Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages <12345>»
San Francisco II build by Arek (first wooden ship build) Options
jase
#41 Posted : 02 April 2018 10:05:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I like. The windows looks great
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
arek
#42 Posted : 03 April 2018 22:18:22

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks for stopping by and comments!

I'm still working on bulwarks, also I added another window!

Have to say I'm really happy from the effectBigGrin BigGrin . All hard work that I put in to fitting LED lights repays now.

Also all dors are almost finished now, ready to be fit!

I have few question about Varnishing and any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated!

For decks I used 4 coats of Danish Oil and I'm happy from the results. Is it ok to use Danish Oil as a finish for rest of the ship?Confused Danish oil seams to be almost odorless and that is a big advantage for me (small childrenCrying ).
I was looking for some odorless varnish but I can't find any information on the web.
Or should I look for some other alternatives?

Thanks,
Arek

jase
#43 Posted : 03 April 2018 23:05:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

those hinges look good and sturdy, doors look fab

nice job
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Gandale
#44 Posted : 03 April 2018 23:22:49

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Very nice indeed Arek, I love those doors.....Drool Drool .. As for Danish Oil, I've used that on my builds and to date it hasn't given me any problems at all. Good thing about it is it penetrates and protects and nourishes the wood but it will not give you a hardened protective coat against scuffs or scrapes. That shouldn't be a problem if the finished build is displayed within its own display cabinet.....Cool Cool .

Regards

Alan
magpie1832
#45 Posted : 04 April 2018 00:23:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks awesome mate, I use danish oil on all my builds.
Danish oil is a hard drying oil, meaning it can turn into a solid form. It can provide a hard-wearing, often water-resistant satin finish, or serve as a primer on bare wood before applying paint or varnish. It is a "long oil" finish, a mixture of oil and varnish, typically around one-third varnish and the rest oil. usually made from Tung Oil.
You can also stick parts to it with superglue no problem.

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Gibbo
#46 Posted : 04 April 2018 00:25:33

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Arek
Your lighting looks great and you've done fantastic job of those doors, looking forward to seeing more.
Regards
Paul
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
delboy271155
#47 Posted : 04 April 2018 01:02:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Looking good and even better to see you back on the forum.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Keep up the good work

Love Love Love

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

arek
#48 Posted : 04 April 2018 06:26:58

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thank you all for comments and a word of advice.BigGrin

So Danish oil for the rest of the build!Cool Cool

Have to say that after finishing dors I'm tempted to also replace all cast metal gun ports. Probably I will create some kind of jig for that job.

Anyway I will keep updating my log regularly.
Markwarren
#49 Posted : 04 April 2018 07:56:01

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice work on the doors, they look great.ThumpUp

Mark
arek
#50 Posted : 06 April 2018 12:17:07

Just a quick update.
Because i left my build for long time I forgot about balsa!Angry
My plan was to add some balsa before finishing bulkheads but is never to late for that. Now I just have to be more careful when sanding down.

Lesson learn for the future!BigGrin

I started from the bow in the first two ribs. After doing some sanding I realized that I probably need more between second and third rib.

Anyway that is my progress so far, looks like busy weekend ahead in my shipyard.LOL LOL
arek
#51 Posted : 08 April 2018 17:53:13

I had a very productive weekend!BigGrin Sanding and fairing the hull is finished also all dors are fitted.
I was expecting that sanding stern section to get the desired shape will be more difficult, after all wasn't that bad and I'm really happy from the end resultsCool Cool Cool

There's still one more deck to be fitted but it need some attention.

On the stern I cut holes for the windows in the Captains cabin. Now I have to make windows and dors before finishing the stern.

Any comments or suggestions are more than welcome!
Gibbo
#52 Posted : 08 April 2018 21:37:31

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Nice job on the sanding Arek, that's a great base to continue with.
Regards
Paul
magpie1832
#53 Posted : 08 April 2018 22:20:44

Nice fairing you've done there. Looking great.

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Gandale
#54 Posted : 09 April 2018 09:00:45

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Some really nice work being done here, she's looking great....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
arek
#55 Posted : 11 April 2018 21:13:05

Thanks all for stopping by and kind comments.BigGrin

The last part of the deck is finished and fitted.

Instruction says to use 1.5x3mm strip on the edge. I decided to change this little bit.

From the sharp blade I made some kind of jig and simply scrapped the strip until I got half dowel shape

I have some mahogany wood die so I used that on the bottom of the deck that is hanging over.
Also I cut off the last strip for the bulkhead to fit nicely under the decking part.

Final result.... probably not much of a difference but I think it look nice and neat. I might use this method to finish some other edges.Cool

Finally windows and dors for captain's cabin are ready. I took me few attempts for windows as I changed size and shape few times. For now I'm moving to stern part and then I should start plankingCryingCryingCrying

Martyn Ingram
#56 Posted : 11 April 2018 21:15:30

BigGrin Very nicely done looking forward to seeing more of this build Cool

Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Gibbo
#57 Posted : 11 April 2018 23:54:40

Verey nicely done Arek
Regards
Paul
Gandale
#58 Posted : 12 April 2018 11:12:30

Some very nice touches being added Arek, nicely done....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
arek
#59 Posted : 12 April 2018 19:56:40

Quote:

Regards

Alan

I'm hope for more of touches like this in the future Cool More time I spend on the build more ideas cumming in to my head.... I'm trying to personalize my ship but also test my skills before I move to some bigger build.

I'm actually already planing to start collecting some other model but simply cannot decide what to chose.Confused Confused For the moment on the top of the list I have Solei Royal or Sovereign of the Seas. Solei Royal is in the bigger scale so might be easier working on some details...

But that is not going to happened until at least Autumn, so far I have planking ahead of me and I'm really afraid to start this part.Crying Crying Crying
I looked on many tutorials and videos about planking but being honest the more I read, the more I'm confusedBigGrin

As always thanks all for stooping by. I should have some update after the weekend.

Arek
Gibbo
#60 Posted : 13 April 2018 00:08:39

arek wrote:
Quote:

Regards

Alan

I'm hope for more of touches like this in the future Cool More time I spend on the build more ideas comeming in to my head.... I'm trying to personalize my ship but also test my skills before I move to some bigger build.

I'm actually already planing to start collecting some other model but simply cannot decide what to chose.Confused Confused For the moment on the top of the list I have Solei Royal or Sovereign of the Seas. Solei Royal is in the bigger scale so might be easier working on some details...

But that is not going to happened until at least Autumn, so far I have planking ahead of me and I'm really afraid to start this part.Crying Crying Crying
I looked on many tutorials and videos about planking but being honest the more I read, the more I'm confusedBigGrin

As always thanks all for stooping by. I should have some update after the weekend.
Hi Arek
Planking is quite straight forward from the middle of the ship working up toward the gunwhales, a lot of the time depending on the ship you are building you wont have to make too many adjustments as mostly it's plank on plank, for the first time around it is a daunting prospect but i would suggest you do these sections first, that will give you the knowledge, know how, and confidence to work on the sections from the middle of the ship to the keel where you may want to add droppers and stealers to your hull, i don't know if you know what these are or not but i would suggest looking at the official HMS Victory build and the related video diary on youtube and is very useful as a guide for any ship you build, they explain these sections very well, on my first ship i just slapped them on not knowing what droppers and stealers were at the time but that didn't matter as i was painting it, and on my second i gave it a go and although it's not perfect i'm quite happy with it and moreover i surprised myself, just give it a go my friend i'm sure you'll do a stand up job.
Regards
Paul

Arek