Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

The Sea Service Pistol Options
Paul
#1 Posted : 12 November 2010 11:32:51

Groups: Registered

Location: Waterlooville, Portsmouth. The home of HMS Victory.
Just collecting militaria is not enough for me I have to study the history of the period also. Here's a snippet for you.

The Sea Service Pistol. .62cal.

Historical Background

In the age of fighting sail, all navies were famous for the patchwork of weapons used on board their ships. The Royal Navy was no different. However by the second half of the 18th century a model of sea service pistol began to dominate amongst the sailors of Britain's navy. While there were earlier versions of the sea service pistol, Britain at the time of the Seven Years War began to produce naval pistols and muskets like never before.
The sea service pistol (12 inch barrel) saw extensive use during the the French and Indian War, the American Revolution and the Nelson's adventures during the Napoleonic Wars. During the 1790s, the barrel was shortened to 9 inches making it more convenient in the tangled mêlées experienced by boarding parties. The shortened version is often referred to as the East India Co. Sea Service Pistol because they were the first to shorten it. By time of the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805 and the War of 1812 there would have been a mixture of lengths of barrel on board ship.

By 1851 it was all change Pistols had become revolvers. Samuel Colt introduced the Colt Navy which can be seen on HMS Warrior in Portsmouth. This one from my collection is the 1851 Rebel. The reason for the brass frame is because the South were short of steel during the Civil War.

1860 arrived and yet another revision by Colt. They introduced the Colt Army model. This one from my collection is the shortened barrel model known as The Sheriff.

The American Civil war in full swing 1860. Lord Palmerston was our prime minister who was busy building and upgrading fortifications on and along the South Coast of England. The fear was an invasion from the French led by Napolian III. Palmerston also nearly took us into the Civil War on the side of the South.

This commemorative revolver is a fully engraved, nickel and gold plated 1860 Colt Army Revolver. Favoured by General George Armstrong Custer, these elegant and reliable revolvers were the workhorse of the US Cavalry from 1860 until 1875 .From my Collection

Napolionic Prisoners of War.......Yep we had them.

They were held at a huge POW camp at Norman Cross. The remains of the world's first ever purpose-built prisoner of war camp, at Norman Cross in Cambridgeshire, built in 1797 to house 7,000 Napoleonic troops.

That concludes my history lesson for today.... Thank you for reading I hope you found it interesting.
jonny7england
#2 Posted : 12 November 2010 12:41:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Absolutely brilliant collection Paul and saw the Time Team programme about Norman Cross in Cambridgeshire, on Wednesday night all, many of the inmates were French naval prisoners, all very fascinating stuff...
BigGrin
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
Trotsky
#3 Posted : 12 November 2010 12:50:25

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Thank you Paul very interesting indeed
H.M.S Victory
H.M.S Victory X Section
H.M.S Surprise under the bench
D-51
Mike Turpin
#4 Posted : 12 November 2010 13:54:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month

Hi Paul

I would echo what the others have said - very interesting -- thank you.

There is quite a lot about the Norman Cross dig at Norman Cross

You can also catch the programme again if you missed it. Well worth watching!

Paul - your sea service pistol looks in pristine condition, I assume its a replica. The originals usually looked in a much worse state, it needs pointing out that as firearms they were less than effective, only hit anything at very short range and were regarded as more lethal when held by the barrel and used as a club!!

Mike T
Paul
#5 Posted : 12 November 2010 21:30:32

Location: Waterlooville, Portsmouth. The home of HMS Victory.
Hi Mike, you are quite correct this model is a reproduction and can be viewed on the Henry Crank website. I could never afford the real thing from 1805. (I could if I won the lottery, but as I don't do the Lottery I couldn't)Laugh

Specifications

The gun has a 9" tapered barrel with a steel rammer. These reproductions are simply beautiful, complete with historic proofing markings. The .62 calibre barrel is made of tempered seamless high carbon steel (type:BS970 no.080M40) with a threaded breech plug. Each size comes with a 7 1/2 inch steel belt hook. The lock is made with strong durable springs and has a case-hardened frizzen (hammer) that throws good sparks. a cyanide case-hardening factory process is used that makes sparking both more reliable and longer lasting.

It should be remembered that these pistols were not designed to shoot any distance and would be used only after boarding or being boarded. 25 yards was ample distance for the weapon to be affective. I have used mine at the black powder ranges in Havant and can confirm that shooting over 25 to 50 yards is fairly affective with good grouping. Plenty of smoke and a big muffly bang......Awesome.

Rear Admiral Sir Horatio Nelson sporting a long sea service pistol during the Battle of St. Vincent in 1797. During this event Nelson first captured a Spanish ship then used his prize to board and capture another.

Mike Turpin
#6 Posted : 13 November 2010 00:08:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month

I have the same problem with the lottery -- now I know why I haven't one anything for yearsFlapper

You have made me jealous now, its even more years since I had the opportunity to fire black powder weapons. A neighbour had a couple of 19th century muzzle loading percussion cap sporting guns. Because he was recovering from an operation and couldn't drive I took him up into the hills on Sunday mornings to fire at clay pigeons at his club. The best morning was when another member let me fire his flintlock gun dating from the 1850's. Apparently this was a rare honour!

Mike T
karl1113
#7 Posted : 13 November 2010 10:17:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

thanks paul,keep the history lessons going,much enjoying them,can't wait for more.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/