Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

HELP..... White mist... Options
magpie1832
#1 Posted : 05 July 2015 20:51:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I have sprayed the bottom of my Hood hull with vallejo semi varnish. But its gone white. Its not looking good. I know the sea salt dries white but its too extreme to say its that lol.
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

stevie_o
#2 Posted : 05 July 2015 21:12:49

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Chris,

Could be down to humidity, I have had the same with the airbrush - if you brush them on it dosent happen.

I think it happens more on matt and semi varnish and is due to the matting agents, sometimes can be got round by spraying a gloss first, then a matt - which leaves a semi matt finish, if you get what I meanLaugh

Vallejo seem to have their own rules when it comes to paint, primers and varnish but have the best end results when you get used to them

Steve

magpie1832
#3 Posted : 05 July 2015 21:42:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Cheers Steve.
So spraying it with future will be ok. Which varnish would u recommend for spraying then.

I might try brushing aswell.

Chris.
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

stevie_o
#4 Posted : 05 July 2015 22:17:00

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

You could brush some future on it, it's self leveling so wont show any brushmarks either. Ive not had much success spraying it, I always put too much onAngry

With something the size of the hood though Id probably go for a rattle can of semi gloss or matt lacquer. I have used the semi gloss and gloss Rustoleum crystal clear and it sprays beautifully - http://www.transtools.co...Zy-znfME81XOBoCig7w_wcB

Steve
magpie1832
#5 Posted : 06 July 2015 22:50:46

Quick update, I have just given HMS Hood a few coat of future with a cloth. Im actually happy with the results. Its now got a semi sheen. Its still rough on the bottom but once turned over its not seen or touched.
It looks better than last night.
Thanks Steve..ThumpUp
Chris
On the bench