3 Pages <123
Doc Tom's SotS Options
4niertsr
#41 Posted : 19 October 2015 23:47:42

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Update on SotS build. I received my second package and resumed my build
File Attachment(s):
prject pictures-8.png (709kb) downloaded 23 time(s).
prject pictures-9.png (375kb) downloaded 21 time(s).
prject pictures-10.png (538kb) downloaded 19 time(s).
prject pictures-12.png (377kb) downloaded 16 time(s).
prject pictures-13.png (347kb) downloaded 15 time(s).
prject pictures-14.png (510kb) downloaded 14 time(s).
prject pictures-15.png (477kb) downloaded 17 time(s).
prject pictures-16.png (362kb) downloaded 17 time(s).
prject pictures-17.png (430kb) downloaded 14 time(s).
prject pictures-21.png (277kb) downloaded 18 time(s).
prject pictures-24.png (294kb) downloaded 11 time(s).
prject pictures-25.png (291kb) downloaded 14 time(s).
4niertsr attached the following image(s):
prject pictures-19.png
prject pictures-18.jpg
prject pictures-20.png
Gandale
#42 Posted : 20 October 2015 00:08:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great looking work area you've created for yourself, looks very organised.

Think you're off to a great start and nice work on the launch...Cool Cool .. Looking at the first two rows of planks you've laid it is important you stagger all the joints as you fit each row of planks. Looks like you've got the joints at the same point on both rows. The staggered joints is what gives strength to the hull and it also helps give the hull the nice flowing lines she has. If you ensure your first row follows the curve of the deck then you will find when it comes to measuring and marking out the gun ports the task will be a lot easier. Cool Cool .. Hope this helps and look forward to your next update...

Regards

Alan
magpie1832
#43 Posted : 20 October 2015 00:30:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Your doing a great job on your SOTS. Thinkinking of getting this one aswell.
Chris.
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

4niertsr
#44 Posted : 20 October 2015 00:50:22

Thank you that is why I stopped with only the first 2 rows I thought I had it wrong.
Martyn Ingram
#45 Posted : 20 October 2015 08:22:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Very nice start Tom Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
ian smith
#46 Posted : 26 October 2015 13:26:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great start to your sots. Look forward to seeing more of your build. IanBigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
arpurchase
#47 Posted : 26 October 2015 19:38:58

BigGrin Great start and nice work areaCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

4niertsr
#48 Posted : 09 November 2015 01:40:58

I have been working on the ferring but having some problems with spacing here are some shots of the progress. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
File Attachment(s):
sots 1 size.png (892kb) downloaded 29 time(s).
sots 2 resize.png (1,298kb) downloaded 26 time(s).
sots 3 resize.png (1,084kb) downloaded 26 time(s).
sots 4resize.png (1,396kb) downloaded 23 time(s).
sots 5 resize.png (1,131kb) downloaded 29 time(s).
sots 6 resize.png (1,267kb) downloaded 37 time(s).
Martyn Ingram
#49 Posted : 09 November 2015 08:28:10

BigGrin Hi Tom looking at your pictures you need to do a bit more as some of the frames still look a bit square.

The art of fairing the hull is to take off as much of the wood to allow the plank to sit on the rib and get a nice flow of the plank but without altering the shape of the hull as it is quite easy to take to much off . The best way is to sand a little then check with a plank to see were the high spot is Cool

Hope this helps Reg Martyn

Ps fairing the hull is the job I hate most Mad
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Gandale
#50 Posted : 09 November 2015 09:30:42

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Tom, I think your problems have started before you laid your first plank and believe we need to take you back a few steps. From what I can see you haven't done nearly enough fairing of the ribs nor have you achieved a nice flowing line looking along the hull with your first planking row. I would advise removing the planks you have done and lets get the hull faired correctly. Have a good read through Mr T Official diary from Stage 16, it explains very clearly the process of how to go about fairing the hull and also take a look at some of the other diaries on show..

http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=posts&t=5496

The process of fairing the hull is a critical part of any build to ensure rigidity of the hull and to give the hull that nice flowing look. Take it slow, post pics as you progress with the fairing and we'll be here to guide you along. Removing the planks is a straight forward process, using hot water and a paint brush. Brush hot water where the planks are glued and after a few minutes the glue will soften enough to enable the planks to be removed.

Hope this helps and if you need to come back to us then please do...

Regards

Alan
nightwisher
#51 Posted : 09 November 2015 20:49:50

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hope you don't get too disheartened by starting the planking again,I think everyone hates faring the frames, but has to be done. It took me a couple of days to get it just right,good luck and happy sanding.
Man he took his time in the sun
Had a dream to understand
A single grain of sand
He gave birth to poetry
But one day will cease to be
Greet the last light of the library...We were here!
4niertsr
#52 Posted : 10 November 2015 00:35:20

Thanks for the advice I will retry to get this right.
Gandale
#53 Posted : 10 November 2015 01:36:18

4niertsr wrote:
Thanks for the advice I will retry to get this right.

Hi Tom, remember we're here to help you as much as you need. It is far better to correct things as you go rather than move too far into the build only to find it has all gone horribly wrong. We all make mistakes, it is part of the learning experience we all go through and even the best builders are still continuing to learn.... Cool Cool .. We're here to help you.....

Regards

Alan