Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Deagostini and it's history Options
ALW
#1 Posted : 14 August 2015 11:48:35

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hello all

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'll try anyway!

I'm interested in the history of how Deagostini started and
staff, those on the forum etc-purely as a matter of interest.

Would be nice to know who's who! I've seen a few snippets but nothing
that I would call substantial.

Any info would be great!

Thanks and regards

Alan

greyhawk
#2 Posted : 14 August 2015 14:01:45

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Huh, interesting topic.

From what I have been able to gather together, De Agostini started our as a publisher of maps over a hundred years ago.

From that they have somehow grown into a strangely invisible but hugely influential media conglomerate, with diverse ventures into finance & insurance (Generali), Spains first private ans second largest TV channel, TV productions (Totally Spies!, Wife Swap, Fort Boyard), lottery services and so on and so on. Ever played a slot machine? More likely than not that's Deagostini software inside. Sports betting? Deagostini.

The what when and how they went from cartographic publisher to "We rule major parts of the world in secret" would be very interesting indeed.
Nemesis
#3 Posted : 14 August 2015 16:09:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Oooooo interesting topic, and Greyhawk, your little snippet has whetted my appetite!!!!BigGrin BigGrin
Tomick
#4 Posted : 28 January 2016 09:25:22

Groups:

The parent company De Agostini S.p.A was founded by the geographer Giovanni De Agostini in Italy in 1901.

De Agostini S.p.A. is a holding that coordinates the strategic operating companies - De Agostini Editore, De Agostini Communications, IGT and DeA Capital - and makes financial investments, among which the main investment is a minority stake in Assicurazioni Generali.

De Agostini Editore S.p.A. is the sub-holding company active in the publishing sector in 33 countries with publications in 13 languages and organised into areas by product: De Agostini Publishing, De Agostini Libri, Editions Atlas France/Suisse, Digital De Agostini.

The first De Agostini partwork appeared in 1959.

De Agostini UK Ltd is based in London and is one of 26 worldwide offices that are part of the De Agostini Publishing Group with its head office in Milan. De Agostini UK is the leading partwork publisher in the United Kingdom, which publishes weekly retail and monthly subscription titles for the UK market.
http://www.deagostini.co.../deapassion/online/home

ModelSpace came into being in 2009 and is a sub-division of De Agostini UK Ltd. In addition to the United Kingdom, the company publishes its monthly subscription and full kit titles in the USA, Germany, China, Australia, Spain, New Zealand, South Africa, Belguim, Singapore, Netherlands, Italy and Malta. ModelSpace is one of the leading and most trusted worldwide official scale modelling retailers with over 30 collections available across 13 countries & in 5 languages.
http://www.model-space.com/gb/

ModelSpace USA is the new kid on the block since 2013 and is a division of De Agostini Publishing USA inc.
http://www.model-space.com/us/

The De Agostini Publishing Group, employs over 2,000 staff and publishes in 33 countries with 26 local offices.

De Agostini Communications is the media and communication sector sub-holding comprising the Group's interests in content production, broadcasting and distribution of content for television, new media and cinema. Zodiak Media is among the most innovative and creative companies in the world in the production and distribution of high-quality content for television and new media. Atresmedis, the Spanish radio and television group, held in partnership with Spanish Planeta Corporation and listed on the Madrid Stock Exchange, is a co-leader in the Spanish television market. It operates in the following sectors: Atresmedia Televison, Atresmedia Radio, Atresmedia Digital, Atresmedia Publicidad and Atresmedia Cine.
ModelMania
#5 Posted : 28 January 2016 11:25:47

Groups:

Very interesting Tom and especially interesting to know that it all began well over a hundred years ago?! Blink Blink

Also amazing to find that the first partwork was published way back in 1959, I wouldn't have guessed that partworks were around back then?

Coincidentally, my parents published me in the same year - but as a full kit!! Laugh BigGrin

Kev Smile
greyhawk
#6 Posted : 28 January 2016 12:15:47

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

ModelMania wrote:

Also amazing to find that the first partwork was published way back in 1959, I wouldn't have guessed that partworks were around back then?

It was a different kind of partwork than what we understand partworks to be here.

It was a multi-volume geographical encyclopedia called "Il Milione" you would subscribe to and receive a new volume every few months.

A lot of multi-volume Encyclopedias were published this way back then, most prominently the Britannica.

davetwin
#7 Posted : 28 January 2016 14:26:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Really interesting reading, thanks for sharing Cool