Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages «<891011>
Dave's Santisima Trinidad Build - First Wooden Ship Build Options
arpurchase
#181 Posted : 29 August 2015 22:08:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Looking good Dave, getting your technique right on the first layer will pay dividends when that second layer goes onCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

davetwin
#182 Posted : 31 August 2015 23:05:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks for the comments Mick & Andy.

I must admit have been enjoying the planking a lot more than I thought I would BigGrin

Its been a busy, stressful and tiring week for me at work so just been plodding as and when I can. The good news is today was my last 12 hour day shift since last Monday with just Saturday off, however after numerous issues we have finished the job and handed back the railway ready to run trains 9 hours early Woot Woot Woot

Back to the build, whilst plodding along I have closed up one side of the hull and made steady progress on the other side. The reason I finished one side first rather than working symmetrically is because my planking started to go a little bit off from the instructions so I had to improvise a little, seems to have worked though BigGrin The side I am currently working on seems to be following the instructions perfectly so far BigGrin

A couple of places look a little rough but I am confident that it will sand down nicely, hopefully LOL

Also a ladder added into the depths of the hull as well as cannon balls.

stevie_o
#183 Posted : 01 September 2015 00:01:03

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Gandale
#184 Posted : 01 September 2015 00:57:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Certainly coming along very nicely Dave, doesn't she look different with those frames covered up.... Cool Cool .. Really enjoying following your progress on this one so keep up the good work and keep the pics flowing.....Cool Cool Cool ..

Regards

Alan
scraperjawa
#185 Posted : 01 September 2015 08:31:12

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good, Dave. That deck work is first rate. These ship builds look like a lot of fun. I may have to try one someday.
Current Builds: HMS Sovereign of the Seas /// Lamborghini Countach /// Eaglemoss BTTF DeLorean

Finished Builds: Millennium Falcon

Martyn Ingram
#186 Posted : 01 September 2015 09:05:22

BigGrin Nice work on the planking Dave looking forward to seeing more Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
arpurchase
#187 Posted : 01 September 2015 19:59:05

BigGrin Nicely done keep up the good workCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

davetwin
#188 Posted : 01 September 2015 22:45:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thank you all for the comments and support, I was hoping to get some more done today but I have been out all day having an amazing experience at Dismaland, well worth a visit for anyone that can get there! Cool
kpnuts
#189 Posted : 02 September 2015 09:07:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Wow looking very impressive, be a while before I consider something as complex as this.
Ken's the name modeling's the game.
davetwin
#190 Posted : 02 September 2015 14:52:12

kpnuts wrote:
Wow looking very impressive, be a while before I consider something as complex as this.

Thanks for the comments Ken

Believe me I was of the same opinion as yourself until I started her. After I did start I realised that if I followed the instructions and asked here ifmImgot stuck it wasn't nearly half as difficult as I first thought it would be.

I have seen what you are knocking out Ken and in my opinion I think you more than have the required skills to attempt one of these wooden ship builds! Cool
davetwin
#191 Posted : 04 September 2015 22:37:46

Both sides of the hull now planked and a start made on filling in the gaps left, you can see in the first picture that one side the gaps are half filled. BigGrin

arpurchase
#192 Posted : 04 September 2015 23:52:38

BigGrin Looking good, soon you will be sanding away Drool LOL Cool

Martyn Ingram
#193 Posted : 05 September 2015 08:31:30

BigGrin Coming along a treat Dave looking good Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Gandale
#194 Posted : 05 September 2015 09:27:38

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking good Dave, as you can see she's going to be a big girl....Cool Cool .. Just about time to give that sanding arm a good workout.....BigGrin BigGrin ..

Regards

Alan
davetwin
#195 Posted : 13 September 2015 22:46:39

Thanks Andy, Martyn and Alan for the comments.

I have now finished filling all the gaps, I must say that so far the gap filling has been my least favourite job.

I will use my mouse sander to give an initial quick sand before I go and get some P38 filler to add, the mouse will then be used again and then finish off by hand BigGrin

magpie1832
#196 Posted : 14 September 2015 09:14:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great job Dave, but thinking mouse might be a good idea for the first sanding plus a rough half round file lightly going over to shape it.
Then filler and hand sand.
I love the planking stages as they quiet therapeutic lol.BigGrin
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Martyn Ingram
#197 Posted : 14 September 2015 09:21:10

BigGrin Lovely job on the planking don't go to mad with the mouse sander Dave Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
davetwin
#198 Posted : 14 September 2015 11:30:26

Thanks Chris and Martyn

I am planning to be gentle with the mouse, the idea was to use it to give my arm some relief BigGrin
greyhawk
#199 Posted : 14 September 2015 13:32:58

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

arpurchase
#200 Posted : 15 September 2015 22:49:53

BigGrin BigGrin Looks good, dont forget you wont need a perfectly smooth finish as you will want a little roughness so the second layer of planks stick down properlyCool