Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages 123>»
Fozys Cutty Sark Options
Foz
#1 Posted : 13 November 2010 14:22:36

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I have subscribed to the cutty sark also so i have something else to do while the planking drys on the Victory. Only had 2 issues so far but here is the progress.

Well cant do any more than that untill the next issue. There are bits with this issue which are not in the instructions so i can only presume that the next set of instructions covers were they go.
karl1113
#2 Posted : 30 November 2010 10:50:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

hi fozie,yes the bits left over are indeed for later,a word of warning,follow the parts list,they are in order of the build,I wish I knew that earlier,would have made less mistakes,the part list are not numbered,but the building description tell you the name of the parts so you can cross them off the parts list.and only fit the parts from the build,don't be tempted to go a little further like me,I had to buy more wood and redo the decking because I thought "well I've got the wood,why not do it"then when the next buid instruction came,I had to rip the decking off and start again.the instructions are sparce to say the least,but follow them to the letter.on this prodject the parts list is your bible,backed up by the instructions.
in my build the pics show this decking mistake,and why I did'nt stain the second lot of decking.you have waterways around the edge of the deck,in a different colour wood.hope this helps you with your cutty sark.
make no mistake this is a quality kit,and no expence spared,in my opinion is better value then the victory.I might even do a second one,knowing what I know now
p.s.when you do the planking,some of the planks are for futher work Bulwarks and bulwark covers.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
Foz
#3 Posted : 30 November 2010 19:58:43

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Karl
Thank you very much for that, it helps a great deal. Just hopeing now that i dont loose any of the parts not used yet, Ive numbered them so now just need to find some were safe for them.
Well hopefully will get 3rd delivery in around a week, so will give me something else to do over christmas leave.
Once again karl, Thanks for that info.

Foz
karl1113
#4 Posted : 11 December 2010 10:52:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

a little further info:-when fitting the waterways,soak them over night,because it is easier to get the bend of the bow set,if you pin as you go,the bend is much easier to set,this has got to be accurate,as the stanchions holes will be drilled into these waterways,again the instructions are a little hazy,try to get the lengths of the waterways right.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

Foz
#5 Posted : 11 December 2010 17:51:25

Thanks for that Karl.

Not got the instructions yet, got part 3 parts, so will have to ho;d on there for a while.

Hope you dont mind if i pester you for help when they do decide to mail them to me.

Foz
Foz
#6 Posted : 01 January 2011 17:34:18

Well thats it again untill the next parts arrive. Just had to plank the rear deck. I have not stained it yet as im still a bit unsure as to what colour to use as the poster that came with part 3 shows it to have very light decks so will ponder that over for a while.

As always any comments and tips are allways welcome

Foz
karl1113
#7 Posted : 01 January 2011 22:00:18

very nicly done fozzy the ply on the sides of the quarter deck,I did'nt get them,from what I remember I planked them with 3x1mm.strange?

Foz
#8 Posted : 02 January 2011 18:52:46

Thanks Karl.

It said i with the instructions on part 3 to use them, it was part number 29 whch came with the 2nd delivery. They were on the same sheet of ply that the rear deck was on.
After looking at your build, with the front of that deck slightly higher i have got confused as it says in the instructions that they should be the same level as the deck plate, but the front is slightly higher, and im not sure if i should sand it down to the deck level.

I still think the instructions we are getting for this model are poor and could be a lot better.

Well waiting for the next parts to come for this one so back to the victory build.

All the best
Foz
karl1113
#9 Posted : 02 January 2011 21:12:47

happy new year foz,yes you will need to sand the ply level with the deck,you will see why later.

Foz
#10 Posted : 12 January 2011 12:20:14

Thanks Karl.

Well the next parts have arrived. Have just put the waterways on. A slight misshap when i broke one trying to bend it but it seems to have gone on all right.

Time to start the planking on the deck now.

Happy building folks

Foz
Ricademus
#11 Posted : 12 January 2011 12:40:44

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looking good Foz I've only just started mine so not far behind you

Rick
Cutty Sark

Lancaster bomber

McLaren
MWG
#12 Posted : 16 January 2011 19:57:50

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Foz

I have laid the Keel and fitted the ply decks, I am working between San Fransisco 2, The Victory and the Cutty Sark.

Your build is great!

I will keep in touch.

MWG
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Foz
#13 Posted : 17 January 2011 19:52:04

HI lads

Thanks very much for the comments. I have since the last pics done the planking on the main deck, but as im back at work, pics will have to wait till next weekend till im home. Just hope i done it right.

Again. thanks for the nice comments

Foz
karl1113
#14 Posted : 17 January 2011 20:23:11

nicly done foz,starting to look good now,how 'bout some pics mwg???

Foz
#15 Posted : 22 January 2011 08:39:02

Well thats the decking finished almost. I tried an antique pine stain but thought it was to dark so just need to find out what i really want to colour the decking with.

Well thats it for this month untill next parts and instructions arrive so back to the Victory.
Ricademus
#16 Posted : 22 January 2011 13:43:24

Nice one Foz mate BigGrin
Cutty Sark

Lancaster bomber

McLaren
Foz
#17 Posted : 30 March 2011 10:06:19

Well have made a start on the hull planking. However. the pics in the instructions only show the middle and not the stern or the bow.

So im asking Karl, if he dont mind if this looks right on the bow were i cut the planks in line with the false keel.

Any comments appreciated.

Cheers lads

Foz
karl1113
#18 Posted : 30 March 2011 11:33:15

hi foz,it looking like you need more fairing on the frames,are you fairing as you progress downwards? as this is a clipper,I planked the bow so that it came to a point,by following the line of the deck,you can always adjust later.this is where the instructions are very vague.KEEP checking that you are only using 5mm wide planks,I somehow used 6mm by mistake,and later did'nt have any left to do other work.also bear in mind that you are double planking,and only plank as far as the pics show,other work on the stern follows in the next batch.

Foz
#19 Posted : 30 March 2011 11:57:50

Chears Karl.

I am doing more fairing as i go along.

Do you recomend then that i take of the bow planks and replace them so thet they come together past the false keel?

Regards

Foz
Ricademus
#20 Posted : 30 March 2011 12:13:16

Nice one Foz mate

Rick
Cutty Sark

Lancaster bomber

McLaren