Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Richard's Trumpeter SA-8 'Gecko' Build Diary Options
richmal
#1 Posted : 14 November 2015 23:45:44

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi guys (this WILL work sometime)

This will be my first attempt at creating a diary of one of my builds. I am not an expert modeller or painter but I enjoy what I do and am happy with my end results.
I use some PE when it's available and try to add very minor scratchbuilds if it will enhance the model.

On this occasion I will be building Trumpeters SA-8 'Gecko' almost straight OoB. There is one piece which I will try to replicate inside the hull but since it can't be seen once the hull top is on I won't worry if it turns out wrong.
richmal attached the following image(s):
001 - SA-8 'Gecko'.jpg
richmal
#2 Posted : 14 November 2015 23:47:11

The initial part of the build is preparing the internal hull cabin. Both sides of the missile controllers positions are extensively moulded and from photos appear to be fairly accurate in their representation. Trumpeter supply individual decals for each panel which you could either attempt to lay over the raised detail (very hit & miss) or remove the raised detail and apply the decals to a flat surface. I decided to hand paint the raised detail for, hopefully a better end result.
001 - SA-8 'Gecko'.jpg
Gandale
#3 Posted : 15 November 2015 00:13:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Rich, great to see something new and looks like an interesting kit. Looks forward to seeing how this turn out and it doesn't matter about modelling skills, its the fact you enjoy what you do that is most important, its what the hobby is all about.....Cool Cool.. Thanks for sharing....

Regards

Alan
ModelMania
#4 Posted : 15 November 2015 18:50:20

Groups:

Hello Richard, nice to see a new military build on the forum.

This looks like a very interesting subject and I shall be watching your build with great interest. Looks like you've made a very nice start, I think you went the right way with the control panels by not removing the moulded detail and using the decals? That moulded detail looks very good and I think you've made a superb job of painting it, definitely an improvement on the look of those decals?

Very well done Richard, looking forward to seeing more of this build. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
delboy271155
#5 Posted : 15 November 2015 21:24:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Richard, BigGrin

Good choice of kit and painting the detail was the best decision.
Great result. Cool

Looking forward to the next instalment.

Congratulations on your "Blue" medal.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

davetwin
#6 Posted : 15 November 2015 22:44:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Interesting looking build, will be following Cool
richmal
#7 Posted : 15 November 2015 23:38:42

Thanks for the comments guys.

Completed the second of the main cabin panels using a few decals that have dial representations too small for me to paint.
richmal
#8 Posted : 15 November 2015 23:39:47

002 - SA-8 'Gecko'.jpg
richmal
#9 Posted : 21 November 2015 19:52:00

Continuing with the interior cabin detailing i now move on to the crew seats. As in most cases in standard plastic models the crew seats are re fairly basic with little or no showing of wear or use. To overcome this I tend to cover the padded part of the seats with kitchen foil. Initially screwing it up and then gently teasing it out to get a sort of texture. This is then superglued over the kit part and folded down the sides of the seat. Any overlap is removed with a sharp craft knife. The result is then undercoated and then given a coat of the required seat colour. This now gives you a rougher surface which can be drybrushed to bring out the detail.
003 - SA-8 'Gecko'.jpg
004 - SA-8 'Gecko'.jpg
005 - SA-8 'Gecko'.jpg
birdaj2
#10 Posted : 21 November 2015 20:38:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Now that is a very good idea.

Looks like you have a good base coat on that foil as its a difficult thing to try and get paint to stick onto.

Very inspiring build - many thanks for keeping the updates coming.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
richmal
#11 Posted : 21 November 2015 22:10:18

thanks Birda.
It has a basecoat of car primer followed by the general interior colour coat before the black went on. A light drybrush of Rubber/tyre black brought out the subtle shading.

Results of the interior. The panel at the rear was taken from the only reference photo I could find of the rear interior of the cabin. Cropped the image to the required size, printed and glued in place using No More Nails glue.

Whoops, forgot photos.
richmal
#12 Posted : 21 November 2015 22:12:34

007 - SA-8 'Gecko'.jpg
006 - SA-8 'Gecko'.jpg
008 - SA-8 'Gecko'.jpg
davetwin
#13 Posted : 21 November 2015 22:33:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thats a fantastic idea and looks really effective!

I will remember this method as I have a few builds in my stash that will have seats that need doing Cool
delboy271155
#14 Posted : 21 November 2015 23:12:40

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Richmal, BigGrin

This is coming on a treat and tips I`ve not seen before.Love

WTG
Cool Cool Cool

Keep it going, I`m enjoying this and noting the tips for future use.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

richmal
#15 Posted : 21 November 2015 23:30:59

I picked up the tip from a build on a BTR60PB, and tried it for the first time on my own kit. The foil can be cut and folded to show rips on the seating.
001 - Hull interior (2).jpg
Gandale
#16 Posted : 22 November 2015 10:29:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking great Rich and some really nice tips there, thanks for sharing.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
ModelMania
#17 Posted : 22 November 2015 11:07:17

Groups:

Great build so far Richard and those 'foiled' seats look very realistic when painted up, especially with the simulated tears - very well done. Cool ThumpUp

Starting to make some good progress with this build and I'll be watching it all the way - nice job. ThumpUp

Kev Smile
richmal
#18 Posted : 23 November 2015 17:05:34

Time to see if my idea of lighting is going to work. LEDs of 'pico' size with a switch and coin battery are supplied by a US Model Train shop. The battery and switch will be housed in the base of the radar/missile array unit.
With house lights turned off in a fairly dark room this is the result.
009 - SA-8 'Gecko'.jpg
010 - SA-8 'Gecko'.jpg
richmal
#19 Posted : 23 November 2015 17:12:02

Moving on to the suspension. The instructions do not tell you that the front and rear wheels are steerable, albeit individually. I discovered this after cementing part D7 to parts D15 on my first sub assembly. Sub assemblies (A-A) & (B-B) snap fit onto D15 and E10 respectively. The centre wheels are fixed so sub assemblies (E-E) and (F-F) can be cemented throughout but you need to ensure that the wheel hub is at right angles (90 degrees) to the suspension. The first photo shows where not to cement, the second is the suspension units ready to be undercoated. I plan to spray the wheel arches and suspension units with Base Russian Green before moving on. In that way I'm not going to have to fiddle around big wheels to get it all coated with paint..
011 - SA-8 'Gecko'.jpg
012 - SA-8 'Gecko'.jpg
davetwin
#20 Posted : 23 November 2015 17:28:16

Great work with the lighting, it looks really cool Cool