Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages «<678910>»
Gibbo's DeAgostini Victory Build Diary Options
Gibbo
#141 Posted : 14 August 2015 10:25:26

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Sinbad wrote:
Gibbo wrote:
The ship itself on much closer inspection needs to be completely dismantled and started from scratch, i dont know how they did it but they managed to put most of it together without using hardly any glue, this is how it arrived to me.

Wow! That planking is bad.
It's kinda sad in a way because some poor soul has bought this with good intentions, but it obviously was way beyond their skills.

It is isn't it, they obviously didn't follow the instructions in any way and didn't have the support help and inspiration of this forum.
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
z8000783
#142 Posted : 14 August 2015 12:30:53

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

The forum has certainly been crucial for me. Many mistakes identified and brilliant tips.
ian smith
#143 Posted : 15 August 2015 21:01:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Paul.
Just caught up with your build after the hold. Progressing really well planking and gun ports looking superp ianCool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Gibbo
#144 Posted : 13 May 2016 02:06:42

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi guys and gals, been around nine months since i did anything and posted something on here, i hope i find you all in good health, i hadn't gone away completely i kept popping back and looking at your builds and there's some cracking stuff going on, as for myself i just haven't done any of my hobbies lately, no guitar, no fishing, no modelling, too much work and no play does not make Paul a happy bunny, but time for a change, packed out the inside with polysyrene so that i could turn it upside down without breaking anything and started planking the lower hull, and trying to get the hang of this dropper plank thingy.
File Attachment(s):
53a.jpg (2,102kb) downloaded 11 time(s).
54.jpg (2,278kb) downloaded 8 time(s).
55.jpg (2,428kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
Gibbo
#145 Posted : 13 May 2016 02:23:12

Ooops, forgot i had to change to 800 X 600
Gibbo attached the following image(s):
53a.jpg
54.jpg
55.jpg
z8000783
#146 Posted : 13 May 2016 07:00:54

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Good idea using the balsa filler on the bows and the hull above the water line looks pretty great. The rest should sand up nicely.
tf64
#147 Posted : 13 May 2016 08:28:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Gibbo,

Your build is looking good, sometimes it takes a little while to get back into your build I'm sure it won't take you to long, I just wondered it you have seen Planking Techniques on our Forum.

Go to: Model Making Know How.

Look for - Hull Planking for Beginners it is about 10 down on the page(I used it all the time)

Hope it helps you

Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

Gibbo
#148 Posted : 13 May 2016 09:00:57

tf64 wrote:
Hi Gibbo,

Your build is looking good, sometimes it takes a little while to get back into your build I'm sure it won't take you to long, I just wondered it you have seen Planking Techniques on our Forum.

Go to: Model Making Know How.

Look for - Hull Planking for Beginners it is about 10 down on the page(I used it all the time)

Hope it helps you

Trev.

I have seen that thank you Trevor, i realised i was missing out a step in the mags and that's what was throwing everything out, sorted now though, thanks for looking in, much appreciated.
Plymouth57
#149 Posted : 13 May 2016 10:58:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome back Paul!

Looking really good! That brings back memories of the old DelPrado in her early stages - I thought I'd left her 'dormant' for a year or two before getting back to grips with the hull but it must have been much longer than that! If you can plank the hull in 1/100 scale, 1/84 should be much easier! (not so much tight bending!)

Best of luck with her and looking forward to the next installment!

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Gibbo
#150 Posted : 13 May 2016 11:09:11

Plymouth57 wrote:
Welcome back Paul!

Looking really good! That brings back memories of the old DelPrado in her early stages - I thought I'd left her 'dormant' for a year or two before getting back to grips with the hull but it must have been much longer than that! If you can plank the hull in 1/100 scale, 1/84 should be much easier! (not so much tight bending!)

Best of luck with her and looking forward to the next installment!

Robin.

I'm aiming to go with a natural finish on this one so the planking has to be spot on, i wasn't too fussed with my DelPrado because i was going to paint it, Bending and tapering fine, chamfering and droppers, never done that, bring it on.
ian smith
#151 Posted : 13 May 2016 11:17:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Paul.
Nice to see your back.
Looking good, look forward to seeing your progress.
Ian
Gibbo
#152 Posted : 13 May 2016 11:48:49

ian smith wrote:
Hi Paul.
Nice to see your back.
Looking good, look forward to seeing your progress.
Ian

Hi ian hope you're well, we talked about having a beer or three a while ago, we'll have to get that sorted mate.

Gandale
#153 Posted : 13 May 2016 18:13:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great to see you back and working on her Paul, will be following your posts as usual..... Looking great.....

Regards

Alan
Gibbo
#154 Posted : 13 May 2016 18:22:32

Gandale wrote:
Great to see you back and working on her Paul, will be following your posts as usual..... Looking great.....

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan, nice to be working on her again, hope all's well with you.
Cheers
Paul
Gibbo
#155 Posted : 21 May 2016 02:03:28

Well the bow seems to going ok i'm getting to grips with droppers, the stern on the other hand seems to have gone a bit awry, (note to self, pay more attention in class) rather than coming up and round i seem to be coming across more, i know where i went wrong i didn't twist the first plank enough, got some tapering to do as i work up the rows to rectify it, so the positive is "lesson learned", the other positive is last year Bernd very graciously sent me one of his plank bending tools, which you attach into the end of your soldering iron and makes it easier to get a tighter bend on the planks, this was very helpful in the stern planking, thank you Bernd.
56.JPG
57.JPG
58.JPG
59.JPG
60.JPG
Gandale
#156 Posted : 21 May 2016 11:40:42

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Gibbo, she's coming along nicely. The start of the stern section is very tricky to get right and it's not easy to twist and bend the planks around that area. Solution for me was to give the planks a good soak first, bend with a soldering iron.... Look forward to your next update..

Regards

Alan
Gibbo
#157 Posted : 24 May 2016 17:31:50

well after the shaky start of the stern section i think i am somewhere around where i need to be, my droppers at the bow seem to be very short ones compared to other builds i have seen, so for the people who have gone before me can you have a look and let me know what you think, Thanks
Regards
Paul
Gibbo
#158 Posted : 24 May 2016 17:32:11

well after the shaky start of the stern section i think i am somewhere around where i need to be, my droppers at the bow seem to be very short ones compared to other builds i have seen, so for the people who have gone before me can you have a look and let me know what you think, Thanks
Regards
Paul
56.JPG
57.JPG
58.JPG
59.JPG
60.JPG
ian smith
#159 Posted : 24 May 2016 20:20:45

Hi Paul.
looks fine to me. should sand down nicely. Keep the pictures coming.
Ian.
Martyn Ingram
#160 Posted : 24 May 2016 21:00:19

Looking good Gibbo the bow and stern are the most fiddly bits to fit , keep the faith and it will all come out ok

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe