Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages 123>»
"Achtung - Panzer!" (Hachette Tiger I 1:16) 10 and a bit/140 Options
greyhawk
#1 Posted : 28 August 2015 01:06:52

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Got lucky on ebay again and shot myself an unbuilt Hachette Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger Ausführung E (or "Tiger I") in 1:16. This 140 issue mammoth of a partwork builds up into a giant late war version of Germanys first heavy tank.

Issue 1

The build starts predictably with the models center piece, the gun barrel of its main armament, the 8,8-cm-KwK 36 L/56, which arrives in 5 parts.

On step 3 of the building process I find out why the previous owner stopped building the tank with this issue. The two halves of the barrel are intended to fit together by slotting two pins into slots then hitting the thing with a rubber hammer until everything is flush. No, really, it's what the instructions say. Yes, they do.

Only the pins don't fit. They're way too long and the slots are much too shallow. From slight abrasions on the protective coating of the barrel it's obvious the previous owner DID try the rubber hammer thing unsuccessfully. Then got fed up and sold the whole collection on ebay. My win, his loss.

I spend an evening hand drilling out the slots and filing down the pins, until everything fits together. I said no to the hammer method and epoxied the whole thing together instead. Also nursed my forearms with ice packs, which was nice.

After sanding off mould lines and that weird protective coating off the parts, all of them are primed. A lot. And puttied, sanded and primed again. For two evenings until it's not apparent anymore the barrel once consisted of two halves.

Then all parts are screwed together which promptly prys apart the two halves again with the screw exerting pressure from the inside. So another two evenings are spent with priming and sanding again. Next time, don't trust the order in the instructions.

Pictured: this thing is BIG.

Finally we end this issue with base coating the barrel in dark yellow. I try airbrushing with Tamiya acrylics for the first time in my model building life and OH MY GOD, they are so so good. I mostly worked with Revell Aqua Color up till now and it's kinda ridiculous how much better the Tamiya colours are in regards to coverage, pigment distribution and general flow through the brush. Also cleans up much easier.

Pictured: I need an additional room to house this thing.

Also, the model comes with Zimmerit already moulded onto it. Which is very neat.

Next time: The turret roof, hatches and periscope.
Nemesis
#2 Posted : 28 August 2015 09:06:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice to see another Tiger underway, it is a monster of a kit. Tamiya paints are great through the airbrush, although on my Tiger I used the AK German late war paints, and be prepared to use a tanker load on this build!LOL The only advice I can offer is test fit and adjust and do it again and again before you paint as some of the turret sides are a lousy fit when you come to mount them. Will be following your build, as I really enjoyed building mine!BigGrin BigGrin
davetwin
#3 Posted : 28 August 2015 11:46:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great start Greyhawk

I also got lucky with one of these on eBay and got one for a fantastic price a while ago. It's currently sat in a box awaiting construction.

It will be a beast of a model when it's finished. I will be doing away with the screws on the barrel I expect and going the two part epoxy approach to stick it together I think.

I'm really looking forward to following your build on this one! Cool
greyhawk
#4 Posted : 28 August 2015 12:14:39

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nemesis wrote:
Nice to see another Tiger underway, it is a monster of a kit. Tamiya paints are great through the airbrush, although on my Tiger I used the AK German late war paints, and be prepared to use a tanker load on this build!LOL The only advice I can offer is test fit and adjust and do it again and again before you paint as some of the turret sides are a lousy fit when you come to mount them. Will be following your build, as I really enjoyed building mine!BigGrin BigGrin

It's your build that inspired me to do this one. I don't usually build military models. But this one is unique enough that it stuck in my mind.

I looked into sourcing the re-engineered RAL 7028, but I have a model shop carrying Tamiya about 500 yards away from my office, so I went that route instead. Didn't want to end up in a "Let me online order this single vial of paint I need, pay for postage and wait for days" style situation. The XF-60 is close enough in my book.

davetwin wrote:
Great start Greyhawk

It will be a beast of a model when it's finished. I will be doing away with the screws on the barrel I expect and going the two part epoxy approach to stick it together I think.

You're definitely better off with epoxying the barrel Laugh
Gandale
#5 Posted : 28 August 2015 17:12:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Some people are just born lucky and luck certainly fell on you in obtaining this one... Great kit and I'll enjoy following your build all the way through.....Cool Cool .. Good luck with the build.

Regards

Alan
Nemesis
#6 Posted : 28 August 2015 17:40:43

I went for a one piece Schumo barrel and muzzle brake, could not be bothered with the kit one, think I used it as a tent peg!!!LOL BigGrin
greyhawk
#7 Posted : 28 August 2015 18:21:04

Nemesis wrote:
I went for a one piece Schumo barrel and muzzle brake, could not be bothered with the kit one, think I used it as a tent peg!!!LOL BigGrin

Yeah, I got the impression that a lot of people were unhappy with the barrel and especially the muzzle brake. LOL

I'm kinda in luck in that as a rather new model builder I don't really care that much about historical accuracy yet and am just happy to build build build. I'm sure though I'll be counting rivets at some point soon enough. And will never get anything finished ever again. "It's not good enough yet". LOL
arpurchase
#8 Posted : 28 August 2015 20:30:50

BigGrin BigGrin Great looking model and will be watching your buildCool Cool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

ModelMania
#9 Posted : 28 August 2015 21:44:52

Groups:

Very nice start to the build Greyhawk and great to see another large scale military build on the forum, especially as it's a Tiger 1. Cool ThumpUp

I'll certainly be watching your progress on this one.

Kev Smile

greyhawk
#10 Posted : 02 September 2015 00:29:45

Issue 2

We get the turret roof and a sprue full of parts for the loaders hatch and periscope as well as the turret ventilator.

Unfortunately I forgot to take before pictures so the first picture is of the primed parts after sanding the turret roof.

There's an unholy amount of protuding ejection marks on the underside of the roof in largely inaccessible places, at some point I was forced to give up trying to remove all of them, as there was simply no way to get a good enough angle with the files. I expect the underside won't be too visible anyway, so this SHOULD be ok. We'll see.

After priming everything was base coated with XF60 Dark Yellow, except the underside of the root. It should be coated in light ivory (RAL 1015). The instructions recommended XF-14 Japanese Army Gray as a substitute.

This one turns out to be an interesting beast, as the colour looks entirely too dark under my so called "natural" lightbulbs, but looks perfectly fine under halogen or actual sunlight.

Left: "Natural" light / Right: Camera Flash but it looks the same in the sun.

All the plastic parts were superglued together / into their positions and the loaders hatch secured to the hinges with two tiny metal bolts.

There's some interplay between the edge of the hatch and the hinges which prevents the hatch from closing entirely, it stands open by about a millimeter or two. I'll have to take some material of the edge of both parts to allow the hatch to move more freely.

Next time: The gun breech and part of the turret walls
delboy271155
#11 Posted : 02 September 2015 02:52:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Greyhawk BigGrin

Looking good, nice steady start.Cool

Watching with interest as I have this waiting in my stash.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

ModelMania
#12 Posted : 02 September 2015 10:51:47

Groups:

Nice start Greyhawk, watching with great interest and well done on starting a diary for this build. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
arpurchase
#13 Posted : 02 September 2015 11:06:54

BigGrin Nicely done from what I have heard on reports for this build all the hatches will require some adjustment along with the fit of most of the parts so good luck with it. But it will build into a great model just look at Nems.
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

michael.rolph
#14 Posted : 02 September 2015 11:29:03

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great start.

Could we get a picture of the entire collection?
greyhawk
#15 Posted : 02 September 2015 12:16:48

The 140 issues are currently boxed up in the basement in the right order so I can just grab the next issue blindly, so I'm loathe to unboxing it again.

I can offer this picture from the auction which represents about half the issues I guess.

davetwin
#16 Posted : 02 September 2015 15:07:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good so far Greyhawk.

Mine arrived with all the magazines opened and filed in their respective folders and then just all the parts, still sealed, in a big box.

It would be quite easy for me to post a picture of the whole collection, with your permission of course, I can do it tomorrow Cool
greyhawk
#17 Posted : 02 September 2015 15:22:29

Nemesis
#18 Posted : 02 September 2015 15:24:31

I really enjoyed building mine and would happily build another one. Following this build!!BigGrin BigGrin
davetwin
#19 Posted : 02 September 2015 17:13:30

greyhawk wrote:
Sure, go right ahead, I do like my AARs to be a collaborative effort BigGrin

Here you go, feel free to use them as you wish, a 1/35 turret top thrown in for comparisson Cool

greyhawk
#20 Posted : 02 September 2015 22:46:20

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Nicely done from what I have heard on reports for this build all the hatches will require some adjustment along with the fit of most of the parts so good luck with it.

And boy will I need it. Just cut the gun breech from the sprue and let's just say I'm gonna need to go buy more putty. A lot more putty. Blink LOL

davetwin wrote:
pictures of the stash

so many parts, so much work Drool