Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages <12345>»
Gibbo's DeAgostini Victory Build Diary Options
Gandale
#41 Posted : 04 July 2015 10:20:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

So pleased to see this kit has been rescued and delivered to someone who can do it justice. I know you'll do a great job, look forward to seeing the restoration bring her back to her true self.....Cool Cool .. Good luck, will be following all the way....

Regards

Alan
Gibbo
#42 Posted : 04 July 2015 11:39:14

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Gandale wrote:
So pleased to see this kit has been rescued and delivered to someone who can do it justice. I know you'll do a great job, look forward to seeing the restoration bring her back to her true self.....Cool Cool .. Good luck, will be following all the way....

Regards

Alan

Thanks for the vote of confidence Alan, i'm certainly going to give it my best shot.

Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
Gibbo
#43 Posted : 08 July 2015 00:31:50

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Here is the rest of it, and it all came apart very easily, some of the ribs that i thought were glued in were actually just jammed into the slots and not all of the way.
Gibbo attached the following image(s):
DSCN0951.JPG
Gibbo
#44 Posted : 08 July 2015 00:52:41

After going through all of the ribs there were four of them with either cracked or broken ribs so i decided to set about repairing them rather than replacing as replacing would have cost have around £21.00 spread over three mags, using the opposite rib as a template they were sandwiched in between lengths of planking on either side, both sides of rib 18 were broken so we're going to have to guesstimate that one, if that doesn't work it will have to be replaced.
DSCN0954.JPG
DSCN0961.JPG
Gandale
#45 Posted : 08 July 2015 01:13:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Gibbo, can't really see any reason why your idea shouldn't work but you will have to be careful pinning the planks to the weakened ribs... Only other potential problem you may have later will be with the gun ports but that can be easily resolved.... Cool Cool .. Great to see you managed to dismantle the mess and start again....Cool Cool .. Will be watching...

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#46 Posted : 08 July 2015 04:34:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi gibbo,BigGrin

Looks like a good start to the recovery.

WTG

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek )
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Gibbo
#47 Posted : 08 July 2015 10:05:44

Gandale wrote:
Hi Gibbo, can't really see any reason why your idea shouldn't work but you will have to be careful pinning the planks to the weakened ribs... Only other potential problem you may have later will be with the gun ports but that can be easily resolved.... Cool Cool .. Great to see you managed to dismantle the mess and start again....Cool Cool .. Will be watching...

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan
They're pretty solid now actually, i think once the decks are on and it is planked the Dremmel inside the gun ports will take care of that
Regards
Paul
Gibbo
#48 Posted : 08 July 2015 10:06:12

delboy271155 wrote:
Hi gibbo,BigGrin

Looks like a good start to the recovery.

WTG

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek )

Thanks Derek
nightwisher
#49 Posted : 08 July 2015 12:09:41

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I reckon these ribs will be fine once the dummy gun supports and decks are fitted,probably end up stronger than the others.
Man he took his time in the sun
Had a dream to understand
A single grain of sand
He gave birth to poetry
But one day will cease to be
Greet the last light of the library...We were here!
stevie_o
#50 Posted : 08 July 2015 12:25:05

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Those frames should be fine but as Alan says, you will have to be careful pushing the pins in when planking. You could always invest in some screw in planking clamps which can be used without putting as much pressure on the repaired frames - http://www.micromark.com...ing-clamp-set,6454.html

Steve

ian smith
#51 Posted : 08 July 2015 12:30:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Paul.
Nice to see you have managed to strip her back to a clean start.
look forward to seeing your progress Ian. Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Gibbo
#52 Posted : 08 July 2015 13:41:43

stevie_o wrote:
Those frames should be fine but as Alan says, you will have to be careful pushing the pins in when planking. You could always invest in some screw in planking clamps which can be used without putting as much pressure on the repaired frames - http://www.micromark.com...ing-clamp-set,6454.html

Steve

Thanks for the link Steve, they look good.
Martyn Ingram
#53 Posted : 08 July 2015 15:07:49

BigGrin Well done on striping the old planking . I snaped a rib on the SotS and fixed it with pins BigGrin held ok

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
davetwin
#54 Posted : 08 July 2015 16:27:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Excellant work getting it all apart and nice to see that it can all pretty much be saved, now looking forward to seeing you put it all back together Cool
jonny7england
#55 Posted : 08 July 2015 16:58:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Gibbo...Good to see the salvage work that you are doing...I found, that with a weak rib, using a very small G-clamp to hold the planking in place and holding a metal heavy object (in my case it was an old club hammer head) behind the weak rib while pushing the pins in worked every time for me...As the planking progressed upward it strengthened the broken ribs...Anyway...Good luck with it, look forward to see the restoration....
Wink ThumpUp
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
Gibbo
#56 Posted : 13 July 2015 19:39:42

Well i know i said i was going to build this in conjunction with my SOTS but i just couldn't contain myself, so i'm now building it in conjunction with my DelPrado Vic, so after stripping down and cleaning up i put together a build jig and glued the false keel and all the ribs back together, laid the first deck and fitted the dummy gun ports, what stands out for me is the ribs on my DelPrado are a lot thicker than on the DeAg so i'm going to have to be a lot more precise when i come to do the planking.
25.JPG
26.JPG
27.JPG
Gibbo
#57 Posted : 13 July 2015 20:28:12

For the second deck i have decided not to use the deck beams but instead glue the deck straight onto the supports on the ribs and then using Balsa Wood to create supports for the middle of the decks, i'm doing this because i dont like the idea of pencilling in the planks, the deck beams are 1.5mm and the deck is 2mm, my theory is using the 2mm decks onto the supports and then planking the deck with 1.5mm material making 3.5mm so the level of the deck does not change, i am planning to do this with all of the decks, i have used the second deck as a template for the quarterdeck so hopefully with a bit of re-working i can make it fit, if anybody can see a flaw in this plan which will affect what happens further on in the build can you please let me know, the only thing i can think of is the height of the cabins under the poop deck, i would very much appreciate any thoughts on this.
Cheers
Paul
29.JPG
30.JPG
28.JPG
Gibbo
#58 Posted : 13 July 2015 20:31:15

Wit the second deck fitted and weighed down the Victory temporarily has become a Freighter.
31.JPG
arpurchase
#59 Posted : 13 July 2015 22:18:38

BigGrin looking great and you look like your enjoying this buildCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gibbo
#60 Posted : 13 July 2015 23:06:25

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin looking great and you look like your enjoying this buildCool

I am thanks Andy, nice to work on something that's bigger than 1/100 scale.
Cheers
Paul