Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

painting colors ?? Options
TechOz
#1 Posted : 26 June 2015 04:21:07

Groups: Registered

What colors should I use on painting the top turret? I know the base color just not sure on the type of Red and Yellow or Orange and grey markings. Any ideas people?
End of Line.
mbl
#2 Posted : 26 June 2015 06:00:28

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

On my Fine Molds Falcon.... For the base color I used a mix of Tamiya deck tan, white, and medium grey. I added a little white or grey to make each panel a slightly varied colored.

The grey is Tamiya xf53 Neutral grey.

For the red, I just customed mixed some red and grey I think.
TechOz
#3 Posted : 27 June 2015 01:59:50

I am looking at hobbylinc for the right red to use just not sure is all. Hope I get it right :)
End of Line.
RogerThornhill
#4 Posted : 04 July 2015 15:49:56

Just a side question, are the paint colors listed in the magazine or do you think Steve will elaborate on the colors in his video's ?
darbyvet
#5 Posted : 04 July 2015 16:45:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I would imagine both of those, but I don't know for sure.I do know Steve is going to go into more detail on paiting and weathering the Falcon so I assume he will also discuss color choices.
BradM73
#6 Posted : 04 July 2015 21:35:25

Steve Dymszo recommended Tamiya Inginia White for the base coat. Beyond that, I haven't seen anything in the books that reference any recommended colors yet.
TechOz
#7 Posted : 05 July 2015 08:54:14

Inginia White is What Steve recommends...So I bought 5 cans just in case and will be starting that this coming week. Just waiting for Hobbylinc to deliver my next shipment of paint. :)
End of Line.
CanadianJedi
#8 Posted : 16 July 2015 17:28:07

Does anyone know of a video tutorial that shows someone painting the quad cannons? I played around with the OOB one and wasn't thrilled with the result. I have a Shapeways one now and am thinking of painting it black first, then Insignia White. I am hoping the black will come through in the details. I am a novice painter so I am always reluctant to try something that may not turn out.
arpurchase
#9 Posted : 16 July 2015 20:15:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi CJ

Why dont you buy some cheap plastic cutlery for picnicks and practice spraying techniques on those 1st.

Regards

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

BradM73
#10 Posted : 16 July 2015 20:31:45

Yea, I'll probably get some insignia white, along with a bunch of other colors. I plan to polish up and JB weld the top and bottom half of the gun together because the screws don't even hold it together, then try to drill out the barrels a bit, then I will use metal primer on the barrels and paint a base coat in Insignia white. Then weather with black and some soot, then kind of go from there.
CanadianJedi
#11 Posted : 19 July 2015 16:06:31

Thanks guys. Good advice.
Kerberos
#12 Posted : 22 July 2015 04:45:21

Red. I like a nice rusty red or brick like color over a bright red for the panels on the Falcon myself...

Turbo-laser cannons. The Shapeway cannons have nicer detail, but if you're sticking with the metal ones make sure you prime it with a metal primer, something that will bite into or etch into the parts and keep the paint there, otherwise you could have flaking paint later. As to a black base coat for details, dark shading... That will work well if you are using an airbrush, if you are using Tamiya's AS-20 Insignia White (and it only comes in a spraycan), you will just cover it all up. Don't worry about it for now. You will be using a wash of thinned down paint that will collect in recesses and give you the darkened shadows as part of weathering. Maybe also some drybrushing (paint brush with almost no paint on it, it's covered in the cockpit section we already have) to lightly color/blacken the barrel ends (I'd do it with ground pastel chalks or charcoals myself for the best results).