Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

What is your choice of paint types? Options
TechOz
#1 Posted : 07 July 2015 05:10:18

Groups: Registered

I was using enamel paints and I got to say I now have been a lot more fond of Acrylic paints. Seems to me it is so much easier to work with. I am now working with laq paint too. What is your type of paints?
End of Line.
davetwin
#2 Posted : 07 July 2015 07:04:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I am using Acrylics myself. I started off exclusively using Tamiya but more and more shifting to Vallejo model air know, both in my opinion are fantastic paints to use. I also love the Tamiya fine surface primer, but again also started using the Vallejo primers now too.

I have also recently tried STYNYLREZ primer that someone recommended, however ky first impression is that it is very much a rebottled vallejo primer with an inflated price tag
Myhikingboots
#3 Posted : 08 July 2015 02:27:24

What colors are you using?
Metal Mech
#4 Posted : 08 July 2015 04:28:30

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I will probably use the same stuff I use on my Gundam kits. War Painter primer, which comes in a variety of colors. I have actually used the primer a few times as the intended color. I can't recommend the stuff enough. Its great overall and a decent value.

I mostly paint with rattle cans and I use Tamiya. I also use Tamiya flat black bottle paint and gundam panel markers for detailing.

I will also use Citadel paints for when I do any hand painting.

DeAgostini kit builds:

Millennium Falcon: 18% Complete
Shelby GT-500: 28% Complete
Thunderbird 2: 13.75% Complete
mbl
#5 Posted : 08 July 2015 04:59:49

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

For airbrushing, I don't think you can beat Tamiya acrylics. Very forgiving, and easy clean up. For hand brushing, which I rarely if ever do, use Vallejo. But I think they're very poor for airbrushing. I never use enamels. For primer, Tamiya rattle can... can't beat it.
Nemesis
#6 Posted : 08 July 2015 13:59:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Only use acrylic now. For airbrush I use vallejo Model Air, can be used straight from the pot and the finish is superb, also Tamiya thinned down. I also have Ak for airbrushing. For the brush work, any of them really. Primer is vallejo as is varnishes. If I am doing cars or bikes then rattle cans.BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
Heavens Eagle
#7 Posted : 08 July 2015 16:15:23

Groups:

I use whatever will do what I need done. With that said, I really like Alclad lacquers, Vallejo acrylics, Testors flat military colors, Humbrol when I have them, and (when I can find them) the old Floquil paints.

I like the Floquil paints as they airbrush quite well straight out of the bottle and have some decent colors. They also work well for a base coat or primer for acrylics.

The Alclad primers have some microfillers that make them work well to fill small imperfections. those come in black, white, and grey and also work well for base colors. Their gloss black is exceptional. The metallics are also top notch. The drawback is that they are for airbrush only.

As for the Vallejo acrylics, a lot of colors, very fine pigments and good coverage. They need to be thinned with water for use and a wet pallet is a wonderful neccessary that makes it a joy to paint with them. A wet pallet can also keep the paint from drying prematurely so you don't waste very much at all.

Testors and Humbrol are my go to enamel paints. In a lot of cases they are the base coat primer and the acrylics are used over them for weathering and detailing.