Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages <1234>»
ORRERY by Eaglemoss Options
Nemesis
#21 Posted : 26 August 2015 20:37:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Now they are some cracking pictures darbyvet!!BigGrin BigGrin
ModelMania
#22 Posted : 27 August 2015 18:42:52

Groups:

Fantastic photos Darbyvet, astrophotography looks like a seriously fun hobby to me. What size telescope did you use to take those and was it a 'Reflector' or 'Refractor' type? I'd guess it was a Reflector?

Very cool, thanks for sharing them with us!! Cool Drool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
darbyvet
#23 Posted : 27 August 2015 21:39:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks Guys,
Kev astrophotography is fun, but very frustrating and very expensive.These pics were taken with an 11 inch Celestron SCT telescope (THis is a kind of reflector)and a dedicated imaging camera.The equipment costs are about $10,000 to get this kind of detail and it has taken me 4 years to learn the ins and outs of acquiring and processing images.If you want to see the most amazing images taken by an amateur search for Damian Peach.he has some absolutely stunning images

Back to modeling I hope someone is going to do a build diary of the orrery.I would love to see how it goes together.Over here it costs about $700 to get something similar prebuilt.

GilShapley
#24 Posted : 27 August 2015 22:49:15

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Carl

Watch this space. As I have already said I have subscribed to this issue and will be posting pictures as and when. Just hope there are no transfers to apply as with the Jupiter build

Gil
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
darbyvet
#25 Posted : 27 August 2015 23:17:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

GilShapley wrote:
Hi Carl

Watch this space. As I have already said I have subscribed to this issue and will be posting pictures as and when. Just hope there are no transfers to apply as with the Jupiter build

Gil

LOL

I agree. I never want to deal with those darn transfers again.I have spent 3 hours outside in the cold trying to take pictures of Jupiter that have been less frustrating than applying those OCCRE decals.

I am looking forward to seeing this build
Plymouth57
#26 Posted : 27 August 2015 23:23:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

You're OK there Gil, no transfers on this one, it's all allen keys and diddy pozidrive screwdrivers from here on!BigGrin
I would recommend inlaying the two inscribed round plates though,since I bought the 1st issue again I've got a plain one and the painted one, I'll try and take a pic of them to compare so you can see the difference it makes.Cool

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
GilShapley
#27 Posted : 28 August 2015 08:46:20

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great minds think alike. I have invested another 99p in a second of the first issues and will be trying Mr T,s suggestion of applying black boot polish to the inlays on one of them. ( Will have to get some first )

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
WildRover
#28 Posted : 28 August 2015 10:33:53

I completely forgot to put the images up the other day! Blushing

This is directly off the shelf they are on and as you can see, they are a bloody dust magnet!, LOL

Both plates have been done with black boot polish, basically pressed in with a cloth, then wiped over with a clean one to remove excess

Completed: Earth, Moon, Sun Orbiter
Build a Model Solar System

Under Constuction: HMB Endeavour
HMS Victory
Mitsubishi Zero
Tiger Tank
D51

WildRover
#29 Posted : 28 August 2015 10:42:12

And a youtube video showing it operating

video
Completed: Earth, Moon, Sun Orbiter
Build a Model Solar System

Under Constuction: HMB Endeavour
HMS Victory
Mitsubishi Zero
Tiger Tank
D51

GilShapley
#30 Posted : 28 August 2015 20:54:39

Decided to have a go at the "Boot Polish" on the base plate to enhance the engraving (Mr T's Suggestion)

Left Hand with Boot Polish Right Hand out of the box

Pictures attached
GilShapley attached the following image(s):
Baseplate.jpg
Plymouth57
#31 Posted : 28 August 2015 21:41:28

Looks good Gil, and took a lot less time than mine! I did my two disks with matt black enamel, rubbing away the excess with cotton buds when dry. It was so time consuming I did it in small sections at a time, probably a week for each plate!Crying
Here's the comparison, not really fair though as the untouched one is still in it's plastic envelope!
You'll really enjoy putting this together, I know I did!Cool

Robin
Plymouth57 attached the following image(s):
Orrery Photos.JPG
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
GilShapley
#32 Posted : 05 September 2015 18:09:00

Issue 2 and 3 arrived today

It seems I have to be patient and collect all of the Stage 1 part of the build before I can start

More to follow

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

SS3.jpg
GilShapley
#33 Posted : 19 September 2015 13:11:43

Next parts have arrived and these include build instructions so more pictures will follow shortly

SS5.jpg
SS4.jpg
GilShapley
#34 Posted : 23 September 2015 22:37:01

Stage one of the build starts with the construction of the column support/drive shaft
As this build progresses more gears and planets will be added to this column
1) The sun is screwed onto the threaded end of the drive shaft
2) Then slide the 55 tooth driving gear so that it fits snugly against the sun
3) The planet arm that holds Mercury slots into this gear (It is important that the arm is inserted correctly. This is helped by the fact that the arm has a small hold into which the planet is inserted, the other end is solid) the gears for this build are of varying sizes identified by the number of teeth on the drive. It would have been useful if the gears had some sort of marking as to how many teeth are on the drive
4) The next step is to construct the small gear set that drives the planet Venus around the solar system. The instructions are clear enough just be careful that the parts are orientated as shown. There are two gears for this part of the construct 65 and 19 so easy to identify. Do not over tighten the self-tappers used in this part of the construct, make sure the gears still rotate freely
5) The gear arm is attached to the central column. Insert the top hat bush into the top of the unit and push the unit up the column until it reaches the driving gear already installed. The 65 tooth gear should be on top and this meshes with the gear already installed.

So far So good
SS6.jpg
SS7.jpg
GilShapley
#35 Posted : 23 September 2015 22:43:03

Some more pictures
SS8.jpg
SS9.jpg
Nemesis
#36 Posted : 23 September 2015 22:46:59

Looks fantastic, just received our second delivery.BigGrin
GilShapley
#37 Posted : 23 September 2015 22:58:55

Have completed stage 2 of Phase 1 and will be posting pictures shortly

Still waiting for my second delivery which hopefully will not take too long

Happy with the quality of this kit so far. I find it a good plan to read twice and construct once if you know what I mean

GilShapley
#38 Posted : 25 September 2015 17:24:42

So far So good
1) The next step is to construct the Venus gear set. The parts required are shown in the attached picture. The two gears are 41 and 39 teeth so make sure you get them right or else they will not mesh with the gears already installed. The gears are held in place with the supplied self-tapping screws.
2) When complete remove the base plate and slide the assembled gear set (placing a washer on first) move it up to the parts already in situ ensuring the gears mesh. Lock in place with the supplied grub screw.
3) The Venus planet arm is attached next again locked in place with the supplied grub screw.
4) The Moon gear is next. This is attached to the large engraved gear once you have assembled the parts. I have used Mr T’s idea of enhancing the engraving on this gear with black polish the same as I did on the base. The larger of the gears is on top, both gears are attached with self-tappers to the moon arm (do not over tighten these screws as the two gear wheels need to rotate freely) which is then attached to the underside of the large engraved gear. Once assembled place the washer on the central column and slide the assembly up the shaft and fix in place with the supplied grub screw. The 31 tooth gear should mesh with that already in place on the shaft.
That’s it so far now waiting for the next delivery. You can check all is OK so far by rotating the sun. The planets Venus and Mars should move around the sun

SS10.jpg
SS11.jpg
SS13.jpg
SS14.jpg
SS15.jpg
SS16.jpg
davetwin
#39 Posted : 25 September 2015 19:35:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This is looking really cool ThumpUp
arpurchase
#40 Posted : 25 September 2015 20:09:47

BigGrin looking goodCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .