Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages <1234>»
Gibbo's DeAgostini Victory Build Diary Options
Gibbo
#21 Posted : 02 July 2015 01:51:49

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Well it's finally here, i started out by checking what was there and to see if anything was missing, after unpacking and laying everything out it seems the only thing missing is magazine no. 9, as far as i can tell its all there up to issue No. 80.
Gibbo attached the following image(s):
DSCN0928.JPG
DSCN0929.JPG
DSCN0931.JPG
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
Gibbo
#22 Posted : 02 July 2015 02:11:53

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

The ship itself on much closer inspection needs to be completely dismantled and started from scratch, i dont know how they did it but they managed to put most of it together without using hardly any glue, this is how it arrived to me.
DSCN0932.JPG
DSCN0933.JPG
DSCN0934.JPG
DSCN0937.JPG
DSCN0941.JPG
DSCN0939.JPG
Gibbo
#23 Posted : 02 July 2015 02:17:53

As you can see the ribs are coming away from their centres, there just isn't any glue, the only things holding them are the pinned planks, the decks are the same.
DSCN0938.JPG
DSCN0942.JPG
Gibbo
#24 Posted : 02 July 2015 02:23:05

I took an old knife out of the drawer, heated it up and bent it then cut a groove the width of the ribs and used this as a mini crowbar to prise the planks off and keep as many intact as possible.
DSCN0950.JPG
Gibbo
#25 Posted : 02 July 2015 02:30:48

after taking the planks off most of the boat just came apart without any problems, no soaking in hot water or steaming ( so far ), to get it to this stage took around an hour and a half, thank god for the lack of glue, this could have been a right pain.
DSCN0944.JPG
DSoldano
#26 Posted : 02 July 2015 03:19:24

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Paul,

I would consider that a stroke of luck. Look how easily she came apart for your restart. Now it's my turn to toast you with a nice McCallan's.

Dominick

On the Bench: DeAgostini HMS Victory, Moebius Creature From The Black Lagoon
Up Next: We'll See
Martyn Ingram
#27 Posted : 02 July 2015 08:15:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Wow that's a bit of luck that they didn't use a load of glue ThumpUp
Looking forward to seeing the rebuild

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
davetwin
#28 Posted : 02 July 2015 09:48:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Definitely a good bit of luck there, making it so much easier for you to start from scratch doing it right Cool
ian smith
#29 Posted : 02 July 2015 12:53:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Paul.
i can lend you issue no 9.
pm me your adreess and i will post it to you and you cansend it back when finished with.
IanBigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
nightwisher
#30 Posted : 02 July 2015 13:01:10

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Gibbo I cannot believe you have destroyed such a beautiful example of how not to build a ship BigGrin
Man he took his time in the sun
Had a dream to understand
A single grain of sand
He gave birth to poetry
But one day will cease to be
Greet the last light of the library...We were here!
stevie_o
#31 Posted : 02 July 2015 14:00:35

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

arpurchase
#32 Posted : 02 July 2015 21:46:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Wow looks like a puzzle shipBlink gone wrong but a perfect way to get a good start on her PaulCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

mogwai
#33 Posted : 02 July 2015 22:14:51

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi not any instructions me seen on my victory going on there eh.but glad it made it easy to get a restart.cheers mick.BigGrin BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
Gibbo
#34 Posted : 03 July 2015 01:18:03

DSoldano wrote:
Paul,

I would consider that a stroke of luck. Look how easily she came apart for your restart. Now it's my turn to toast you with a nice McCallan's.

Cheers Dominick

Gibbo
#35 Posted : 03 July 2015 02:13:00

stevie_o wrote:
Looks goodBigGrin , you almost have a fresh start there - the 2x5mm lime strips are not expensive either should you need to get more.

Steve

Hi Steve
Not sure yet whether i'm going to attempt a stained wood finish or a paint job yet, i've managed to salvage about 95% of the planks which i will use if i go for a paint finish, if not i will have to order some more for the stain finish so i can have a go at treenailing, just had a look at Tomick's build and realised there is no veneer layer, on all the builds i've looked at i've never noticed that before, do you know of anybody that has done that on here ?
Gibbo
#36 Posted : 03 July 2015 02:23:00

mogwai wrote:
Hi not any instructions me seen on my victory going on there eh.but glad it made it easy to get a restart.cheers mick.BigGrin BigGrin

It got even easier Mick, i thought the centre part of the ribs were glued onto the keel so i got one of those steamers that you clean your house with to soften the glue, and even they were not glued they were just wedged in there really tight and not all the way in, i realised this after doing a couple because they were getting tighter with the steam, i couldn't have got luckier with this ThumpUp
Gibbo
#37 Posted : 03 July 2015 02:26:17

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Wow looks like a puzzle shipBlink gone wrong but a perfect way to get a good start on her PaulCool

Yeah, happy days, the rest of it just popped out as well.
Cheers
Paul
Gibbo
#38 Posted : 03 July 2015 02:28:41

nightwisher wrote:
Gibbo I cannot believe you have destroyed such a beautiful example of how not to build a ship BigGrin

should have left it and built a rat version of the Vic.
DaDokta
#39 Posted : 03 July 2015 07:39:14

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Unbelievable how ugly a hull can be built!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
Gibbo
#40 Posted : 03 July 2015 13:38:16

DaDokta wrote:
Unbelievable how ugly a hull can be built!

i think it is quite obvious that he wasn't involved any sort of modelling forum or group, maybe didn't have any history with wood and a lack of tools, the planks weren't pre-bent and the hull not faired, still i'm not complaining it made my life a lot easier.