Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages 123>»
ORRERY by Eaglemoss Options
GilShapley
#1 Posted : 22 August 2015 14:22:52

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Been seeing the TV add for this build for a while now

I like to build something different and so this caught my eye

Have got the first issue from my local newsagent (99p) to check out the quality.

If the weight of the base plate is any indication then the final build should be substantial.

Before I take a punt I was wondering if anyone else on this forum has looked at/started this build

Confused BigGrin Confused Confused BigGrin Confused BigGrin
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
WildRover
#2 Posted : 22 August 2015 15:44:42

Yep, did the orrery when it was originally launched, about 2006/7 if i remember rightly. It is a beautiful ornamental piece, and weighs a ton! BigGrin You wont be disappointed with it, I just hope the cloud pattern on neptune is the right way round this time, lol. Get some black boot polish, if you can, and rub it into the brass cutouts, as it brings the detail out so much more on the engravings - Ill pop a pic or two of mine up later on.
Completed: Earth, Moon, Sun Orbiter
Build a Model Solar System

Under Constuction: HMB Endeavour
HMS Victory
Mitsubishi Zero
Tiger Tank
D51

GilShapley
#3 Posted : 22 August 2015 15:58:25

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks for that

Look forward to the piccys

Well that looks like my net project is sorted

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
Tomick
#4 Posted : 23 August 2015 14:02:06

Groups:

Be careful not to over polish the brass elements as most of them are brass plated, which could show the silver base metal if over polished, though I seem to recall from its last outing that some of the brass elements have a clear coat to prevent tarnish.

Look forward to seeing how you get on Cool
jonny7england
#5 Posted : 23 August 2015 15:54:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I saw the advert on TV several times too and believe me, I was sorely tempted to take it on as I love anything to do the planets and our solar system but, sadly, I doubt that I would ever complete such a project. I would certainly love to see somebody on this forum take it on and make a build diary. it would be fantastic!!
Love Drool ThumpUp
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
darbyvet
#6 Posted : 23 August 2015 16:50:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Wow that looks cool.Shame eaglemoss is not in USA

My other hobby is astrophotography and I have imaged Jupiter, Saturn and MArs.I can tell you the teeny telescope they are offering wont give you good views of the planets.WAAAY too small

Carl
Nemesis
#7 Posted : 23 August 2015 17:24:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I have signed up for this, a prezzie for the missus as she loves the planets and has always wanted one!!BigGrin BigGrin
ModelMania
#8 Posted : 23 August 2015 17:39:56

Groups:

Nemesis wrote:
..... she loves the planets and has always wanted one!!BigGrin BigGrin

Should have just bought her a 'Mars' bar or a 'Milky Way' Daran - would have been a lot cheaper!! Laugh LOL Flapper BigGrin

Kev BigGrin

Plymouth57
#9 Posted : 23 August 2015 21:11:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I built this one the first time it came out and as others have said, it's a real beauty (and heavy!) when complete. That was a good tip from Mr T about the boot polish, I never thought of that and inlaid my engraved plates with matt black enamel paint, applied as carefully as I could and then rubbed away any excess once dry with loads of cotton buds, it really does make the plates look classier!Cool
I also hand painted the Earth and Mars to recreate the actual views from space, was tempted to repaint Jupiter but made do with just accentuating the Great Red Spot!Blushing (well' I didn't have a working airbrush back then!)Blink
I can recommend this one to all, but be careful when tightening up the tiny grub screws, they're very easy to strip the threads off!

PS I also bought this first issue too! The base plate might come in handy as a fantasy figure base!BigGrin (try getting one like that for 99p!)

Best of luck to all it's builders!

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
GilShapley
#10 Posted : 24 August 2015 11:51:33

The first issue contains Base Plate, Zodiac Calibration Ring and Feet so no actual construction required the time. Have now subscribed and will have to wait for the first monthly delivery. This build will be over a 12 month period and I will post update as and when.

I have weighed the base plate which comes in at 350 grams (12 ounces in old money)
so the overall weight should be substantial

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
GilShapley attached the following image(s):
SS1.jpg
SS2.jpg
ModelMania
#11 Posted : 24 August 2015 12:01:45

Groups:

Looks an interesting build and quite attractive as a display piece, though the fact that it is produced by Eaglemoss would have me concerned as their recent reputation for poor customer services and erratic delivery schedules is quite disuasive? I recall there being quite a few problems with both their 'James Bond 007' Aston Martin DB5 and the more recent Nissan GTR, where some subscribing members on here had to wait months for deliveries and there was also a few problems with parts being unavailable or mismatched paint finishes on various body panels? Though I think the delivery problems were all sorted eventually but it seemed to take a long time?

Not to say the same problems will occur here, and I'm not out to put anybody off or spoil their fun, but I would be wary to say the least? Just my opinion.

Kev
stevie_o
#12 Posted : 24 August 2015 19:43:48

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Plymouth57
#13 Posted : 24 August 2015 20:49:07

Hi Gil

I finally managed to get my Orrery balanced on the kitchen scales and the completed kit comes out at a whacking 3.75 kilos or a touch under 8lb 4.5oz!Blink
(and not the easiest thing to pick up and carry around either!)BigGrin

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
GilShapley
#14 Posted : 24 August 2015 21:16:05

Thanks for that info

Let me know if you need any "Deep Heat" for the muscle strain.

May need to consider reinforcing the bench.

Seriously though, sounds like a good solid piece of kit when complete

Once again thanks for the info

Gil

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
michu
#15 Posted : 26 August 2015 15:08:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I made the brave move to subscribe to this one for my kids. Today I got the confirmation email that contains the payment schedule starting with Issue 4 and a sentence "Please note the first magazine you receive could be the latest issue that is available".

Any idea what I should make of this? Are Eaglemoss so shameless to subscribe me to an incomplete subscription? I contacted their customer service, but from what I have heard, they might not answer before the first payment is taken from my account on 1st of September.

Thanks for any advice.
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

Happy building :-)

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
Nemesis
#16 Posted : 26 August 2015 16:59:35

I got my email through and says from issue 1, plus I get the telescope and stuff!!BigGrin BigGrin
michu
#17 Posted : 26 August 2015 18:19:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

OK, called them and apparently... someone forgot to add issues 1-3 to my subscription. Had to back-order them. I hope it won't end in a typical Eaglemess.
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

Happy building :-)

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
Nemesis
#18 Posted : 26 August 2015 18:39:39

Never had dealings with Eaglemoss before. Hachette no problems, Deag no problems so hopefully a 3 out of 3!!!BigGrin BigGrin
GilShapley
#19 Posted : 26 August 2015 20:03:48

Good news and bad on this thread

I will reserve judgement. My philosophy is that anyone can make a mistake, where you stand or fall is in what you do to correct it

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

darbyvet
#20 Posted : 26 August 2015 20:35:23

Its a shame this is not available in USA.I would build it

here are some pictures I took of the real planets
darbyvet attached the following image(s):
jupitervin.jpg
marsvin.jpg
sat5-19-2014.jpg