Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages «<7891011>
Dave's Santisima Trinidad Build - First Wooden Ship Build Options
Gibbo
#161 Posted : 07 August 2015 17:40:41

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

stevie_o wrote:
I quite enjoy planking - it can seem daunting as a whole but you need to think of each plank as a separate job and fit each plank as best you can. Take your time and you will be fineBigGrin

Steve

Good advice there Stevie_o.

Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
arpurchase
#162 Posted : 07 August 2015 22:06:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looking goodCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

tf64
#163 Posted : 08 August 2015 09:18:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Dave,
I agree with Stevie's post 161 this is the way that I planked my Victory, it can be a nerve racking experience at first but the more you do the better you are at it.

Also what I found, if you soak your wood and pin it around curves (as the Bow) and leave it over night to dry it will be less difficult to fit and will look good with no gaps because it has shrunk back to is original size also get ready to start tapering and read as much as you can about planking as I do.

Build On

Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

davetwin
#164 Posted : 11 August 2015 16:23:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks all for the comments.

I have continued up the hull and as you can see not far too go now BigGrin

A bit more on the bottom too, I am jumping back and forth in the manual a bit, the way I have done it is how advised in the manual, I just need to go back to do the bow and stern.

I have also started tapering the edges of the planks as advised to get them to sit closer to together, I think you will agree by looking at the pictures from the front that I have got a bit better than the first couple. The gaps wiil be filled with small wedges of wood when I've finished the hull.

That's all for a few days as off to Amsterdam tomorrow morning

Martyn Ingram
#165 Posted : 11 August 2015 16:32:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Planking is a black art but the more you do the better it gets Blink well done on the planking Dave keep up the good work ThumpUp

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
arpurchase
#166 Posted : 11 August 2015 19:50:31

BigGrin Looking goodCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

davetwin
#167 Posted : 11 August 2015 22:11:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Cheers guys, back late Friday BigGrin
nightwisher
#168 Posted : 11 August 2015 22:27:45

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The planking is nice and neat Dave, just wondering is there a reason you have stopped staggering the planks at the bottom.
Man he took his time in the sun
Had a dream to understand
A single grain of sand
He gave birth to poetry
But one day will cease to be
Greet the last light of the library...We were here!
davetwin
#169 Posted : 11 August 2015 23:14:40

nightwisher wrote:
The planking is nice and neat Dave, just wondering is there a reason you have stopped staggering the planks at the bottom.

Thanks Nightwisher, This is how the planking is covered in the instructions.

I believe it does start to stagger shortly as it comes up the hull
Gandale
#170 Posted : 12 August 2015 00:18:12

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking good Dave... Planking where the joints are not staggered is not the usual way planking is done but in this instance you are spot on by following the instructions, that way you shouldn't go wrong... Keep up the good work, looking forward to your next update.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
davetwin
#171 Posted : 16 August 2015 23:23:55

Thanks Alan, I did think about planking with staggered joints after reading lots of material on planking but in the end went with the instructions, as you say I cant go too wrong that way BigGrin

More progress has been made today, I am basically now up to the top of the bulwarks with the planking, with the exception of a plank and a half at the stern.

Wedges added to fill the gaps, there was only 6 in total going up the hull. You will also see that it looks a lot like a pin cushion at the moment LOL these will be pulled out tomorrow giving the glue plenty of time to set.

Gunports to be cut out then once I will finish the bottom of the hull I will get the filler out, Im sure I read that P38 car body filler is a good one to use.

The lines are looking good to my eye

Gandale
#172 Posted : 17 August 2015 00:57:08

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

She's certainly coming along Dave, nice work and well done.....Cool Cool .. Look forward to your next update...

Regards

Alan
Martyn Ingram
#173 Posted : 17 August 2015 08:09:29

BigGrin Looking good Dave cracking job Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
arpurchase
#174 Posted : 17 August 2015 20:42:27

BigGrin Hi Dave

Looking good with the progress on the planking, at the moment she looks rougher than a pine cone but you will suprise yourself how good she will look after the first sanding.

Regards

AndyCool

nightwisher
#175 Posted : 17 August 2015 20:54:59

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice planking Dave, I think it will end up a lovely shape I've only just noticed how many gun ports there are wow.
Man he took his time in the sun
Had a dream to understand
A single grain of sand
He gave birth to poetry
But one day will cease to be
Greet the last light of the library...We were here!
davetwin
#176 Posted : 17 August 2015 22:41:02

Gandale wrote:
She's certainly coming along Dave, nice work and well done.....Cool Cool .. Look forward to your next update...

Regards

Alan

Martyn Ingram wrote:
BigGrin Looking good Dave cracking job Cool

Rgd Martyn

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi Dave

Looking good with the progress on the planking, at the moment she looks rougher than a pine cone but you will suprise yourself how good she will look after the first sanding.

Regards

AndyCool

nightwisher wrote:
Nice planking Dave, I think it will end up a lovely shape I've only just noticed how many gun ports there are wow.

Thanks all for your comments BigGrin

Yes she has a lot of gun ports, 140 in al which I have just finished carving out, and then have to do again when I do the final layer of planks Blink

I will finish the planking of the lower hull and then do all the sanding in one go I think BigGrin

davetwin
#177 Posted : 25 August 2015 22:13:20

I have had some time to lay a few more planks today.

Firstly I made a plank bender as previsouly posted on here, one thing to note is to make sure it is cleaned out properly, in my case SHWMBO thought I was cooking tomatos when she brought my cup of tea LOL LOL

Then on to the planks themselves, I found the heated plank bender worked much better than soaking in water BigGrin

So far my planks are still falling in line with how they are done in the instructions.

Gandale
#178 Posted : 26 August 2015 00:31:59

Very nice Dave, soon she'll have her first skin on and by the looks of her she'll sand down very nicely.... Cool Cool .. Look forward to your next update...

Regards

Alan
davetwin
#179 Posted : 27 August 2015 22:38:36

Thanks for your comments Alan BigGrin

Just plodding along when I can at the moment between lots of early nights as I've gone from 12 hour night shifts to 12 hour day shifts at work. We are now in the final week of the 7 week track lowering project so things are getting a little intense days at the moment Blink

Anyway here are the pictures, gaps are starting to form now as I continue to follow the instructions, they will be pretty straight forward to fill though.

The stern to me looked like it would be the most difficult part of the hull planking, it looks as if I am getting it pretty symetrical on each side by my eye BigGrin I have had to do some fairing tweaking as I go but as well.

Over half way trough the first layer of planking BigGrin

I was given a tip to taper the edges of the planks so they butt up against each other, some of them I did some others I forgot, dont think its look too bad so far BigGrin

mogwai
#180 Posted : 29 August 2015 19:15:58

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi dave coming along very nicely.I actually enjoyed the planking, just need to convince yourself at times that the big hole is getting smaller doh.cheers mick.BigGrin BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.