Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages «<34567>
San Francisco II build by Arek (first wooden ship build) Options
arek
#81 Posted : 26 April 2018 16:04:28

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

tigerace wrote:
You are doing excellent work on thisBigGrin well doneBigGrin regards PhilCool

Thanks Phil,

I have to say I wouldn't be close to where I am at the moment without help that I received from this forum.Cool Cool

Regards,
Arek

arpurchase
#82 Posted : 26 April 2018 16:58:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Arek

As for your question,

'Should I thin PVA using water and literary spray? or simply "inject" some in holes just before sanding?'

You can do two things water down some PVA then do some sanding and collect the saw dust. Mix the sawdust into the PVA and then wipe the mixture into the holes then just carry on sanding.

The other way is to just wipe the thinned PVA straight into the holes and then sand, either way will place more sawdust into the loaded holes as you sand.

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

arek
#83 Posted : 26 April 2018 17:47:20

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks Andy,

I removed already all nails and planks are soaking!Cool Cool

Should have some update by end of the weekend.

Happy modeling everyone!

Arek

arek
#84 Posted : 01 May 2018 09:37:17

Hi all,

Just want to thank for choosing my diary as "Best ModelSpace Kit - Build Diary of the Month"Blushing Cool

Also I would like to encourage everyone to start own diary, this is a great way to get help feedback and share ideas.

As per my build. I came across bit of problems with planking but I'm "back on track" now Cool Hoping for update this weekend.

Thanks again.
Arek
tigerace
#85 Posted : 01 May 2018 12:46:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

It`s a pleasure to watch ArekBigGrin well done on the comp winThumpUp ThumpUp regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

CaptnBirdseye
#86 Posted : 01 May 2018 13:19:20

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

tigerace wrote:
It`s a pleasure to watch ArekBigGrin well done on the comp winThumpUp ThumpUp regards PhilCool

Seconded! Thoroughly well deserved. Keep the build coming

Gray
arek
#87 Posted : 04 May 2018 20:56:53

Planking is finally finished!BigGrin Cool

It was a very slow and sometimes frustrating Mad but rewarding at the end.
I do not think I've put more than 2 planks in a day!

Couple pictures from the progress.

Because all the time I was focused so much on the bow I did not noticed that distance between the planks on the third rib is smaller than on the 2 and 4 rib. In order to minimize this I had to take off one roll of planks on each side and taper them more on the third rib. Then I placed next plank so it would lie down freely without bending. Using masking tape I transferred the shape on to the plank and sanded down to the required shape.

Through my inattention, the final stage was longer and more complicated but I'm happy with the final result.Cool Cool

I actually started sanding on one side but still plenty of sanding aheadBlink

Happy modeling!
Arek

arpurchase
#88 Posted : 04 May 2018 21:08:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Arek

Congrats on the result of your planking it looks the bizz, taking your time has certainly paid off and many would love to reproduce the results you have achieved. the sanding will now transform the planking into something special im sure.

Top work.

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Martyn Ingram
#89 Posted : 04 May 2018 21:24:13

BigGrin Nice work Arek looking forward to seeing your next update Cool
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Diseased Bunny
#90 Posted : 04 May 2018 22:56:40

That hull planking looks excellent
Gandale
#91 Posted : 04 May 2018 23:28:10

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

You've done a great job with the planking Arek, your patience has certainly paid off.... Very well done indeed....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
magpie1832
#92 Posted : 05 May 2018 00:04:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice planking Arek, I remember doing mine and them planks weren't the easiest to shape and bend. You have done yours extremely well. Well done.

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Gibbo
#93 Posted : 05 May 2018 09:06:33

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Very nicely done on the planking Arek
Regards
Paul
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
arek
#94 Posted : 05 May 2018 10:49:45

Big thank you all for kind comments! Blushing Blushing
Instruction isn't really great at this point but with help of this forum wasn't that bad after all.Cool Cool

@magpie1832 - I found that electric plank bender was a life saver to me. I know that everybody have own way for bending planks but after some practice I was able to bend planks in two directions using this handy tool.

Up next, I'm moving up on the bulwarks.
As I mentioned before there will be change to the original plan. Photo below shows the change that I want to do, we'll see what will come out of this. I personally think that this smooth transition will look better.

But first I gonna have to make final windows for the both sides of captain's cabin.

Happy modeling,
Arek
arek
#95 Posted : 05 May 2018 17:11:39

I sprayed today hull with hot water to help close holes after pins and this is what I saw!Crying Crying
This doesn't look good! isn't it?

It looks like instead of wiping out excess of glue I wiped in most of it! Obviously I overused the PVA glue.Blushing
The good news is that after being sprayed glue is getting soft so it is possible to remove with hobby knife. Other side that I already started sanding looks better but still plenty of glue is visible when sprayed with water.

I'm really not sure but I assume that all execs need to be removed otherwise Danish Oil is not going to cover this a nd it will show white stains. Am I right??

Another thing learned in a hard way.....

Have great weekend,
Arek
arek
#96 Posted : 07 May 2018 01:24:13

Hi All,

Last set of windows is ready to fit. This time I made windows before I cut the holes in the hull.BigGrin

I started lay planks on the head rails.

First I made the joint as smooth as possible then started with the planks. Supplied material is long enough to lay plank along the hull and head rails without joints. It turned out that 2 planks fit perfectlyCool

Also I managed to broke one of this....Blushing

In the meantime, I am still working on the glue crisisCursing

As always any comments and suggestions are more than welcome.

Happy modeling,
Arek

Martyn Ingram
#97 Posted : 07 May 2018 06:39:43

BigGrin Hi Arek I tape a couple of bits of polystyrene to the forecastle and pop deck when the hull is upside down so I don't snap anything off Cool

Hope this helps
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
arek
#98 Posted : 07 May 2018 07:27:41

Martyn Ingram wrote:
BigGrin Hi Arek I tape a couple of bits of polystyrene to the forecastle and pop deck when the hull is upside down so I don't snap anything off Cool

Hope this helps
Martyn

Hi Martyn,

Thanks for your comment,

I have secured with some foam but polystyrene seams to be a better option, nothing major but shouldn't happened,Blushing especially when people who finish this build warned about this part.

Regards,
Arek
arpurchase
#99 Posted : 07 May 2018 11:53:55

Your glue problem try this,Let the PVA dry completely and then sand as normal until you have a good finish. You can then wet the wood to find if any glue is still there and then re-sand these areas.

A tip during construction is to always have a damp cloth handy to wipe away the excess glue.

arek
#100 Posted : 07 May 2018 13:16:32

arpurchase wrote:
Your glue problem try this,Let the PVA dry completely and then sand as normal until you have a good finish. You can then wet the wood to find if any glue is still there and then re-sand these areas.

A tip during construction is to always have a damp cloth handy to wipe away the excess glue.

Thanks for the tip and word of advise Alan.

Will do that as soon as I finish planking bulwarks. I have already small difference in plank thickness between last plank on the hull that was sanded and first on the bulwark.

I was actually thinking to change glue from PVA to Aliphatic but there is no point in that stage.

Arek