Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages «<23456>»
ORRERY by Eaglemoss Options
GilShapley
#61 Posted : 14 December 2015 10:21:46

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Advised by CS that issue 20 is part of the next delivery so I will have to wait 4 weeks before I can complete the next phase of the build.

Seems odd as I would have expected to receive all the necessary components to complete a phase of the build in the same delivery

Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused

MMMmmmmm I could always start my Redbull RB7 build. At present the complete kit is sat in a large box in the corner.
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
Josefk
#62 Posted : 20 December 2015 01:43:13

Next set starts shipping 28 Dec I was told, assuming stock arrives.
GilShapley
#63 Posted : 12 January 2016 11:03:36

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Issues 20-23 arrived today. Issue 20 is required to complete the installation of Ceres. Issues 21 - 23 need to be stored until the next delivery of parts before I can add Saturn to the display.

I am happy with the quality of the components and the build instructions are clear but it is one of those rush and wait builds. Still gives me time to complete the Arab Dhow and I have started on my RB7 build, up to issue 40 out of 100. No waiting here as I purchased the complete kit

Pictures attached
GilShapley attached the following image(s):
SS25.jpg
SS26.jpg
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
darbyvet
#64 Posted : 12 January 2016 16:31:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking great Gil.Here is a picture a took of Saturn in 2014
darbyvet attached the following image(s):
sat5-19-2014derot.jpg
jono
#65 Posted : 12 January 2016 20:30:21

It is possible to partially build the next stage - I have used rubber washer to hold up the section that needs support.

The orrery rotates as normal, the only piece I have left over is a 42 piece gear, the previous month I had the 45 tooth gear left over which is now part of the Ceres gear section, which was installed early December

It just helps to keep the packets of parts down.

I have also run into a few problems.

1) The Sun and the long main drive shaft did not screw in properly, threads were damaged - now glued in place.

2) One of the grub screws in the 2 large cog sandwich part of Ceres did not screw in - glued the sandwich together.

3) The planets are all wobbly and don't sit straight - so glued in place. I have the extra planet set but these are quite heavy so will fit them last to ensure all the arms are straight.

It all rotates freely.

chameleon
#66 Posted : 24 January 2016 15:49:05

I'm progressing well with my build but I have encountered a couple of problems. The first gears, just below the sun don't seem to mesh very well. The one on the arm for the reduction gear was very loose and wobbly ( I did get my long and short screws the right way round) so I glued it onto the spindle. I can get several rotations OK but it then seems to bind and gets very stiff. It seems to free up again after about 1/4 turn or so.
The second problem is the gears for Venus. There's the 41 above the 39 tooth gear. This was very stiff and would not turn properly, again I would get a few turns then it would bind. I got replacements for these and swapped the 41 tooth for the spare 39 which freed things up very well though it is a little too loose sometimes and slips a tooth occasionally.
All subsequent gear stacks seem to run fine, including the problematic earth gear but I am still having problems with the initial sun gear. I don't know how powerful the motor is or whether it will be able to handle the sticky bits or not.
Here's hoping.
GilShapley
#67 Posted : 06 March 2016 16:54:32

Now up to issue 31 although I am missing isssue 28 from my last delivery. Another phone call to CS who have ordered a copy for me but this will take up to 4 weeks. Oddly the parts for the issue where included with my package ??????!!!!! so I have not been delayed in the next stage of construction, but it will be nice to have the full set of magazines

Construction of the Saturn gearing and arm are as before. Just have to be careful to install the completed gears and support arm the right way up. As always RTQ.
Have had to file down some of the plastic parts (70 and 71) as the fit seemed too loose which allowed the gears to move too much.

I have yet to glue any of the planets in place as I like to remove them at each stage of the construction to avoid any damage. This kit is getting top heavy now and I was glad to see that Eaglemoss have provided replacement feet for the base to provide additional support

Pictures attached

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
SS27.jpg
SS28.jpg
darbyvet
#68 Posted : 06 March 2016 17:14:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

COming along nicely GIl

Carl

Plymouth57
#69 Posted : 06 March 2016 20:18:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Gil!

Coming along nicely now. The motor is surprisingly strong for its size, I found a drop of thin oil helped a lot on any sticky sections and the motor coped fine. The biggest problem I encountered was stripping threads on some grub screws during assembly but fortunately managed to extricate the damaged ones and replaced with spares.
By the time you come to Eris on the longest arm you'll find the sheer weight of the brass arm itself tends to droop it down a bit. I've had to tighten up that arm a couple of times. My Eris is 'Lost in Space' at the moment - She vanished about 18 months ago then reappeared just before Christmas. I really wish I'd glued her in then 'cos she's gone again!Blushing
Keep them coming!

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
birdaj2
#70 Posted : 06 March 2016 21:41:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Gil

That does indeed look very nice indeed.

Will make a beautiful display piece when complete.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
jase
#71 Posted : 06 March 2016 23:19:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

It certainly looks the part, enjoying the build

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
chameleon
#72 Posted : 08 March 2016 12:31:44

I'm the same. Got as far as Saturn complete so far. I did wonder about the longer arms as they don't go very far I to the ring for the grub screw to grip. Might drill a little deeper. The planets are all very loose in their mounts. Not glueing them in tho as I have a set of the semi precious stone planets which look lovely. Glad to hear the motor sounds strong enough to get through my stiff bits. Hopefully they will wear in in time.
I have been very careful with grub screws, particularly the one holding the main column in as it goes in and out so often. I'm enjoying the build and looking forward to having it slowly rotating in the corner.
GilShapley
#73 Posted : 08 March 2016 21:54:08

Thanks for the kind words

This is a rush and wait type of build in so far as when the parts arrive it is mainly construction of the parts supplied with little or no modification/manufacture required. must now wait for 4 weeks for the next delivery.

Time to get on with my Arab Dhow

Gandale
#74 Posted : 09 March 2016 00:01:29

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking great Gil, a really interesting build you're producing.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
ian smith
#75 Posted : 29 March 2016 21:47:23

Hi Gil.
Looking Good. when complete all you will need is a few ships and a sextant.
Keep the pictures coming.
Ian Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
GilShapley
#76 Posted : 01 April 2016 15:45:54

The next phase of this build is now complete. The planet Uranus (Please keep the jokes to yourselves) has now been added to my Solar System only Neptune Pluto and Eris to go.

At the rate the parts arrive that will be about another three months. Seems to be a Planet/Dwarf Planet each month.

The Ruler in the picture is to give some ides of the size of this model and it is getting heavy.

Pictures attached

SS29.jpg
SS30.jpg
birdaj2
#77 Posted : 01 April 2016 18:11:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very nice indeed.

I was so tempted by this one but as always there are too many wants and not enough pennies to cover all.

Am i correct that toward the end of the build you get some longer feet (sort of outriggers) to keep it all standing safe?
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
delboy271155
#78 Posted : 01 April 2016 19:24:04

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Gil,BigGrin

Looking real good and not far to go now.Cool

Do they supply a case/cover for this, as I can imagine it being a bit of a pig to keep clean and shiny.

Good luck with the rest of your build.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Plymouth57
#79 Posted : 01 April 2016 20:59:16

Looking great there Gil, really taking shape now but if you think it's getting heavy now - wait till the base goes on!!BigGrin BigGrin

Derek and Tony, you do indeed get a set of very elegant legs for the base as shown below (hope you don't mind Gill)! There isn't any dust cover provided (it would need to be huge!) but you do get a couple of dusting brushes in the tool set, similar to the things photographers use on their lenses. As for keeping it shiny, mine was the first edition from a few years ago and the brass is just as shiny today as when it went together, it comes with a really good lacquer finish.
Unfortunately as you can see, Eris never showed up again! I'll be getting a map pin soon and painting it up as a replacement!Crying

Great job Gil!Cool

Robin.
Plymouth57 attached the following image(s):
Orrery base pic.JPG
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
GilShapley
#80 Posted : 02 April 2016 09:56:58

Many thanks for the positive feedback

My intention is to make a cover to fit over the Orrery with all the planets/dwarf planets aligned. That should give me the smallest shape to cover. The cover will be removable so that I will be able to show the solar system in motion (This will also keep the dust off)

I have some nice pieces of Oak in my garage and once my daughter have reclaimed all her boxes, she moved house recently and my garage is a "temporary" store, I will start on the cover.