Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages «<567
ORRERY by Eaglemoss Options
delboy271155
#121 Posted : 20 August 2016 23:53:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Gil,

So happy you got all the parts for this one in the end, I`d have hated to have missed the end result.

Look forward to seeing the finished Orrery in all it`s glory.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

GilShapley
#122 Posted : 22 August 2016 15:54:22

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Well finally I have all the components in place. Just have some tweaking to do. Some of the planet support arms need minor adjustments/tightening up as they are not level.This does not inhibit the working but looks a bit untidy.

The planets are not in their correct orientaion re the other planets but I still have to work out how to do this ( My next job) Once plugged in the planets move as they should. The only slight mod I had to make was the slot for the on/off switch, it was a bit tight and the switch would not move freely. Easily corrected with the application of some delicate filling with my dremil. I knew that box of attachments would come in useful one day.

I was not sure that all the planets where moving when I first switched on, but you have to bear in mind that the distances involved are astronomical and the outer planets/dwarf planets have a lot further to travel.

Mercury takes 88 days to orbit the sun
Venus takes 224.7
Earth takes 365.2
Mars takes 687
Jupiter takes 4332
Saturn takes 10760
Uranus takes 30700
Neptune takes 60200
Pluto takes 90600

Not all the planets are in this list as it does not include the Dwarf Planets apart from Pluto which has only recently been downgraded to a Dwarf Planet.

There is a follow on build the Orrery, a Tellurion which is a model on the earth moon and sun only. This would involve another 52 issues 53-104. Not for me at this time

I will attempt a video but am not sure if I will be able to upload it to this site. What are the file size limitations?

Meanwhile picture attached.

The build has been interesting, I am more than happy with the quality of the parts, but the customer service and delivery issues towards the end where disappointing.

I am amazed at the number of views this build has attracted and as always appreciate the support and positive feedback from the forum members.

Need to complete my RB7 build next, if I can get it started then it time for something completely different. I have in my stash a complete set for the Lancaster Bomber and I am looking forward to that build.

GilShapley attached the following image(s):
SS37.jpg
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
Spal
#123 Posted : 22 August 2016 16:48:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice work Gil, looks good.

Al
birdaj2
#124 Posted : 22 August 2016 17:08:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Gil

Looks a brilliant build so a very well done for sticking with it and getting it completed.

Not seen the follow on they are doing but sounds interesting although that number of additional issues does sound a lot.

Hope your Lancaster build goes well. It will keep you busy as its such a complex set of parts. Looking forward to seeing your start on that one.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
delboy271155
#125 Posted : 22 August 2016 17:45:39

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Well done.

A very nice end result considering some of the hassle you had with parts.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

darbyvet
#126 Posted : 22 August 2016 18:40:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

looks great Gil.Looking forward to your next build

Carl

davetwin
#127 Posted : 22 August 2016 22:54:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great to see this finally finished. It looks stunning!

With regards to video you might be better off uploading the video to YouTube and posting a link
Nemesis
#128 Posted : 23 August 2016 07:22:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks fantastic, glad to see you finished the build. We have all our parts now, just started getting the bonus parts for the sun, earth and moon.
mrjaffa
#129 Posted : 29 September 2016 16:40:12

Hey guys.

I was so glad that I stumbled across this forum and this thread.

I completed my orrery recently and wish I'd had you guys to chat with whilst making it.

Just a quick one first regarding Eaglemoss. I have found that they can take some time to reply to emails, I did call them twice and was through to someone straight away and resolved my issues. I have had a few pieces replaced, no questions asked. I even received my gemstones planets and one of Saturns moons had snapped off and they just replaced them all. So now I have two sets of gemstones planets, minus a moon.

As for the orrery, I do love it and enjoyed building it. It certainly seems like a good build and good quality.

I'll include some pics and a link to a couple of videos for anyone interested.

My bugs with it:

The planets arms, particularly the longer ones, do droop a little. I've made sure they're tightened of course. I did read someone's suggestions about sanding the grub screws down, so may try that. Other than that, glue them? Not ideal though if I ever want to take it down.

Secondly, the planets do not fit very well at all into the planet arms. This is really disappointing as surely just a slightly longer pin and bigger hole would have solved this. Again, I could glue them. They really do wobble quite a bit and the slightest touch and they could fall off.

And lastly, my biggest gripe with it and I'm hoping others could post a video of theirs working. It's the noise. My motor is extremely noisey. I even emailed them to say it was faulty, they did send another and it's exactly the same. I tried it whilst it's not compact in the unit to check it wasn't in wrong, but it's just as loud. I simply can't leave it turned on.

And I understand of course Pluto and the more distant planetary bodies take a hell of a long time to orbit, but even when turned right up, they barely move. Is this the same for everyone else? And when I turn it right down, sometimes it keeps slowly spinning, sometimes it just stops. Same for others?

I'll add the pictures and video shortly.
GilShapley
#130 Posted : 29 September 2016 17:13:09

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Glad to see you have been able to complete the Orrery. I did eventually get there after some problems with delivery of the final parts. Eaglemoss gets a low score from me for their customer service

I to have issues with the planets as they do seem to be loose, I think I will end up gluing them in place.

As for the longer arms I have yet to review/resolve the "drooping"

Have had to put modelling on hold for a while as "we" are decluttering prior to putting our property on the market.

The motor on my model is not at all loud. it does get a bit louder when I turn it up to full speed but not what I would call excessive. Did order a second motor as a spare in case the first fails as I have no doubt spares will be very scarce once Eaglemoss finish this particular series
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
Plymouth57
#131 Posted : 29 September 2016 21:25:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Gil and MrJaffa!

I think everybody has had the 'droopy arms' problem, mine was like that from the start (first edition of this kit) although it doesn't seem to affect the rotation of the orrery. It's mainly an aesthetic point and the only way I think it can be altered is to actually add a slight bend in the inner end of the arm where it comes out of the gear to compensate. (I haven't done this to mine yet!)Blink
Tightening the grub screws won't do a thing as its the actual weight of the thin arm and planet which is causing the droop.
MrJaffa, have you tried running the motor completely away from the drive gears? (just attached by the electrical wires) Mine is really quiet even after a few years, I'm just wondering if your gears have been over tightened somewhere which is causing the motor to labour under the strain?
As for Pluto (which IS a PLANET no matter what the IAA says!)- even under full speed it will take about half an hour if not longer for it to complete one orbit! (And I would glue the planets into their arms - I didn't and poor Eris has gone awol. If possible though, keep the Jupiter moons movable - they can just touch Saturn's ring from time to time)Crying

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
mrjaffa
#132 Posted : 29 September 2016 22:48:49

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll let you try and bend the arm first. Let me know how that goes ;-)

I was wondering if there's a way to slightly stuff the hole the arm goes into with something. Whether that would make a difference I'm not sure.

I have in fact tried the motor out of the casing and it still seems noisey, including the spare I received.

Here's a link to the YouTube vid (I don't know why it's sideways):

https://youtu.be/gsBCtBXw27U

And here's one to show how wobbly things are:

https://youtu.be/-GCtBaD9O-w

Now is there a way to attach some pictures on my iPad from my pics? Hmmmmmmm. Probably not needed with the videos anyway.

:-)
Bean24
#133 Posted : 06 February 2020 06:50:57

Hi all đŸ˜€

I’m new to this forum and would like some help please.

My solar planet orrery, after many years of running, has slowed to a crawl and will hardly turn even at top speed on the controller under the base.

After an inspection of the motor it appears it is on its way out. I found some identification numbers on the DC motor. 2430RE-046-6.0

Would anyone know where I could purchase a new replacement motor from that matches please. I have tried my local electronics store but they don’t have anything with 6v capacity. After looking online at the prices EBay sellers want for the original item that came with the magazine, I thought there must be a cheaper alternative motor that suits.

I’m not very clued up with matching the motor to the speed controller but I’m very capable of doing the replacement work to set a new DC motor into the gearbox.

Thank you for your time and help
darbyvet
#134 Posted : 06 February 2020 15:47:31

Maybe try digikey.com .They usually have a very wide range of motors.You may need a manufacturer to find the exact model though.

Carl
Plymouth57
#135 Posted : 06 February 2020 21:10:24

Hi Bean 24!

If you can more easily find a 12v motor that fits, just use a new 12v adapter to go with it and I would think you should be fine, the speed controller should compensate for any differences.
I must plug mine in and check it one of these days!Blushing

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Bean24
#136 Posted : 08 February 2020 05:46:56

Thank you for the reply and help gentlemen. I have sent some emails to motor suppliers and if it comes down to it I will go with the 12v option. I have everything here to complete the surgery but trying to avoid it as I have both the planet orrery and the earth moon model which will eventually need a new motor too. Hoping to find an option where I can buy multiple motors for back ups.
Plymouth57
#137 Posted : 08 February 2020 22:07:24

Hi again Bean.

I just had a thought on this, have you tried the motor disconnected from the base so it can just spin the shaft? It could (possibly) be the gears meshing too tightly to allow the motor to turn at the right speed but I'd be more worried that it could be the speed controller itself, its basically a variable resistor like a volume control in a hi-fi and they don't last forever. A worn track or even dirt inside could cause the motor problem even if the motor itself was fine.
It might be worth removing the motor and trying it off the gearing. If it still won't go at top speed try disconnecting the speed controller and applying the 6v directly to the motor to see if that would help.

Robin.
Bean24
#138 Posted : 09 February 2020 11:18:06

Thanks for the help Robin.

I have had the gearbox apart and spun the motor up without any load from the model and it’s 100% a failing motor. I would presume the brushes have little meat left on them.

Both my models are extremely free in their operation. I learnt early on when I first built them where they bind I have have added the smallest amount of dry lube into those areas. The solar system model spins really free compared to the chain driven earth, moon sun model. That also has the extra friction of the rotation counter.
Plymouth57
#139 Posted : 09 February 2020 17:36:48

That's great Bean (well, not great as in a dead motor but great that you know it IS the motor!)Blink
It would have been awful to replace it and then find out it wasn't at fault!
I know what you mean about the Earth/Sun model - I still have to sort out a couple of stripped thread grub screws on that one before mine works properly!
Best of luck!

Robin.