
#19 Posted : 16 June 2015 00:13:12

Sorry, damn phone double posted. MOD please delete
davetwin
#20 Posted : 16 June 2015 00:19:16

Gandale wrote:
Looks like you are off to a great start Dave, nicely done....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan

I was originally going to wait until I had more packs stashed but then I realised that as I haven't built one of these before I better crack on and see if its for me before I too far into the subscription.

Barring the issue with rib 1 I am really enjoying it so far BigGrin