Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

15 Pages «<1112131415>
Fozys Build Options
z8000783
#241 Posted : 10 June 2017 07:20:58

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Mast looks great, Foz.
Foz
#242 Posted : 10 June 2017 20:58:54

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi Folks

Just a quick question, i think i know the anser but i am just double checking.

I have decided not to put the sails on the Vic.

Now it says in the magazine that the blocks indicated by a star on the plans must be fitted.

Am i right in thinking that those with stars on are the only ones i need to add, and can leave all the rest off.

Regards

Foz
z8000783
#243 Posted : 10 June 2017 21:05:29

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

I thought it said - 'Need not be fitted'.
Gandale
#244 Posted : 10 June 2017 23:00:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Foz wrote:
Hi Folks

Just a quick question, i think i know the anser but i am just double checking.

I have decided not to put the sails on the Vic.

Now it says in the magazine that the blocks indicated by a star on the plans must be fitted.

Am i right in thinking that those with stars on are the only ones i need to add, and can leave all the rest off.

Regards

Foz

Hi Foz, the answer to your question lies in this post....

http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=posts&t=2403

Regards

Alan
Foz
#245 Posted : 11 June 2017 07:52:12

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hiya Alan

Yes have read that mate, i was just double checking that i read it right thats all

Thanks

Foz
Gandale
#246 Posted : 11 June 2017 08:24:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Foz wrote:
Hiya Alan

Yes have read that mate, i was just double checking that i read it right thats all

Thanks

Foz

No problem Foz, just wasn't sure if you'd seen it or not....Cool Cool .. For me, without sails is the way to go so you can see all that amazing detail on the decks and masts....Cool Cool .. Look forward to seeing her progress....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Foz
#247 Posted : 12 June 2017 11:07:57

Well not a lot to show this time, just the main spar but sharing it anyway.

Thats it for now.

Onto painting the hull next so i might get a bit messy lol

Happy building folks

Regards

Foz BigGrin
ian smith
#248 Posted : 12 June 2017 12:18:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Foz.
Look forward to seeing your painting. It starts to look like the victory when her stripes go on. Ian BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Garth
#249 Posted : 13 June 2017 06:27:36

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Foz,
Masts are coming along nicely. Looking good.
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
DaDokta
#250 Posted : 13 June 2017 10:33:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The main spar looks great! Those wires for the foot-ropes look hard to attach?
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
Foz
#251 Posted : 17 June 2017 17:12:02

Hiya Folks

Fiest off thanks for the great comments as always they are much appreciated.

Anyway, quick question for those that have painted there hull.

I have done some samples on spare timbers using the copper paint supplied and not really that happy with it but could put up with it if needed. Anyway, i see that revel do a metalic copper in there paints, has anyone used this and does it make much difference if it is used instead of the supplied paint.

Regards

Foz
birdaj2
#252 Posted : 17 June 2017 17:45:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Foz wrote:
Hiya Folks

Fiest off thanks for the great comments as always they are much appreciated.

Anyway, quick question for those that have painted there hull.

I have done some samples on spare timbers using the copper paint supplied and not really that happy with it but could put up with it if needed. Anyway, i see that revel do a metalic copper in there paints, has anyone used this and does it make much difference if it is used instead of the supplied paint.

Regards

Foz

Foz

Great job on the spar - very neat piece of work.

If you are hand painting the metallic colours its always best to apply in thinned down layers rather than trying to get the required finish in one hit. A quick rub over with very fine wire wool can help between layers.

Over such a large area your very best option would be to spray the finish as it will go on a lot smoother and (espevially with the weather today) you wil not have the issues with the paint starting to dry on you before you have really got a nice smooth finish if handbrushing.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Foz
#253 Posted : 17 June 2017 17:50:11

Thanks for the advice Tony.

Will have a look for a copper spray as did not think about that.

I also thought that if i did use a metalic paint, then a clear matt varnish over the top may dull it down a bit.

Well have time to decide what to do

Regards

Foz
Foz
#254 Posted : 21 June 2017 09:45:02

Hiya Folks

Well finally got some paint on the hull so things starting to take shape now.

Here is progress so far.

Not happy with my straight waterline so a bit more work on that and also need to paint the hinges on the rudder black.

BUt its getting there slowly.

Any comments are always welcome.

Regards

Foz
DaDokta
#255 Posted : 21 June 2017 12:35:52

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Foz!

Did you use masking tape for your paint job?

I highly recommend Tamiya masking tape. Firmly apply it in a straight line.
I always apply one coat of the colour i am masking off along the tape which seals the tape so that the actual colour you want to paint with can`t run under the tape ( in your case - run the tape along the line on the black side - then paint black along the tape on the copper side - then paint your hull with the copper paint).

Let it dry and carefully remove the tape - and you have a perfect straight line without much effort.

Keep up the good work!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
Foz
#256 Posted : 21 June 2017 12:48:17

Hiya Walter

Yes mate, i did use masking tape but not good enough as there was a bit seeped through.

I made it worse by trying to touch it up by free had which i should not have done with these shaky hands lol

Going to mask it off again and see what happens then.

Regards

Foz
Foz
#257 Posted : 25 June 2017 08:41:36

Hi Folks

SOme advice please

I have re-painted the hull on the Vic and it looks better than before but i would like to protect it more then just with the paint.

I tried a clear matt varnish, cheap one from wilko's but it started taking the paint off instead of protecting it.

Once again i repainted but dont want the same to happen again.

Is there anything i can use that will not strip the paint off as i do not want to repaint it yet again.

Oh and in the end i used the admiralty paints that was supplied.

Regards

Foz BigGrin
DaDokta
#258 Posted : 25 June 2017 12:11:13

Hi Foz,
i always use Tamiya TS-79 Semi gloss clear varnish spray.

Dont put on too much at once. First just a light misty coat - let it dry - then you can put on a little bit more and so on.

Never had a problem so far.
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:

On the shelf:

Completed builds:
Garth
#259 Posted : 25 June 2017 15:35:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Foz,
Sorry to hear about your dilemma. No sound advice from my side as the products in South Africa will differ from yours.
My only suggestion is to do tests on off-cut material to test the compatibility of the various paints & thinner.
Good luck.
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
Foz
#260 Posted : 26 June 2017 19:49:50

thanks Guys

Have ordered somew of that sprey you sugested Walter, will give it a try.

Thanks for the advice

Foz