Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123>
Thorthefifth's Millennium Falcon Build Diary Options
Dan Kramer
#21 Posted : 06 July 2015 01:34:01

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

I really like those seat, too. That's some really great realistic wear on them.
The jump seats in the back are also really excellent. They have a very toy-like appearance in the stock packs, so I think some weathering helps immensely.
thorthefifth
#22 Posted : 07 July 2015 01:59:55

Thanks guys. I've been trying to figure out if it's safe to glue down the seats in these early stages, but I can't quite nail any reasons not to. The same with the cannon to it's fitting. Anyone have any ideas.
P.S. I'm so ready to get the second month's packs!
davetwin
#23 Posted : 07 July 2015 07:08:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice work on the seats BigGrin If you paint around the edges of cockpit control panel sticker, the thin white bit still visible it will blend in better with the control panel and give a much nicer finish Cool
thorthefifth
#24 Posted : 08 July 2015 17:34:28

I have figured out how to airbrush and have officially painted the first hull pieces and fitted the cannon.
I'm going to do the overall weathering once it is completely finished. The smaller pieces, like the cannon and the chairs, I went ahead and weathered since they would be harder to do down the road.

A Thumbs
#25 Posted : 08 July 2015 21:09:19

Canon looks very impressive! Are those grey panels silver? Or is that the light?
thorthefifth
#26 Posted : 08 July 2015 21:11:25

They are gun metal grey but the light makes them look silver. After I weather them, they should look a little less silver in the light.
davetwin
#27 Posted : 08 July 2015 22:17:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good so far Cool
thorthefifth
#28 Posted : 16 July 2015 17:32:51

I've gotten the next round of parts and spent all night finishing up the cockpit and gluing things in place there. I also got the hold started, weathered everything up a bit. My next step is to prime all the hull pieces that came in this pack for the cockpit section. Also need to put the finishing touches on the cockpit and hold parts I have including the seating.

davetwin
#29 Posted : 16 July 2015 19:45:04

Looking good Cool
thorthefifth
#30 Posted : 05 August 2015 16:20:13

I feel bad that I haven't really made a lot of progress lately. My airbrush has been acting up and I think I've about cleared that up. Month 3 is on the way, so I have to get caught up. I'm currently getting the cockpit hull section painted (if the airbrush decides to work properly). Updates soon...
thorthefifth
#31 Posted : 21 August 2015 18:43:26

So, I'm going to post some photos later of my progress. I've decided to go on a completely different route that is working very well for me. I went back to the drawing board and am using spray paint primer and base coat from home depot instead of the airbrush. I'm just having far too many problems with it. I am brushing on the panel color and I'm doing pretty well keeping the brush strokes invisible. I need some guidance though at this point. I want to do a wash across each piece but I have no idea where to start. I've been looking at some vallejo washes like Oiled Earth that I'd like to try. Any advice?
scraperjawa
#32 Posted : 21 August 2015 22:35:02

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Thorthefifth,

I've been doing something similar to what you are trying to do. I primer and paint a base coat of Tamiya Insignia White on my hull pieces. Then I am using the MIG 502 Abteilung Oil Paints to weather each piece. Just for reference, I used following colors: Abt030 Faded Navy Blue, Abt070 Dark Rust, Abt092 German Ochre, Abt130 Dark Mud, and AbtF510 Starship Filth. The oils dry slowly and are very forgiving if you mess up. There is a very good 6 part video series on You Tube by Fichtenfoo that shows how to weather with oils and pigments. I've gotten very good results with the oils so far and didn't use an airbrush. Hope that helps.

Stephen
Current Builds: HMS Sovereign of the Seas /// Lamborghini Countach /// Eaglemoss BTTF DeLorean

Finished Builds: Millennium Falcon

thorthefifth
#33 Posted : 01 September 2015 21:31:09

So, I decided to purchase the Paragrafix Photoetched cockpit kit. My results aren't perfect, but I'm happy with it. I'm excited to get the hold kit when it releases. I ended up using some styrene to pull the door forward from the wall and to push the door behind the frame a bit more. I'll have a lot more to update tomorrow after I receive the rest of my paints!

ObiwanCusset
#34 Posted : 02 September 2015 13:13:37

You've done a great work with weathering. I think that your gas commands are on the wrong side.
thorthefifth
#35 Posted : 04 September 2015 14:29:17

I am finished getting the color I want on the first batch of pieces I got. I decided to add paneling that was similar to the studio model but still unique. I am still hoping to base my model off the Episode VII Falcon. All of the reference I can gather shows that it is the same for the most part. I have to clean up the panelling on the turret base a bit but other than that, I'm extremely pleased with the results

Moonman
#36 Posted : 04 September 2015 15:21:56

Hi Thor,

Im really enjoying your progress thus far. I have not heard of the Paragrafix photoetched cockpit kit before. What comes with the kit and is this a worthwhile addition? I have been looking at the upgrade cockpit parts on shapeways but would like to purchase everything before I start assembly. I have recently ordered the MF and my first installment is due to arrive any day. Thanks!
thorthefifth
#37 Posted : 04 September 2015 15:28:34

Moonman wrote:
Hi Thor,

Im really enjoying your progress thus far. I have not heard of the Paragrafix photoetched cockpit kit before. What comes with the kit and is this a worthwhile addition? I have been looking at the upgrade cockpit parts on shapeways but would like to purchase everything before I start assembly. I have recently ordered the MF and my first installment is due to arrive any day. Thanks!

Here are links to the photoetched sets they have to replace the cockpit sections and hold sections.
ParaGrafix - DeAgostini Falcon Hold
ParaGrafix - DeAgostini Falcon Cockpit
Moonman
#38 Posted : 04 September 2015 20:35:37

That's a big help. Many thanks!
thorthefifth
#39 Posted : 05 September 2015 16:47:37

Moonman wrote:
That's a big help. Many thanks!

No Problem!

Here's a little progress:
Finished building the paragrafix cockpit (with much difficulty and heartache). It didn't turn out exactly the way I wanted it to, but I'm happy with it. I bought a console from shapeways and used the decals from paragrafix on it. I also have nailed down the paint job and I'm happy with it. Insignia White base, Medium Gray colored panels, and I've put a wash on it of Vallejo European Dust. This month's parts should be here any day!

thorthefifth
#40 Posted : 06 September 2015 23:49:57

One more quick post before I get started on the next shipment of parts. Added the burn marks in and cleaned up the turret section a bit. Also did the the same weathering to the top panel section as I've done with everything else so far. Started on the cannon also.