Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Owen's Build Diary Options
owensephiroth
#1 Posted : 09 November 2015 20:33:13

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi fellow model builders.
I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to start a build diary.
I've been building the Millennium Falcon, and then i saw the Sovereign of the Seas model and fell in love with it. I was just about to order it and the Halloween sale sealed the deal for me!

Been reading lots about different techniques as this is my first wooden ship build. Might even go down the treenailing route as I've seen some fantastic results from other build diaries!

I've done lots of glueing, clamping and filing and sanding so far.
I've built a little dry dock and it's really helping to keep the boat straight. Thinking about the balsa infills for the hull to give it some more support and keep the ribs properly spaced and to make my planking easier seen as this is my first build!

This model is HUGE and I'm getting very excited already about how amazing it is going to look when it is finished in a couple of years!

Here are some pics of my progress so far!

I've not glued on the bowsprit yet which is why its a little off center!
What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion...
Current builds - Deagostini Sovereign of the Seas and Millennium Falcon
nightwisher
#2 Posted : 09 November 2015 21:07:17

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hello and welcome to the sovereign gang,looks like you've made a cracking start,as for being huge wait until you get the masts and bowsprit on BigGrin .As for infills I did this at the bow and found it quite useful.I decided not to treenail as I thought the scale was too small,something I later regretted after seeing other builds, gandales and martins for example.Crying
Man he took his time in the sun
Had a dream to understand
A single grain of sand
He gave birth to poetry
But one day will cease to be
Greet the last light of the library...We were here!
Broven
#3 Posted : 09 November 2015 21:13:35

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the forums. It looks like you're off to a great start. I agree with Nightwisher, balsa infills at the bow are very helpful. It's the trickiest bit of planking that I've seen so far, and they really take some of the guessing out of it. Looking forward to seeing your progress. BigGrin
Tim Johnson

I came here in peace, seeking gold and slaves. - Jack Handy

Builds: Sovereign of the Seas, Amati Chinese Pirate Junk
owensephiroth
#4 Posted : 09 November 2015 21:14:46

Thanks for the welcome. I'm currently looking for the best deals on balsawood for the infills!

It was gandales build where I first saw the treenailing and thought it gave an excellent look to the hull.

I'm also researching some miniature carpenter models that i can place alongside my dry dock while I build it!

Tomick
#5 Posted : 09 November 2015 22:01:23

Groups:

Welcome to ModelSpace and congrat's on your first medalCool

Grea start and hope you enjoy your builds!
arpurchase
#6 Posted : 09 November 2015 22:26:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Welcome to the forum and enjoy your build, looks good so far. If your unsure of anything then just ask theres loads of help on here if its needed.

Regards

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

davetwin
#7 Posted : 09 November 2015 22:48:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the fold Cool

It's quite daunting when you start your first wooden ship build as I found when starting mine.

If your ever not sure of anything just ask on here, there a lots of talented and friendly ship builders here that have also helped me when I needed it.

Good luck with your build ThumpUp
Martyn Ingram
#8 Posted : 09 November 2015 22:52:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Welcome to the forum Owen looking forward to seeing your build. The balsa Infills will help in getting a nice run to the planks Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Gandale
#9 Posted : 10 November 2015 09:49:29

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Welcome to the forum Owen, it's great to have you aboard. Looks like you are off to a great start and I look forward to following you progress. Good luck with the build, we're here to help if you need us....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
jonny7england
#10 Posted : 10 November 2015 19:07:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome aboard Owen..Looks like you have made a great start there...I hope that you thoroughly enjoy this fantastic ship...Look forward to following your build diary...
Smile ThumpUp
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
owensephiroth
#11 Posted : 13 November 2015 01:20:54

So I bought a small bundle of balsawood to play around with.
Cut out some rought sections that i would sand down to conform to the hull
Am I better off buying larger blocks or just laying together thinner sheets and gluing them together?
The thing sheets are quite easy to cut!

Not doing anything permanent yet. The little notches are so that there is still room for the drydock to hold the frame

Martyn Ingram
#12 Posted : 13 November 2015 08:33:17

BigGrin very nicely done Owen. I tend to use thinner bits of balsa wood I found it easier to cut them to the right size to fit between the frames than a thicker peace Cool A little tip is to make sure the balsa woods grain is in line with the keel ie straight up and down as that makes it easier to carve to the shape of the ribs Cool Hope this helps.

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Gandale
#13 Posted : 13 November 2015 09:25:18

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Yep, see nothing wrong with the infills so far. Also, do make sure when you fit the infills the ribs still remain square and true, the infills should slide into the gap between the ribs easily without the ribs moving. Well done..

Regards

Alan
owensephiroth
#14 Posted : 13 November 2015 18:58:13

Thanks for the advice. I will continue along this plan then and source a bigger bundle of balsa wood from ebay!

Thanks for the advice about the grain direction!
owensephiroth
#15 Posted : 13 November 2015 19:32:57

Ordered the balsa!

Is it worth investing in a Dremel/rotary tool for this project at all?

I've been tempted to get one for the falcon build, and this one may tip me over into buying one!
Gandale
#16 Posted : 13 November 2015 23:37:40

owensephiroth wrote:
Ordered the balsa!

Is it worth investing in a Dremel/rotary tool for this project at all?

I've been tempted to get one for the falcon build, and this one may tip me over into buying one!

Hi Owen, I myself have a dremel rotary tool and have used it on a number of occasions on my build and of course other builds too.. That said, everything on the build can be done with hand tools, just takes a little longer...Cool Cool .. You'll also find the dremel has many other uses other than model building.....Cool Cool

Hope this helps..

Regards

Alan
Broven
#17 Posted : 14 November 2015 14:38:42

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I too have a Dremel and have used it on my build. It does make short work of some tasks. But, as I found when using it to cut my gun ports, it does what it does a little faster than you might expect at first, and it's easy to go too far. Glare I think it's a great tool, and do recommend it, but make sure you practice with it a bit before turning it loose on your ship.
Tim Johnson

I came here in peace, seeking gold and slaves. - Jack Handy

Builds: Sovereign of the Seas, Amati Chinese Pirate Junk
owensephiroth
#18 Posted : 03 August 2016 20:00:56

I really should have posted this as I was going along but I’ve been quite busy.

Made lots of progress since my last post but the planking is taking me much longer than I was expecting

I got lots of Balsa wood and cut out all they layers to build up the infills. Here are some pics of them sitting loose in the hull at the moment. I measured as best I could and glued each block together and the tried to file and sand it to get as close to the two ribs it was sitting against.

When I had them all dry fit and measured. I glued the infills in and let them set for a while. I glued them in one at a time and clamped where possible where i had clamps to fit the gaps

Then I sanded down once as a complete hull to get an even form with as little bumps as possible. It felt really solid at that point which is a nice feeling.

Next I filled in the gaps with wood filler and the sanded it once more

Before starting the planking I wanted to use the launch both to get some practise at the method. Here are some pics of the results. I was quite please with it and it left me feeling confident for the planking of the main hull

Then after I had done the launch planking. I decided to get started on the main hull and did the underside of the Galley. I feel like it’s is a little bit more curvy than it should be but it looks less so in person. The pictures make it look more curved than it actually is.

Then I layed the first plank along the hull. An exciting moment! Even took the picture before I wiped off the glue because I was eager to get a picture. I’ve been using the candle inside the tin can method to do the bending. I wasn’t keen on the whole soaking and drying method.
I found just nailing straight into the bamboo would split it. So i have been measuring, cutting, bending, and then drilling the points where it will be nailed. I’ve been doing a single plank and its opposite at the same time, and sanding and shaping together to help maintain the symmetry.

Then on to the bottom of the hull. Filing and shaping these first few planks on the bottom was very tricky and took me quite a while.

Got the top 6 rows done and the bottom 4 done!

I was quite pleased with my progress on the planking and decided to sort all the bundles at one go, so they were all the same width and thickness as there was some deviation in the sizes. When this was done I found I had 40 more bundles to lay on the hull, or close to that!

Worf was not impressed.

It has been taking me about an episode of Star Trek to lay down a single row across both sides of the hull, so I guess i have about 30 hours left to go before the first planking is done!
I feel like my progress is too slow but I think I am doing it in the most efficient way possible. Does anybody have any neat tricks to speed things up without dropping in quality?
Martyn Ingram
#19 Posted : 03 August 2016 20:09:11

Lovely work on the planking Owen looking forward to seeing the next update

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
birdaj2
#20 Posted : 03 August 2016 20:12:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Go at your own pace is the best advice. Its never a race to build a model and whatever time it takes you just enjoy the experience and get the best out of your build investment.

All looks like its coming along a real treat.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach