Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

D51 almost complete.... Options
mbl
#1 Posted : 04 November 2015 03:56:17

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

I have the D51 about 99% completed. I have built gazillions of models but never anything that wasn't plastic, and not painted. Couple questions.

Building this thing requires a lot of handling, and unforgiving super glue work. I got thru without any glue mistakes. But there many various kind of "marks" from the hours of handling. Is there anyway to get all the metal back to looking new again?

And the running gear works... sort of. It kind of jerks around a little instead of being super smooth. Where should I look to troubleshoot that? Lot of parts and screws; could be a lot of things. I'd rather never turn it on, than take it apart and rebuild.

Thanks.
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 04 November 2015 10:03:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin HI mbl

Glad to hear your nearly finished on the build as for cleaning you will need to get hold of the biggest ultrasonic cleaner you can afford and dip it in that for a few hours , not realy im joking. For the removal of the finger prints and marks its down to a mild polish that can be bought at your local hardwear store and some elbow grease. It may be a good idea to use a clear coat of sorts to seal the surface and prevent future tarnishing Mr Gunze do an aqueous clear coat that will do just fine. Have added a link as an example so you can find the same product probably cheaper in your neck of the woods.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...5e8f:g:EjAAAOSwGWNUV-B-

Now for the running gear mine was the same and as long as it turns fully without fowling anything all should be fine, if it is catching somewhere its probably down to a nut or bolt being on the wrong way so just reversing it should fix it. When its on the base the gear runs fine under power just remember to turn the last boiler hoop to one side or it will shread the silicone tube joiner.

Regards

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

darbyvet
#3 Posted : 04 November 2015 16:56:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

COngratulations on your build.Post some pics please.

As far as the running gear goes I had an issue with the slide that is just behind the cylinder.On one side it was binding a bit so I loosened the screws a little and it was much smoother.I would also check that the piece of silicon pipe that connects the motor to the gears is not rubbing against one of the scrwews from the boiler bands..They do mention in the instructions that you have to move the scrwew holding the last boiler band away from the centerline or it will interfere with the silicon pipe.I also had this issue and once I moved the boiler band it woprked fine.

Carl