Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Airfix 1/144 Wasa Options
kpnuts
#1 Posted : 02 October 2015 22:04:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

My new one commissioned by my boss, the Airfix Wasa, I bought it off ebay and I've no idea how it was stored but its warped to hell, its been a real pig to get it together, didn't do it as per instructions as i could not get the deck atattched and level so glued the hull front together then when the glue set glued the rear the glued the deck a bit at a time using loads of masking tape to hold it till dry.

Broke lots of these bits on the top rails (whatever they are) so will have to make some new ones.

Ken's the name modeling's the game.
kpnuts
#2 Posted : 03 October 2015 20:56:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi all I've decided to display it on the turn with the gun ports open and water just starting to enter, I think that's a fitting setting.

Plymouth57
#3 Posted : 03 October 2015 23:00:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good Ken! I had this model all those years ago, she does make up into a lovely looking ship! Unfortunately mine got badly damaged due to an attack from Mum's vacuum cleaner before she was completed and I never did go back to herCrying (the ship I mean, not Mum!)BigGrin
There's something about these old plastic ship kits, they never do seem to store well for extended periods. I've got a couple of ancient ones for the future and both have some degree of hull warping.
Best of luck with this one, if she's anything like the SOTS she'll be a stunner!

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Gandale
#4 Posted : 04 October 2015 00:44:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Ken, this is going to be an interesting build especially in the way you intend to display her... sad end to a wonderful looking ship... As usual will be following your progress....Cool Cool .. Good luck with her...

Regards

Alan
Martyn Ingram
#5 Posted : 04 October 2015 08:48:46

BigGrin Looking forward to this one Ken Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
kpnuts
#6 Posted : 06 October 2015 21:56:31

Hi all well this is going to be a challenge to paint, to say the least, but I've made a start.

Gandale
#7 Posted : 06 October 2015 23:39:19

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Coming along nicely Ken, lot more decoration detail on this kit than I expected, will be interesting to see how it all turns out.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
kpnuts
#8 Posted : 07 October 2015 10:56:26

Hi all here's a question I've been pondering since I started this build. If you were and experienced old sea dog(never sailed a ship in my life, don't know one end of a spar from the other) and you could see what was about to happen, let's say the ship is listing to port, would you jump onto the sea off the port side or hang off the starboard side and wait for it to sink.
Tomick
#9 Posted : 07 October 2015 11:21:12

Groups:

Have you looked at the Wasa Museum website which has lots of photos and a 1/10 model

http://www.vasamuseet.se...bitions/The-Vasa-model/

http://www.vasamuseet.se/en/The-Ship/
Martyn Ingram
#10 Posted : 07 October 2015 11:28:07

BigGrin Hi Ken most of the sailors in 16th 17th and 18th centuries couldn't swim so I think it would be a mass panic and every man for himself Blink

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
kpnuts
#11 Posted : 07 October 2015 21:55:00

Hi all well the transom will have to be done in small pieces, the ornamentation is making me crosseyed

nightwisher
#12 Posted : 07 October 2015 23:16:52

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi ken, really liking the way you are displaying these ships as waterline models looking forward to your seascape effects, by the way i think the last pic looks like some weird amphibious car hybrid.BigGrin
Man he took his time in the sun
Had a dream to understand
A single grain of sand
He gave birth to poetry
But one day will cease to be
Greet the last light of the library...We were here!
Gandale
#13 Posted : 08 October 2015 00:16:33

Very nice Ken, lovely paint work on the ornamentation.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
kpnuts
#14 Posted : 13 October 2015 20:44:17

Hi all a little update, well after exhaustive research(20 mins on google pooped for the rest of the day now) the Airfix kit is a little wrong the little sticky up thing on the top of the rails do not exist(thats great as I thought I would have to make some of those as I broke some whists struggling to get the warped hull together, also there should be another gun port on the second tier down sternwards of the last on on the model, roughly where the little slot is on the kit, I may add it when I find out what purpose the slot is for also the ornamentation above the top rail dose not exist neither does the ornamentation between the rails. not tremendous problems so should be able to sort them.

These are the little sticky up things which I've now removed.

Gandale
#15 Posted : 13 October 2015 23:50:33

Very nice Ken, she's starting to look the part now... well done....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Martyn Ingram
#16 Posted : 14 October 2015 08:23:48

BigGrin Looking good Ken Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
kpnuts
#17 Posted : 29 October 2015 19:06:43

Hi all Airfix missed a gun port on this so I've been racking my brains trying to think of a way of making one and I think I've got it.
first I covered on of them with bathroom sealant to make a mould then I tried to make a resin casting but it was so thin they kept breaking when I tried to get them out, so I thought I need something more flexible so being as how it was so thin I thought just acrylic paint, but that was too flexible and wouldnt come out of the mould so then I thought How can I stiffen it up a bit so I put a thin smear of superglue over it, hey presto it came out, here is the result, I may make another mould and try again as this is a bit chunky probably because of the number of times ive tried using it but at least I know it works.

Gandale
#18 Posted : 30 October 2015 00:07:08

An interesting solution Ken, look forward to seeing the finished item... Cool Cool Lovely work as usual....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Martyn Ingram
#19 Posted : 30 October 2015 07:56:29

BigGrin Very nicely done Ken Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
kpnuts
#20 Posted : 04 February 2018 21:49:49

Hi all well it's been resurrected I've redone the woodwork, I figure if the Hermann Marwede is going to be in a seascape i may as well tag this one in with it.