Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages 123>»
myawn's Millennium Falcon Build Diary Options
myawn
#1 Posted : 26 July 2015 14:11:55

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi Everyone ... I received my first shipment yesterday, and after a trip to HobbyTown to pick up paints and various tools, I'll be starting on Issue #1 today.

My plans for the build:
- I don't plan a complete hull repaint; I will do a little weathering and hope to tone down some of the brighter color patches. (I'm still figuring out how I'll do that and think I'll probably do some test patches on styrene today just to see how it turns out).

- I'll probably do more extensive modifications to the interior; I've order the ParaGraphix cockpit and will also be looking at some ShapeWays parts.

- Inspired by Colson's build diary, I'm planning to add additional fiber optic lighting.

The ParaGraphix cockpit has openings to support being lit from behind like the OOB cockpit bulkhead. But if I'm using fiber for these, the openings are much too large. My thought at the moment is I'll install the fiber into thin styrene strips and then affix these to the back of the photoetch parts. That feels like it gives me a bit of a safety margin, I can mess up a few strips without damaging any expensive parts.

I may change my mind on how to do that when I see what others are doing .. I'm fairly inexperienced at this so I'm not sure I'll be a trailblazer at solving any challenges.

I'll try attaching a photo, nothing much to show at this point but just want to see that I can get the photo resized correctly to show inline.
myawn attached the following image(s):
Issue #1 - 4 Parts.jpg
Thrakensal
#2 Posted : 26 July 2015 15:25:26

Welcome aboard, Myawn. Hope to see some really good things in your build. You're going to love this Smile
Dan Kramer
#3 Posted : 26 July 2015 19:41:44

Welcome aboard!
Looking at the Paragrafix set, I may need to get that myself. I'm really wanting those teeny headsets for my cockpit and gun turrets. BigGrin
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 26 July 2015 20:34:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Welcome to the forum Myawn, it looks like you going to have fun building this kitCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

davetwin
#5 Posted : 26 July 2015 23:35:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome myawn, its great to see another Falcon builder on board.

There should be tutorials later in the build for weathring the hull which should help to tone down the bright coloured patches.

I look forward to following your build Cool
myawn
#6 Posted : 02 August 2015 19:15:48

I'm done with the cockpit seats ... very closely followed colors and techniques shown on other threads here. Up close some of it is a bit rougher than I'd like but from a normal model viewing distance I think this all looks great.

Just about done with the quad cannon, also -- just a little weathering to finish and I hope to have pictures to upload of that soon.
FrontSeatsCollage.jpg
PassengerSeatsCollage.jpg
Stephan199
#7 Posted : 02 August 2015 19:20:53

Nicely done. I had a lot of issues with the seats and your step by step and photos really helped me understand the process.
Lance
#8 Posted : 02 August 2015 19:46:33

Waow
Excellent work Myawn. Comprehensive step-by-step AND all in one big frame.
Nice montage, thank you.
davetwin
#9 Posted : 02 August 2015 21:54:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great Job myawn, they look really good Cool
Gandale
#10 Posted : 03 August 2015 00:17:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Welcome to the forum Myawn and a great start to your build... Love the way you've laid it out on your post, very informative... Am going to looking forward to seeing more of your work.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
darbyvet
#11 Posted : 03 August 2015 00:23:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Looking good.I love the step by step photo sequence.I am sure that will ve very helpful to a lot of builders

Carl
darbyvet
#12 Posted : 03 August 2015 00:25:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Lance wrote:
Waow
Excellent work Myawn. Comprehensive step-by-step AND all in one big frame.
Nice montage, thank you.

Welcome to the forum Lance.I hope you will post a build diary.I am forum support for USA/Canada so let me know if I can help in any way

Carl
myawn
#13 Posted : 04 August 2015 15:54:55

Finished up the quad cannons. Set up a complex work station with a dremel workstation (drill press) and vise but in retrospect might have done just as well with a handheld pin vise.

Didn't do a great job getting those barrel holes centered but I am still pretty happy with the way everything looked when all was finished.

Now awaiting arrival of the ParaGraphix photo etch cockpit set ... that looks like it's going to be fun!
QuadCannonCollage.jpg
davetwin
#14 Posted : 04 August 2015 16:44:56

Price work Mike, keep the updates coming Cool
myawn
#15 Posted : 24 August 2015 16:59:12

The ParaGraphix photoetch cockpit set arrived and I've been working on it several days. Not done yet, buy a long shot, but wanted to share my progress so far.

The ring that surrounds the cockpit bulkhead was nearly my undoing. I glued it to my thumb about 5 different times, and then of course when I tried to free my thumb the entire thing came loose (and was mangled into unnatural shapes and the paint finish was ruined. Finally got it in place and I think it will look OK when installed and largely out of sight, but if anyone can share tricks for working with these parts I obviously have much to learn.

Still undecided whether to use LED or fiber optic lights for the center console and main control panel. I would like to use the fiber optics (and have already purchased some) if I can make it work. I think the single large screen on the main control panel would work better as an LED but I don't think there is room to do both ... but I might see whether I can figure that out.

Next step is decals, which I'm paranoid about because several posters have said they're rather fiddly.

Nothing original in my build -- following very closely the steps shown by Iain Costall of Small Scale Futures, whose Facebook album pretty much lays out exactly the approach I've taken thus far.
Paragraphix Cockpit photoetch.jpg
Cockpit bulkhead unfinished test fold.jpg
Primered cockpit pieces.jpg
Painted cockpit pieces.jpg
Test fold after painting.jpg
The ring of torture.jpg
Not looking so good.jpg
A little more paint helped.jpg
Micro Kristal Klear on back.jpg
Batman plus styrene.jpg
Bulkhead template.jpg
Ready for radical surgery.jpg
ModelMania
#16 Posted : 24 August 2015 17:18:59

Groups:

There is an amazing new technology called 'Light Emitting Paper', you can find out more about it here:

http://www.rohinni.com/#technology

Thin as paper (hence the name) so it takes up virtually zero room in such a small space as a model cockpit, you could place it behind any instrument panels and just fill in any holes where you might want to place LEDs with a transparent film of the appropriate colour, then when connected to a power source, hey presto you have your myriad of different colour lights and gauges fully illuminated!?

It has endless possibilities!! Cool Cool

Kev BigGrin
davetwin
#17 Posted : 24 August 2015 17:47:45

I have used the Paragrafix decals on my 1/72 Falcon and they were very delicate, however I believe these have been pre sealed with a decal sealer to make them more 'workable' for novices so as long as you follow the instructions to the letter you shouldn't have a problem
LrdSatyr8
#18 Posted : 25 August 2015 14:21:19

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

ModelMania wrote:
There is an amazing new technology called 'Light Emitting Paper', you can find out more about it here:

http://www.rohinni.com/#technology

Thin as paper (hence the name) so it takes up virtually zero room in such a small space as a model cockpit, you could place it behind any instrument panels and just fill in any holes where you might want to place LEDs with a transparent film of the appropriate colour, then when connected to a power source, hey presto you have your myriad of different colour lights and gauges fully illuminated!?

It has endless possibilities!! Cool Cool

Kev BigGrin

I've tried something simliar called Light Sheet... the problem is it's not very bright in bright light conditions. It also required AC and was powered like florescent bulbs. They put it in night lights as a sheet and it looks pretty good in the dark but when you turn on the lights you can't tell that the light is on at all.
myawn
#19 Posted : 04 September 2015 17:31:23

More progress on the ParaGraphix cockpit.

On the rear bulkhead and surround, I got as far as doing the decals, and then ruined a few (the first one I tried, over the door, folded over on itself and when I tried to coax it back flat it ended up ripping). So I ended up ordering a replacement sheet of decals, and while waiting for those I shifted focus to working on the front half of the cockpit.

I also messed up in folding a couple of pieces and got them backwards (inside out?) The center console, in particular, was folded, painted, micro-kristal-kleared, and only when I got ready to apply the transparent paint did I realize the error. (I was trying to use the decal as a guide to colors and realized there wasn't any orientation where the decal was going to fit!) And when I unfolded / refolded that I ended up with it in 3 pieces. These are the kind of rookie errors that I guess I should expect doing photoetch for the first time. But everything eventually glued back up and I'm happy with the result.

IMG_4895.jpg
IMG_4899.jpg
IMG_4900.jpg
IMG_4901.jpg
IMG_4902.jpg
IMG_4903.jpg
IMG_4905.jpg
IMG_4909.jpg
IMG_3649.jpg
myawn
#20 Posted : 04 September 2015 17:44:19

I haven't been able to figure out how to post pictures in such a way that I can add a sentence or so to each one specific to what it's showing -- I just get them all run together in one big block. Is there a secret I'm missing?