Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages «<56789>»
Dave's Santisima Trinidad Build - First Wooden Ship Build Options
mogwai
#121 Posted : 19 July 2015 12:18:19

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi racing ahead now eh.looking great.keep up the good work cheers mick.BigGrin BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
davetwin
#122 Posted : 19 July 2015 22:45:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thank you Nightwisher and Mogwai for the comments

I finished attaching the gunwhales and decided to do what Andy did by planking the inside with some of the hard wood hull planks. They really do make a massive difference, you can see the difference where I have half planked the gun whale.

I have also done the edging around the hole on the middle deck, this was done with the suppled hardwood. Cannons and stairs were just dry fitted for the picture as I though it would look cool BigGrin

I still havent decided if I will paint the cannon carriage or not yet, I really like how they look as supplied, maybe just add a wash but I also really like the look of them painted. Still plenty of time to decide.

I also like the step that Steve did on his on the inside where the deck meets the gun whales so will probably copy that. Could you advise what size wood you used for this please?

I am also considering staining the stairs but havent made a firm decision on that yet

Gandale
#123 Posted : 20 July 2015 11:07:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Have to say, think you're doing a super job on this build Dave, very well done indeed.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Martyn Ingram
#124 Posted : 20 July 2015 11:52:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin lovely work she is looking brilliant Cool This ship is definitely on my wish list as it looks awesome Love

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
stevie_o
#125 Posted : 20 July 2015 14:15:27

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice work Dave, planking the bulwarks is certainly worth doing, the less plywood on show the betterBigGrin

BTW, I used 2x2mm for the deck to bulwark step, I put these in as they are featured in the x-section build and on drawings of the real shipBigGrin

Steve
davetwin
#126 Posted : 20 July 2015 18:00:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks Alan, Martyn and Steve

I will have a look and see if I've got any 2 x 2 and order some if not as I really liked your step.

All my other builds seem to have been pushed aside at the moment and all my time spent on the Trinny, I'm enjoying it that much. At the rate I'm going I will catch up with my subscription. Although I really need to get back to my build of the year and start soldering up the LEDs
arpurchase
#127 Posted : 20 July 2015 20:13:26

BigGrin Looks great Dave, the cannon's always set a deck offCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

davetwin
#128 Posted : 22 July 2015 22:35:58

Thanks Andy Cool

The gunwhales have finished being planked and they do look soo much better although the macro zoom makes it look like there is a big gap between the planks which isnt the case

I then made two more surrounds for the holes that were left, you can see how they start off, after cutting and sanding the parts sticking out the instructions have you sticking them on and job done. I decided to round the edges off as I thought it would look better, I think the final restul is pretty nice

Next I moved onto planking the part under the transom, this seemed to go quite well and had no issues. You will notice that the pins are pushed in to the wood quite well, I use a punch and a hammer to give them a little tap so there no part of the pin protruding, this something I have done to all my pins

Next the door hinges were painted gold using Tamiya X12 Gold Leaf. After the doors are stuck on a 0.75mm hole was drilled to put the door handle in. I have just noticed a bit of white on the wood, I get some matt varnish on that and it will disappear BigGrin

Ladders down to the mid deck were added after surrounds were stuck down and ladders upto the poop deck also added.

This takes me up to stage 33 now and where we start shaping the the lower hull to start the plankinng, I am hoping this goes as easy as shaping for the dummy gun strips.

Garth
#129 Posted : 23 July 2015 07:22:26

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Dave,
Looking good, nice clean lines.
kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
Gandale
#130 Posted : 23 July 2015 10:48:15

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Very nice indeed Dave, lovely clean work on show.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
mogwai
#131 Posted : 23 July 2015 11:36:49

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi looking good there.very neat and tidy work.way your going ya may tempt me to making this my next ship build.BigGrin BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
davetwin
#132 Posted : 23 July 2015 11:47:20

Thanks guys BigGrin

Mogwai, I would definitely recommend this to anyone, Ive have found this so far a lovely ship to build, and think she will be a gorgeous model when finished. I am going mostly natural with her with maybe painting the gun carriages, but still decided on that last part.
stevie_o
#133 Posted : 23 July 2015 11:59:10

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

arpurchase
#134 Posted : 23 July 2015 20:32:40

BigGrin Nice work Dave ,Looks greatCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

nightwisher
#135 Posted : 24 July 2015 01:19:45

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Dave,some very impressive shots of the deck, looking good.
Man he took his time in the sun
Had a dream to understand
A single grain of sand
He gave birth to poetry
But one day will cease to be
Greet the last light of the library...We were here!
Martyn Ingram
#136 Posted : 24 July 2015 07:46:07

BigGrin lovely work Dave the decks look spot on Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
davetwin
#137 Posted : 29 July 2015 22:54:52

Thanks all for your comments

I have not had much time recently to spend at the bench, what with working 12 lots of 12 hour shifts and then when I get a few days off we decided that its about time we started decorting the house we puchased 20 months ago. This is no small task as the previous owner had left lots of cracks in the plaster from where cable runs were after a rewire, These really bugged the hell out of me so lots of digging out and filling has been done, as well as a lot of wall smoothing.

Anyway I got a little bit of progress made, I have started shaping the hull now and inbetween this I have started on the planking up the hull.

arpurchase
#138 Posted : 29 July 2015 23:07:35

BigGrin Nice start on the plankingCool

Martyn Ingram
#139 Posted : 30 July 2015 07:50:03

BigGrin Lovely start on the planking Dave and good luck with the walls I hate cracks as well Blink

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
Gandale
#140 Posted : 30 July 2015 09:17:03

Really coming along nicely. Planking, this is where she will start to show her beautiful lines, great start and look forward to seeing more....Cool Cool .. Very well done....

Regards

Alan