Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Dorsal iris hatch on port side Options
Dan Kramer
#1 Posted : 06 July 2015 21:03:09

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Okay, let's open this little can of worms.
What are the thoughts of the community regarding the place where Lando was supposed to have come up to pull Luke from the antenna array.

Issue 3, page 6 shows a nice shot of the hatch Lando comes up. Can anyone identify anywhere on the hull of the Falcon that looks like that? I think it's intended to be the first circular piece between the quad guns and the port docking hatch.
The Hayes manual identifies this as where Lando came up, but it bears no resemblance to the area on screen.

I'm kinda mulling over modding the part to show the hatch as it looked in the scene in ESB. My worry is that the look of the ship would be far too different.

Is there anyone else thinking about this particular part? I figure most folks just ignore the discontinuity, but I'd like to at least somehow acknowledge the extra hatches the ship has.
Heavens Eagle
#2 Posted : 07 July 2015 00:27:06

Groups:

Here are my thoughts on this issue; When in doubt, refer to your references in this order:

1. Photos of the original filming miniature. These are correct 100% for the model which is what this kit is supposed to be.

2.Set photos of the full sized sets when it is of an item or area that isn't covered by photos of the model. Sets are usually sized for filming convenience or other issues. In this case set photos are used for the hold, cockpit, and corridors or details of the boarding ramp or landing gear.

3. Third party sources. These can be used to fill in blank spots, especially when 2 or more agree on certain details.

Remember, the one thing when dealing with sets vs. models is that the sets usually won't fit. The best example of this is the Jupiter 2 from "Lost In Space". The large 2 level set just did NOT fit in the single level model, but it is still one of the more popular modeling subjects.

One last thing, having received only the first shipment of weeks 1-4 I can attest to errors on the Starboard side over the boarding ramp and on the turret disc when compared to photos of the filming model. Nothing major mind you, and nothing that can't be fixed, but differences all the same. It just depends on what level of perfection you want.

Hope this helps.
TechOz
#3 Posted : 09 July 2015 03:56:28

I agree do your homework there are a lot of info on falcon on the web.
End of Line.
RogerThornhill
#4 Posted : 09 July 2015 14:35:56

That is an interesting question. I was thinking about it and decided to wait and see how they handle it on the model itself

TechOz - There is a ton of stuff on the internet but Im not sure what photos are from what version - I LOVE star wars but I don't know if I could tell you what version was in A New Hope vs Empire vs Jedi. That's where DeAgostini will be putting up reference photos up and I am waiting for that.
imurme
#5 Posted : 07 February 2016 02:12:43

Groups:

I actually had seen a post on the RPF boards a while back about this, it shows how this hatch may actually be on the Starboard side, same side as the ramp, not on the Port side like most sources show...here is the link to the original post and a qoute from the post...

http://www.therpf.com/sh...;viewfull=1#post3829319

"...These images show, categorically with out any room for doubt, that the lift is on the starboard side of the ship. The images are reinforced with the logic seen on film: the movement of the ship under Luke to Starboard, and Lando taking him to Leia in the cockpit which is now closer and on the same side of the ship as the lift - instead of taking him from Port, past the medical bunk, to Starboard and then back to Port.

The surface details are from the 5 foot Falcon, Starboard side - not Port. The far-right image is the Port side - the details are completely different."

Vex
#6 Posted : 07 February 2016 03:14:34

Funny, I just noticed someone made a shapeways part for this. Iris Upper Hatch
birdaj2
#7 Posted : 07 February 2016 10:36:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Always impressed by the amount of research you Falcon builders are putting into this one.

Those shapeways 3d parts certainly look like some good additions for this model.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Dan Kramer
#8 Posted : 10 February 2016 23:09:05

Imurme and Vex, thank you for the info!

Now I'm really wondering how the lift was supposed to work if it was on the same side as the ramp.
Those wacky film makers, not caring if the tech details made any kind of sense...

I just ordered the Shapeways iris part to play with. I'll report back on my findings.

Sonic_Sun
#9 Posted : 11 February 2016 23:10:42

Groups:

Vex wrote:
Funny, I just noticed someone made a shapeways part for this. Iris Upper Hatch

this is me BigGrin
from Germany Glare
is still in development but work fine. BigGrin
greetings from Germany. BigGrin

complete running of the development in the German model space forum.
"Oberer Ausstieg (iris hatsh)"
https://youtu.be/UuEKANQ3OZc

btw its on left side Glare