Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Thorthefifth's Millennium Falcon Build Diary Options
thorthefifth
#1 Posted : 15 June 2015 03:16:56

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

As everyone else is doing, this will be where I document my build. I am currently awaiting my shipment and can't wait to begin my build.
I want to start off by saying, this is my first experience with model making. I am hoping I will be able to get some help from everyone here and to provide advise from my experience in the process.
A few notes about my build:
I am hoping to build a screen accurate Episode VII model. I will be basing the hull details on the various images currently available. When customizing the interior, I will hopefully be able to hold off a bit until newer images come out.
From the research I have done currently, I will be purchasing several pieces from shapeways to aid in my customization process.
I'm also going to be learning various painting methods along the way. I will not be using an airbrush but I will be using drybrush and weathering techniques to add detail. I will be completely repainting each piece from scratch. I'm a bit nervous about this whole process but I think it'll be really fun.

In the coming days, I should be receiving the bulk of my painting supplies and hopefully my first issues. I'm a photographer, so expect lots of detailed photos to document my process.
darbyvet
#2 Posted : 15 June 2015 03:37:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

welcome to the forum thorthefifth,
I am forum support for USa so let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I look forward to seeing your build diary.There are lots of Falcon builders here so I am sure we can help with any questions you may have.
Carl

thorthefifth
#3 Posted : 15 June 2015 04:47:20

Thanks darbyvet!

My first major question is: acrylic, oil or enamel for paints. I've purchased acrylics but, I'm plenty able to return them if I've made a mistake. Also, is there a particular thinner I should be using?
mbl
#4 Posted : 15 June 2015 07:00:46

If you're set on building a great Falcon, consider an airbrush. I put it off for years and wish I hadn't. Airbrushing is easily my favorite part of the hobby.

Acrylics airbrush great, especially the Tamiya colors. But they are awful for brush painting. Vallejo are great for brush painting, but I don't recommend brush painting for anything other than picking out small details.

I never use enamels. They dry slow and I see no advantage in them ever.

Use oils for weathering because they dry extremely slow and give much time to work with.
Warthog
#5 Posted : 15 June 2015 09:07:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

A warm welcome to Modelspace thorthefith BigGrin

Sounds like your going the full hog on this one as so many are trying to do and look forward to your results. as has been said by Carl, there are plenty of great modellers around here to help with advice and that's not just the Falcon builders. You will be surprised on how many different techniques from different media types can be added to great effect.

Good luck with her!

Regards
Spencer
Tomick
#6 Posted : 15 June 2015 09:10:44

Groups:

Welcome to ModelSpace, congrat's on your first medal and hope you enjoy your stay with us Cool
DwCr13
#7 Posted : 15 June 2015 11:24:59

Welcome to the forum and can't wait to see your build!!!

Adam

Adam
darbyvet
#8 Posted : 15 June 2015 15:34:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

thorthefifth wrote:
Thanks darbyvet!

My first major question is: acrylic, oil or enamel for paints. I've purchased acrylics but, I'm plenty able to return them if I've made a mistake. Also, is there a particular thinner I should be using?

Yes which paint to use.The $64,000 question!!

I like acrylics because they don't smell and are easy to clean up.You need to match the thinner to the kind of paint you are using.

if you are going to brush paint I would recommend the Vallejo or Citadel paints.There are acrylic paints that dry very quickly and if you are careful you wont see brush marks.

The Tamiya acrylic paints are great too, but they are better to airbrush than brush paint or you will see brush marks.

For the base coat you can use the cans of paint like the Model Master enamel paints or the Tamiya Lacquer spray cans. These do smell awful so you should only use them in an open space.They will give you a nice even coverage as long as you keep the can moving as you spray and don't hold the can too close to the model.You may want to pick up a cheap model kit at Walmart to practice on.

Oil paints tend to be used for weathering.You mix the oil paint with a LOT of whichever thinner they recommend for the paint to make a wash (a wash is a very dilute paint).You can then apply the wash to darken or highlight areas and since it is a different type of paint you can wipe of the excess without affecting the paint underneath.

Citadel and Vallejo also makes premade washes that you can buy.I recommend Nuln oil and Agrax Earthshade from Citadel.

Here is a link to the first in a series of videos which will go into depth about painting the Falcon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-Yaj2wlHS4

thorthefifth
#9 Posted : 15 June 2015 18:01:21

I will definitely considering getting an airbrush at this stage.
If I understand correctly, acrylics for airbrushing and oils for weathering. I really like the model space video. i'll probably follow the series for techniques. I'm going to get the Tamiya base color he recommended.
darbyvet
#10 Posted : 15 June 2015 18:42:23

thorthefifth wrote:
I will definitely considering getting an airbrush at this stage.
If I understand correctly, acrylics for airbrushing and oils for weathering. I really like the model space video. i'll probably follow the series for techniques. I'm going to get the Tamiya base color he recommended.

Yes that is correct. Oil paints come in the metal tubes are and very thick and slow drying.They have to be thinned with turpentine or other thinners.You use a brush to apply them and blend them on top of the basecoat.
Some acrylics are prenthinned (Vallejo model air paints) and these can be put straight into the airbrush.Other paints like the Tamiya need to be thinned with their respective thinners.You want the consistency of 2% milk, but it does require some experimentation to get the right air pressure, paint thickness and airbrush nozzle working together to get a good finish.Buy a cheap Walmart model when you get your airbrush and practice until you can get a nice smooth paint job.
Carl

CRphoto
#11 Posted : 16 June 2015 03:01:41

Welcome Thorthefifth,
I look forwarding to seeing how the Falcon has changed in EpVII. Your build log should be fascinating from that perspective. From the little bit I have gathered, the EpVII version may be closely modeled after the EpIV 5 foot model with a few bits from the 32, plus of course some new items thrown in. I cant wait until more details start reveling themselves. December 18th has never been so far awayDrool

As for painting, lots of great advice here so far. I am in the camp of using acrylics instead of enamels, as most have suggested.

See ya on the forums.
thorthefifth
#12 Posted : 16 June 2015 03:06:09

First set of supplies have arrived:

Am I even on the right track here?
darbyvet
#13 Posted : 16 June 2015 04:15:24

Yes good start there.The acrylic paints will be perfect for making washes and the Tamiya weathering powders work very well.You may want to pick up some superglue liquid as well as the gel and I use toothpicks to apply the glue.I also like 5 minute epoxy.It give you more time to position parts and is stronger than superglue.

Some files and a good pair of tweezers and sprue cutters would round out your supplies. I steal my wifes nail files for sanding down parts and I also have 320 grit and 600 grit for finer sanding or larger areas.

Dependin on your eyesight you may also want some magnification.I use cheater glasses and I have a head loupe for smaller parts.

Carl
davetwin
#14 Posted : 16 June 2015 11:08:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome, always good to see more builds, looking forward to seeing hiw your Falcon turns out
thorthefifth
#15 Posted : 21 June 2015 04:12:50

Finally received my first 4 issues. I'm still trying to find a nice airbrush and the correct paints.
galactiboy
#16 Posted : 22 June 2015 17:11:32

Amazon's a good place to find an airbrush and compressor... I was able to get a nice Badger Dual Action on sale for $50 and there are some no-name compressor kits for around $100.

I'm new to using them, but hopefully by the time I'm far enough into the kit to need the airbrush (thinking large sections of Hull) I'll be ready to go.
thorthefifth
#17 Posted : 25 June 2015 03:17:24

So, my airbrush and paints are on the way. In the meantime, I decided to prime all the parts for the next stage and build everything I can at this point. I added a bit of weathering here and there in the cockpit to give a bit of depth and I went ahead and did the turret window modification. I've decided to leave the cockpit stock except for the chairs, which will be painted more accurately.

CRphoto
#18 Posted : 25 June 2015 04:34:37

Ah, the smell of primer in the morning. It's the gateway to progress.
I sense your gona have a blast with that airbrush when it arrives.
thorthefifth
#19 Posted : 05 July 2015 20:21:16

I've made some progress on the cockpit but I'm still waiting on a few more things before I can airbrush the hull pieces. I bought a cockpit door piece from shapeways, modified it, painted and put it in place. I had to modify the cockpit floor piece also. I've painted the chairs and weathered the whole cockpit. let me know what you guys think.
dwayneg
#20 Posted : 05 July 2015 21:54:02

I like the wear on the seats, great job. ThumpUp
Tamiya 1/32 P-51D, Revell 1/32 Bf 109G-6 x2 1/32 P-51B, 1/32 Trumpeter Bf109K-4, 1/32 Hasegawa Bf 109E, Testors 1/32 F-117, RMF 1/35 Tiger 1