Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages 123>»
Greyhawks Victory Cross-Section (Phase 19/30) Options
greyhawk
#1 Posted : 29 October 2015 00:56:29

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Thanks to a member of another forum, I have now also finally received the complete kit for the cross section (a feat the official german distributor was unable to succeed in for months. Four months.).

So without further ado, let's start up building the cross section.

With issue 121 we receive the first four ribs for the cross section. You really want to use the rib template as supplied to glue the ribs together, otherwise you'll never be able to get them in the correct shape. One thing that was a bit strange is that the connecting studs to the fret sit exactly on the parts you need to glue together, so you need to be extra careful sanding these extra flimsy parts. I have no idea why they would do this.

I have treated the outermost rib with Lord Nelsons base coat to protect it.
davetwin
#2 Posted : 29 October 2015 02:16:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice to see you make a start on this as well, you are certainly a busy boy with all your partworks currently on the go Cool
greyhawk
#3 Posted : 29 October 2015 02:30:07

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

davetwin wrote:
Nice to see you make a start on this as well, you are certainly a busy boy with all your partworks currently on the go Cool

Hopefully starting up the Countach soon too. Waiting for my first delivery.

Luckily the cars and D51 really only take about an hour per month all things considered and the tank is mostly about figuring out which parts to snip off to get things to fit and a whole lot of waiting for paint to dry.

I will start up another ship, when the cross section is done and the big one is ready to get it's copper plating. I figure it'll take me about a year to get the tiling done and I'll need something else in between to not go crazy. The girlfriend has expressed interest in owning the Black Pearl, but I don't really see me building two sail boats at once, so it's likely going to be Bismarck or the Titanic.
greyhawk
#4 Posted : 31 October 2015 02:18:55

Stage 2

Assembling the remaining ribs

These somehow made a lot more trouble than the first stages ribs. I'm not quite sure why, but I had to take apart and reglue ribs 6 and 7 again because the parts tended to drift apart during drying, strane.

Does anyone know if parts 1 and 9 (delivered with issue 121 and 122s frets) are actually used? Reading ahead through the whole build I did not find any place when they will be used.
Gandale
#5 Posted : 31 October 2015 11:10:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking good, look forward to your next update....Cool Cool .. As for parts 1 and 9, not sure if these are actually used further down the line but best just to set them aside for now in case needed later.... It has been known for some parts to be provided and not used, this is sometimes down to changes in the parts where manufacturers simply leave the old parts on frets rather than remove them, new parts being provided on another fret. If parts 1 and 9 are used later then hopefully someone who has build this will be able to clarify further.... Cool Cool ... Hope this helps.

Regards

Alan
Tomick
#6 Posted : 31 October 2015 12:17:01

Groups:

If I recall rightly they are unused as there was a slight change to the design.

Nice start Cool
greyhawk
#7 Posted : 05 November 2015 18:41:25

Thanks Mr. T Smile

Stage 3

Building up the "ribcage" was a lot of fun. No really. I'm serious this time.

It's amazing how well "in line" the ribs turned out to be, I was really worried I'd have some misangled ribs in there especially after having to tear apart the ribs to the stern once or twice during step 2. But they pretty much sit perfectly where they should.

Fixing the additional rib segments took quite some waiting time between steps (a day per row) but the result is certainly worth waiting for.

I have treated the outsides of the outermost ribs with anothe round of Lord Nelsons Base Coat after sanding flush the locking rods, which is why they're a bit shiny in the photo. This'll be gone after the coat dries.

Also I'm utterly amazed how well this balances itself. It doesn't even try to topple over. Yet.
Martyn Ingram
#8 Posted : 05 November 2015 19:36:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Very nicely done looking forward to seeing more Cool

Reg Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
delboy271155
#9 Posted : 05 November 2015 19:41:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Well done Greyhawk. Cool Cool

That looks like quite a complex framework, of which you appear to have made an excellent job.

Looking forward to what is yet to come, keep up the good work.Drool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

arpurchase
#10 Posted : 05 November 2015 19:48:40

BigGrin Very nice work Cool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#11 Posted : 05 November 2015 19:50:04

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looks great, very nicely put together.....Cool Cool .. Look forward to your next update....

Regards

Alan
davetwin
#12 Posted : 05 November 2015 22:02:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

It's taking shape nicely BigGrin great job ThumpUp
greyhawk
#13 Posted : 08 December 2015 00:25:21

Man, this took a while. Blink

Phase 4 - Outer planking from keel to the gun deck

I know the picture is fuzzy in the back, but I quite like how it looks that way

So I took my sweet time on this. Wouldn't have thought i'd need a month to reach this stage, but on the other hand I WAS ill for part of it and I also chamfered each and every plank to make it look as good as possible. For my first actual planking (disregarding the little launch) I think it looks quite alright.

Who am I kidding? It's gorgeous. Cool LOL

The worst part was sanding down the planks edges to the level of the outer ribs really. The wood is so hard and dry it would not give way to whatever I attacked it with, shrugging off 40 grit sand paper like it was molten butter. Instead of doing the smart thing and buying a coarse file, I wanted this done NOW and so I spent the last three hours getting the edges baby bottom smoothly flush. Also I'm in a lot of pain now and probably need a doctor.

It still refuses to topple, btw. I sometimes look at it and go "Why won't you fall? Whyyyy?". Mostly when I'm tired.
Gandale
#14 Posted : 08 December 2015 00:35:54

Wonderful, a lovely piece of work to date... very well done....Cool Cool .. You may think it has been slow going but it was so worth it....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
michu
#15 Posted : 08 December 2015 01:17:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

greyhawk wrote:
The worst part was sanding down the planks edges to the level of the outer ribs really. The wood is so hard and dry it would not give way to whatever I attacked it with, shrugging off 40 grit sand paper like it was molten butter.

One word: Permagrit. The best spent money ever. Not counting that one time when... well, I'll leave that story for some other time.

Anyway, great job, it does look sweet and silky-smooth.
Makes me want to go downstairs and plank something.
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

Happy building :-)

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
greyhawk
#16 Posted : 08 December 2015 01:25:09

michu wrote:
Not counting that one time when... well, I'll leave that story for some other time.

That reminds me, I still owe you something. Gonna be able to deal with that Wednesday hopefully, so maybe it'll arrive before Christmas.
Martyn Ingram
#17 Posted : 08 December 2015 07:43:18

BigGrin Lovely work on the planking Greyhawk very neat Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
arpurchase
#18 Posted : 08 December 2015 17:56:47

BigGrin The force is with the model I think and she looks fabCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

davetwin
#19 Posted : 08 December 2015 21:23:09

Looks like you've got a bit of a knack for ship building, it's looking very nice. He effort you put into chamfering the planks really shows Cool
stevie_o
#20 Posted : 08 December 2015 23:37:35

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal