Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages <1234>»
Greyhawks Victory Cross-Section (Phase 19/30) Options
magpie1832
#21 Posted : 09 December 2015 00:32:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Your doing a grand job there Greyhawk.
Keep up the good work.BigGrin
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

greyhawk
#22 Posted : 11 December 2015 23:02:36

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Phase 5 - Planking the hold

Not much to say about this. This phase was nice and easy with all the training I got in phase 4.
arpurchase
#23 Posted : 11 December 2015 23:20:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Your doing a fine job there ,well doneCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#24 Posted : 11 December 2015 23:35:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Have to agree with the others, she's looking good, you're doing a great job on this one....Cool Cool .. Very well done....

Regards

Alan
greyhawk
#25 Posted : 16 December 2015 23:59:35

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This goes a lot quicker once you know what you're doing.

Phase 6

Added the rest of the external planking and built the mast step (not glued, just fitted for the photo). It's beginning to look like a ship now.
Gandale
#26 Posted : 17 December 2015 09:00:57

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Now that is tidy work, very well done indeed....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
davetwin
#27 Posted : 17 December 2015 12:07:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Awesome, I looks so perfect. Enjoying watching you put this together ThumpUp
greyhawk
#28 Posted : 17 December 2015 13:02:29

Only perfect if you dont look up close. Got a bit of a height discrepancy in the planking of about 2 millimeters between the starboard and port side. Have to see how to deal with this towards the end of the build.

Currently spending my vacation day shaping the mast. I'm going to have hand cramps. LOL
greyhawk
#29 Posted : 18 December 2015 11:31:12

Phase 7

Formed the mast and built the pump well with munitions storage. Nothing in the interior (but the planks) is glued in yet. Had a bit of a fright when as I was setting up the photo the model finally toppled over dislodging the mast and pumpwell then both dropping to the floor with the mast neatly smashing the pumpwell to smithereens. Luckily I could salvage it. The photo is from after that happening.
michael.rolph
#30 Posted : 18 December 2015 16:48:30

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great progress so far

Is the hull single or double planked?
greyhawk
#31 Posted : 18 December 2015 17:30:49

michael.rolph wrote:
Great progress so far

Is the hull single or double planked?

It's single planked. The inside will be stained, the outside will be painted. I have not decided on the lower hull yet, but I will likely lay down copper tiles. krick has tiles in the right scale. Easier to find than the ones for the BIG Viccy at least.
greyhawk
#32 Posted : 21 December 2015 03:14:12

Phase 8

Finished planking the hold and installed the riders. Had a bit of a miscut when doing the plank right where the deck knees are at one of the knees, but luckily I could make it largely invisible by gluing some left over piece into the hole. Have to go looking for it myself if I want to see it now. Should probably stop that.

I purposefully switched around the instructions for this phase, gluing together each lengthwise half of the rider parts first then adjusting the fit by filing and sanding. This saved a LOT of time especially considering how much adjustment work is needed. Doing it the other way around as suggested in the instructions would have led to double or triple the amount of adjustment work or rather complete and utter catastrophe.

Now for the display stand and it is high time, things are getting increasingly wibbly-wobbly.
Martyn Ingram
#33 Posted : 21 December 2015 08:02:19

BigGrin Looking very neat Greyhawk Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
greyhawk
#34 Posted : 22 December 2015 00:02:56

Thanks Martyn Laugh

Phase 9

Installed the false keel and built the model stand. Next up we're finally getting some color in this. I'm very excited to see how this looks stained.
Gandale
#35 Posted : 22 December 2015 12:32:47

Looking good, very well done....Cool Cool .. Look forward to seeing some colour being added.

Regards

Alan
greyhawk
#36 Posted : 23 December 2015 23:35:51

So I've got a bit of a problem with the wood stain. Apparently I have some sections saturated in glue that won't accept the stain. What's the best way to deal with this? I suspect sanding those areas and re-staining them?
greyhawk
#37 Posted : 24 December 2015 01:50:15

So, yeah, did that and that helped a lot. Although the hold is now several orders of magnitude darker than I orginally intended. Turns out I like it much better this way. It actually adds to the "This is a ship that's been in use for 40 years at this point" look.

greyhawk
#38 Posted : 24 December 2015 02:19:08

Looks like I made the right decision.

The actual Victory too is a lot darker than the instructions imply.

Martyn Ingram
#39 Posted : 24 December 2015 07:50:05

BigGrin Very nicely done the stain looks brilliant Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Gandale
#40 Posted : 24 December 2015 09:17:23

Looking great and well done on dealing with the glue spots. Best way to deal with glue spots is to ensure you use a damp cloth and wipe away any overspill of PVA when applying. Once PVA has soaked into the wood it is unlikely any amount of sanding will remove it. preventing woodstain from penetrating the wood evenly and leaving spot marks.Cool Cool Cool .. Keep up the great work and I look forward to your next update.

Regards

Alan