Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages «<567
San Francisco II build by Arek (first wooden ship build) Options
Markwarren
#121 Posted : 21 May 2018 07:49:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Some lovely ship building Arek.Love

Mark
TRGRichie
#122 Posted : 21 May 2018 07:51:20

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

arek wrote:
Thanks for comments guys,

@Richie , that's why I chose wood, it gives me so many opportunities for changes and tailoring to my needs Cool

Regards,
Arek

Yes wood does appear to give the modeller scope to 'play'
Must admit I'm not a fan of plastic kits, but prefer the mixed material kits.

Thanks
Rich
AUTO FRUMP STOMPER
Custom Porsche RS Build - http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=posts&t=25728
arpurchase
#123 Posted : 21 May 2018 09:43:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nice work ArecCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

arek
#124 Posted : 22 May 2018 20:21:27

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks all for stopping by and such a kind comments!Blushing

I was checking wood taht I have left and turned out that most of apple wood supplied is gone missingConfused . I tough that I have all wood in original box but definitely some is missing. When I was taking break from my build I was moving to the different place and probably then this happened. I think I gonna replace apple wood with mahogany and stain on to some darker colour.

Regards,
Arek
arpurchase
#125 Posted : 23 May 2018 07:27:10

BigGrin Hi Arek

Cornwall model boats do a good range of wood for models:-

https://www.cornwallmode...uk/acatalog/timber.html

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

arek
#126 Posted : 23 May 2018 17:36:21

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi Arek

Cornwall model boats do a good range of wood for models:-

https://www.cornwallmode...uk/acatalog/timber.html

AndyCool

Hi Andy,

I know them very well, especially their great customer serviceWink

Actually I was about to place order with them for some wood as I'm planing to replace metal cast gunport lids with timber. Seems like walnut would be the only option to replace apple wood because is available in range of sizes that I need. Something to think about

Regards,
Arek

Tomick
#127 Posted : 23 May 2018 21:50:40

Groups:

Nice work Arek and careful thought process, well done Cool
arek
#128 Posted : 30 May 2018 20:03:49

Today received my timber.Drool

I chose walnut as a replacement for apple wood.

I'm certainly not an expert, but it looks like timber is very good quality. All strips are straight and have nice smooth surface without splinters and cracks.

Also I made "bending test" on 5x2mm strip.
Soaked the timber in hot water then bent around my electric plank bender (have to re-soak 2 times)
End result is more then satisfying!Blink Cool Blink Cool

Unfortunately timber gonna have to wait until I will be back from my holidays but all looks very promising.

Regards,
Arek

Gandale
#129 Posted : 30 May 2018 23:14:25

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

If you can bend hardwood like that then it shows you really have received good quality material....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
arpurchase
#130 Posted : 31 May 2018 07:20:00

BigGrin All looks good to meCool

magpie1832
#131 Posted : 17 June 2018 19:05:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Look forward to seeing your progress with your new batch of wood.

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Martyn Ingram
#132 Posted : 17 June 2018 19:17:04

BigGrin The Walnut strip looks very good quality Cool the only problem with Walnut it certainly knocks the edge of blades Crying . Looking forward to seeing your next update m8
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe