Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

8 Pages <12345>»
Martyns San Felipe build Options
Martyn Ingram
#41 Posted : 16 November 2015 12:37:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Hi all Cool

I am still on planking mode and have now reached the side of the ship Cool

The planking on the side starts at the join and go up past the first set of gunports and up to the top deck Cool

To break up the planking I did some more planking but in micro scale as I have planked the ships boat lol as the instructions says to paint it brown but I want it to be a all wood finish so I had some very small strip in my bits box just right for doing the job Cool I must admit it was very fiddly and a few swear words later it is now finished BigGrin

Right back to planking the hull and thanks for looking rgd Martyn

Martyn Ingram attached the following image(s):
ships 147.jpg
ships 148.jpg
ships 153.jpg
ships 155.jpg
ships 158.jpg
ships 164.jpg
ships 165.jpg
ships 167.jpg
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
ian smith
#42 Posted : 16 November 2015 13:36:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Martyn.
Looking superp. look forward to seeing your progress IanCool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Martyn Ingram
#43 Posted : 16 November 2015 18:25:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Thanks for looking in Ian and the nice comments Cool
I'm really enjoying this build as I am making a few changes and customising some bits Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Gandale
#44 Posted : 16 November 2015 23:42:57

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking great Martyn, ships boat looks superb and credit to your patience.... Very well done...

Regards

Alan
magpie1832
#45 Posted : 17 November 2015 08:49:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Your going great guns on her. Its taking shape quickly. Your doing a great job love the ships boat.
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

davetwin
#46 Posted : 17 November 2015 16:41:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Lovely clean looking work there Martyn, the ship boats look pretty damn fine too Cool ThumpUp
mogwai
#47 Posted : 17 November 2015 18:17:51

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi this one fine looking ship.and your doing great job on her.look forward to seeing your progress.cheers mick.BigGrin BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
Martyn Ingram
#48 Posted : 20 November 2015 13:21:13

BigGrin Thank you all for looking in and the brilliant comments Cool

I have finally finished the first planking of the hull last night and applied some filler to the low points and left to dry Cool

This morning I went out side in the freezing cold to sand this baby down as the better half would have kittens if I did it indoors Crying After a couple of hours and shivering the hull is sanded down Blink

Next up is the second planking on the stern but that's for later tonight Cool

Cheers for looking rgd Martyn

ships 168.jpg
ships 170.jpg
ships 171.jpg
ships 172.jpg
ships 173.jpg
ships 174.jpg
Building ?
Next Build ?
Gandale
#49 Posted : 20 November 2015 15:22:33

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Excellent work with the planking Martyn, looking great....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Martyn Ingram
#50 Posted : 20 November 2015 16:04:20

BigGrin Thanks Alan for the bril commentsCool

I now have Hypothermia but it was good to get it done LOL Laugh
thank goodness all the other planking can be done indoors Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
nightwisher
#51 Posted : 20 November 2015 20:43:22

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Lovely job on the planking martyn,looks nice and smooth.Bad timing on the outdoor sanding though,your timbers must be well shivered BigGrin
Man he took his time in the sun
Had a dream to understand
A single grain of sand
He gave birth to poetry
But one day will cease to be
Greet the last light of the library...We were here!
jase
#52 Posted : 20 November 2015 23:24:46

she is coming on nicely nice job of the first plankingCool

I fancy this kit myself and my Cutty subscription has just completed I am quite tempted but hanging around just yet just in case something new comes along in the new year, if not think this is my next modelspace kitBigGrin

J
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Martyn Ingram
#53 Posted : 20 November 2015 23:46:14

BigGrin Go for it Jase it is a very nice kit and you can do as much as you like to enhance this ship Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
Martyn Ingram
#54 Posted : 20 November 2015 23:49:20

BigGrin My timbers are definitely shivered Nightwisher LOL how I suffer for my art LOL

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
jase
#55 Posted : 20 November 2015 23:57:36

Martyn Ingram wrote:
BigGrin Go for it Jase it is a very nice kit and you can do as much as you like to enhance this ship Cool

Rgd Martyn

yes there is some etch to replace from the pictures i have seen. but if i subscribe Modelspace will do something new and I will miss the boat, thats what happened with the sovereign release Blink
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Martyn Ingram
#56 Posted : 23 November 2015 13:10:22

BigGrin Yep I am in the same boat Jase not quite sure what I am going to do yet Confused

Right back to the build . I have put the second planking onto the stern and bow very pleased the way it looks Cool

Next job planking the sides. I have thought a lot about this and have decided to plank in two different woods to give a two tone finish a bit like the Santa Ana and the Victory and to achieve this I have to thank Alan for helping me out on this as he sent me the bass wood that he had left over from his SotS so thanks again Alan ThumpUp . This approach I would not recommend to the first time builder and it might come back to bite me Blink but anyway I marked the side to the centre of the gunports so the planks would lineup I must admit it has gone a lot better than I expected. I still have to clean up the gunports but will do that later when I frame the ports Cool

Next discussion is what colour to stain the light wood any help would be greatly appreciated Confused

Comments good bad or ugly would be brilliant but not to many ugly ones as I might blub LOL LOL

Thanks for looking rgd Martyn

ships 175.jpg
ships 176.jpg
ships 178.jpg
ships 181.jpg
ships 183.jpg
ships 186.jpg
ships 190.jpg
ships 193.jpg
ships 196.jpg
Building ?
Next Build ?
Gandale
#57 Posted : 23 November 2015 14:49:12

Thanks Martyn, happy to be able to help out...Cool Cool .. Thinking of your plans for planking I would be very tempted just to coat the light wood with Danish oil, the more coats you apply the darker it will become. Because the wood is so light in colour I wouldn't go near any kind of woodstain without a good practice session first, could turn out to be very patchy otherwise....Cool Cool .. Build's looking fab and look forward to your next update.

Regards

Alan
arpurchase
#58 Posted : 23 November 2015 19:27:10

BigGrin Hi Martyn

Nice work so far as for a colour for the light wood you could try using a burnt umber or sepia wash like I used on the Agamemnon just water it down by 50% and add a coat then let dry if you want it darker add coats until your happy but let then coats dry as it darkens off as it dries.

Regards

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Martyn Ingram
#59 Posted : 24 November 2015 09:13:06

BigGrin Thanks for the information Alan and Andy I will buy some Danish oil and some wash and have a play around with some scrap wood ThumpUp

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
Martyn Ingram
#60 Posted : 25 November 2015 12:53:28

BigGrin Hi all Cool

Just a little update Cool

I have finished the first side of the San Filipe. It's all trimmed and a lightly sanded down. Cool

Next step planking the other side Cool

Cheers for looking Rgd Martyn

ships 198.jpg
ships 199.jpg
ships 200.jpg
ships 201.jpg
Building ?
Next Build ?